League Cup Group E

3 hours ago, ropy said:

Somewhat annoying, tugging shirts, pulling folk back, carrying the ball away from the scene of a free kick, testing the ref’s patience, just annoying, probably limited ability.

Did Lasley not have a good career at Motherwell doing just that?  I doubt many Motherwell fans moaned when he did it.  I can't say I noticed McCart (14) doing anything too outrageous but fans of Premiership teams are probably more used  to looking out for petty behaviour from players. 

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

All true.

It would have been nice to see the key incident from the first half, as well as the occasional replay.  The goalkeeper was badly at fault for both injury time goals.  Let's assume they weren't typical, but Martin or Robinson would have been absolutely slaughtered for either of them.

Glad someone else had said this McCorire gets down in his knees to save the 2nd if he stands up he saves it .

The 3 rd he was slow to get across seem to take him by surprise if that is Martin then the whole thread  is about how bad a goalkeeper he is .

McCorire kicking was poor as well apart from that he was fine!!!

6 minutes ago, Northfield 53 said:

Glad someone else had said this McCorire gets down in his knees to save the 2nd if he stands up he saves it .

The 3 rd he was slow to get across seem to take him by surprise if that is Martin then the whole thread  is about how bad a goalkeeper he is .

McCorire kicking was poor as well apart from that he was fine!!!

To be honest, I wouldn't particularly fault him for letting in the shot for the third - it was well placed and went in off the post.  I'd be more inclined to blame the defenders for allowing too much room and time for the shot.  The goalkeeper was however at fault for his kick in the first place.  As you say, he seemed uncomfortable with his feet a few times.  

If he can command his box at all convincingly, he'll be an upgrade.  It wasn't the best of home debuts though.

"If that was Martin" argument has been used by more than one person since Saturday.

It's utter nonsense. The reason Martin got pelters last season was because he kept making the same mistakes. If McCrorie continues to make the same mistakes then he'll receive similar pelters. Comparing him after one game to the donkey we had between the sticks last season is completely laughable.

7 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

"If that was Martin" argument has been used by more than one person since Saturday.

It's utter nonsense. The reason Martin got pelters last season was because he kept making the same mistakes. If McCrorie continues to make the same mistakes then he'll receive similar pelters. Comparing him after one game to the donkey we had between the sticks last season is completely laughable.

The young fella deserves a chance and will hopefully serve us well.  

The fact that he can mix it up when it comes to errors, isn't the greatest attribute though.

Our opener at home to Dumbarton tonight is a hiding to nothing really. Everybody expects Dumbarton to be pish due to their well-documented problems behind the scenes as well as the doddery transfer window clown managing the team, but for tonight at least they've got nothing to lose. If Dumbarton can organise themselves well (Duffy's typical M.O) and look to play on the break, then they could quite easily take this half-baked Morton team to penalties or even win over ninety minutes. Getting an early goal is key to limiting the chance of that happening.

I think our chances of getting out of this group are lamentably slim. Motherwell seem well-prepared to hand out our customary bleaching at Fir Park on Friday night; and while we are at least narrow favourites on paper in the other three matches, stringing together all three wins that would likely be needed to finish as a best runner-up is quite unlikely. 

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The young fella deserves a chance and will hopefully serve us well.  

The fact that he can mix it up when it comes to errors, isn't the greatest attribute though.

The inevitable comparisons with Martin when our goalie makes mistakes or loses a goal will probably be a tedious feature this season  unless McRorie has 40-odd clean sheets. Martin is an experienced keeper who was prone making regular mistakes or failing to deal with situations that were his to deal with. McRorie on the other hand is a young,  relatively inexperienced keeper who will probably make mistakes because if that inexperience.  What I've seen of him so far at Morton and here though fills me with a bit more confidence that we've appointed  an upgrade. 

1 minute ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

The inevitable comparisons with Martin when our goalie makes mistakes or loses a goal will probably be a tedious feature this season  unless McRorie has 40-odd clean sheets. Martin is an experienced keeper who was prone making regular mistakes or failing to deal with situations that were his to deal with. McRorie on the other hand is a young,  relatively inexperienced keeper who will probably make mistakes because if that inexperience.  What I've seen of him so far at Morton and here though fills me with a bit more confidence that we've appointed  an upgrade. 

Yes, I think and hope that's the case too.

The statement that Martin would have taken a lot of stick had he made Saturday's errors, is however entirely valid and true.

The statement that Martin would have taken a lot of stick had he made Saturday's errors, is however entirely valid and true.
He wouldn't have taken stick on his first appearance for us, or even his second though. He took the stick because of continual errors.

9 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
13 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

He wouldn't have taken stick on his first appearance for us, or even his second though. He took the stick because of continual errors.

Yes, that's probably true as well.    I actually remember Martin being showered with praise on here in an early game where he'd really had nothing to do, but was lauded for looking commanding and comfortable.  His performance was used to strike a contrast with the Robinson antics we'd recently endured.

I'm all for this new goalkeeper being supported and given the benefit of any early doubt.  I just don't think we need to pretend he was blameless for all of Saturday's goals.

Excellent highlights
Good views of penalty and should Queens have had one first half?

I never saw it on the day but that's a stonewaller. I wouldn't have been screaming for a red card though. He never knew much about it but the fact it's a goal if his arm isn't there means it's a penalty for me.

The Motherwell one is a blatant dive. Mercer might have brushed him but he manages to jump after that. If he is capable of staying on his feet (which he clearly was) but chose to go down then it's a dive.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Our opener at home to Dumbarton tonight is a hiding to nothing really. Everybody expects Dumbarton to be pish due to their well-documented problems behind the scenes as well as the doddery transfer window clown managing the team, but for tonight at least they've got nothing to lose. If Dumbarton can organise themselves well (Duffy's typical M.O) and look to play on the break, then they could quite easily take this half-baked Morton team to penalties or even win over ninety minutes. Getting an early goal is key to limiting the chance of that happening.

I think our chances of getting out of this group are lamentably slim. Motherwell seem well-prepared to hand out our customary bleaching at Fir Park on Friday night; and while we are at least narrow favourites on paper in the other three matches, stringing together all three wins that would likely be needed to finish as a best runner-up is quite unlikely. 

By all accounts we were well organised on Saturday so hopefully the same again tonight. I do think we may struggle though, a few young guys with very little experience in defence and not much up front at the moment, despite Ryan Tierney's best efforts he can't do it on his own.

We all expected Annan to embarrass us on Saturday so I think we're all just content that we weren't a complete shambles. We may well prove to be a shambles tonight but I hope not.

52 minutes ago, overthetop said:

Excellent highlights

Motherwell penalty is never a penalty. If Mercer touches him at all it's a brush of the toe and it doesn't cause him to go down. He then drops his own knees and goes down voluntarily. I didn't initially think it was a dive but actually looking at that again it pretty much is.

Ours is a more difficult call actually. It certainly hits his arm and it certainly prevented the ball going into the net. New rules on handball mean that if it's no deliberate act (and I don't think he did deliberately move hand to ball, on the contrary, I think he's trying to get his hand out of the way) then it's about whether the position is part of the "natural silhouette". His arm is initially wide of his body but by the time it actually contacts him, as he's trying to move his arm behind him I think, it's pretty much by his side. As much as I want that to be a penalty, it probably would have ben harsh too. It's more of a penalty than theirs was so we got unlucky on two marginal decisions. Both could have gone the other way but they certainly didn't even out.

On 14/07/2019 at 11:29, Fae_the_'briggs said:

We have a very good camera guy who produces excellent highlights,  although as a volunteer he fits it in around his proper job,  so the highlights  may not be as quick to appear as some other clubs' do. 

2 hours ago, overthetop said:

Excellent highlights

Aye, that's good work all right.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't have given either decision personally with the benefit of replays, but in real time I can see why the 'Well penalty was the more likely to be awarded.

2 hours ago, overthetop said:

Excellent highlights

I didn’t think it was a penalty at the game but it looks like a little bit of contact and he fell over so maybe, didn’t think the QotS shout was a penalty although I haven’t studied the new rules, but not enough seagull action for me 

I didn’t think it was a penalty at the game but it looks like a little bit of contact and he fell over so maybe, didn’t think the QotS shout was a penalty although I haven’t studied the new rules, but not enough seagull action for me 
It doesn't matter if there was a little bit of contact or not. If he could stay on his feet but chose to go down then it's a dive. It's spouted out constantly by pundits: "he felt contact so he's entitled to go down" - is he feck! The problem is most people seem to buy in to this drivel.

Rory Loy, Isaac Layne and Conor Scullion confirmed out for Dumbarton this evening. Expect Duffy will go with the same team again, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him give Langan a game ahead of Zata, and he may well give Brennan a shot in goal as I don't think he's decided who the number 1 is yet.