Scotland vs England - June 9th, 5pm

5 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

If you’d rather watch Man City knock it about in their own half that’s your choice. Personally I like to watch aggressive football that sees the ball moved forward quickly. Have you tried watching walking football? Lots of nice touches and passing.

Aggressive punt it long football has kept Scotland in the dark ages while other countries, minnows, have overtaken us.

If that’s what you want than that’s fine. Just don’t expect any talent to flourish in that environment.

That’s one of the stupidest posts going. What are the respective attendances at women’s games? Even top flights games, not big show piece finals etc that are about £5 to get in to. Even that game today was about 1/4 full. I didn’t want to come on and slag the women’s game, it doesn’t deserve that, but when you get daft posts like yours comparisons have to be drawn. 

You don’t agree so it’s stupid. Attendances show the regard which League One/Two Football is held in by the general public. And that’s with clubs who’ve been on the go for over 100 years. So slightly ahead of women’s football with a 100 year start.

2 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

No normal functioning person would state that the quality in Scottish lower leagues, for a bunch of part time jobbers, is anything but substandard - with flashes of brilliance. That doesn’t mean it can’t be entertaining. I love entertainment at junior games (sic) but that doesn’t mean there’s much quality. 

Each to their own though and this isn’t really relevant to today’s game so don’t want to detract from it. 

Absolutely. I used to coach an amateur team and we had some stonking games in front of one man and his shit bored dog.

41 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Aggressive punt it long football has kept Scotland in the dark ages while other countries, minnows, have overtaken us.

If that’s what you want than that’s fine. Just don’t expect any talent to flourish in that environment.

That’s absolute garbage. Aggressive, direct football can be extremely good to watch and involves lots of skill. Iceland a prime example.

Edited by Muzza81

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

You don’t agree so it’s stupid. Attendances show the regard which League One/Two Football is held in by the general public. And that’s with clubs who’ve been on the go for over 100 years. So slightly ahead of women’s football with a 100 year start.

You literally made the comparison now are peddling some nonsense about a 100 year head start. Are attendances in Scotland even bad? No, they aren’t. So it is stupid. Do you expect towns the side of Cowdenbeath, Brechin, Annan to draw massive crowds? It’s all about context - something you aren’t grasping.

Football can go both ways at any level - if you're genuinely interested in the game over and above any emotional attachments or affiliations you may hold, then you'll be able to be entertained or thoroughly bored in almost equal measure by either the Champions League final or a bunch of hungover fatties clogging it out on a council pitch on a Sunday mid-morning. 

In general, I find women's football games less entertaining than men's games, and that can largely be attributed to the biological differences between men and women and the resultant impacts on the flow and nature of matches. Whether the goal and pitch size should be reduced or not, while they remain in-line with those used in the men's game, then matches will always tend to be played at a lower tempo and keepers (particularly the smaller ones) will struggle to save ostensibly savable-by-a-male shots, which will lead to gammons queuing up to point and laugh at their efforts. It also can't be forgotten that the Women's World Cup has only existed since the early 90s and that organised women's football worldwide only really came about a hundred years after the male equivalent, so there's still a huge amount of catching up needing done, but things are quickly moving in the right direction.

Lots of people moan about the relative over-exposure of the women's game, but that's what is required to grow it, make it more competitive and entertaining and bridge the quality gap to the men's game. More and more girls are, thankfully, engaged with the game now and we've seen huge strides in this country in the past five to ten years alone with the women's game.

If you don't like it then don't watch it; there's no need to callously point to the obvious flaws in something which is evolving and improving at a rate of knots. It's nice being able to add women's football to the enormous list of things Muzza is rattled by, though, having said that. 

Jinkies, getting made to look like an idiot regarding Harvey Swann has really upset you. Do you have any more insider scoops you can share with us all? You know, the ones that turn out to be completely made up. 

1 minute ago, the_bully_wee said:

If you don't like it then don't watch it; there's no need to callously point to the obvious flaws in something which is evolving and improving at a rate of knots.

One of the (many) things I find wearisome about the Americans I live amongst is their relentless obsession with putting down anything and everything relating to football. It's no less tiresome to see male football fans doing the same thing to women's football - or women's sports in general. "They're not as good as men", "they're paid too much", "her genitalia don't meet my standards", "get intae these bitches', "Nicola Sturgeon will be steaming" and on and on and on.

It's a game. Just a game.

Just now, Muzza81 said:

Jinkies, getting made to look like an idiot regarding Harvey Swann has really upset you. Do you have any more insider scoops you can share with us all? You know, the ones that turn out to be completely made up. 

There's no more sure-fire way to announce how rattled you are than by bringing up completely irrelevant arguments from a completely different forum, Murray. Everything you've posted there is absolute shite, additionally, though I won't derail this thread by taking you to task about it. I think you should have a wee lie down or, failing that, try to stroke one out over the thought of Tony Pulis. You've pulled your own pants down here, and it's actually a little bit sad to see.

Football can go both ways at any level - if you're genuinely interested in the game over and above any emotional attachments or affiliations you may hold, then you'll be able to be entertained or thoroughly bored in almost equal measure by either the Champions League final or a bunch of hungover fatties clogging it out on a council pitch on a Sunday mid-morning. 
In general, I find women's football games less entertaining than men's games, and that can largely be attributed to the biological differences between men and women and the resultant impacts on the flow and nature of matches. Whether the goal and pitch size should be reduced or not, while they remain in-line with those used in the men's game, then matches will always tend to be played at a lower tempo and keepers (particularly the smaller ones) will struggle to save ostensibly savable-by-a-male shots, which will lead to gammons queuing up to point and laugh at their efforts. It also can't be forgotten that the Women's World Cup has only existed since the early 90s and that organised women's football worldwide only really came about a hundred years after the male equivalent, so there's still a huge amount of catching up needing done, but things are quickly moving in the right direction.
Lots of people moan about the relative over-exposure of the women's game, but that's what is required to grow it, make it more competitive and entertaining and bridge the quality gap to the men's game. More and more girls are, thankfully, engaged with the game now and we've seen huge strides in this country in the past five to ten years alone with the women's game.
If you don't like it then don't watch it; there's no need to callously point to the obvious flaws in something which is evolving and improving at a rate of knots. It's nice being able to add women's football to the enormous list of things Muzza is rattled by, though, having said that. 
Muzza's post was rational and reasonable though, and although I disagree with him he put his case well - without resorting to some of the embarrassing 1980s sexist patter that appears so frequently.

I also get annoyed by the overexposure of women's football, but I acknowledge that it's necessary (so often I've clicked on an intriguing story on the BBC sport website only to realise it's a women's football signing).

2 minutes ago, the_bully_wee said:

There's no more sure-fire way to announce how rattled you are than by bringing up completely irrelevant arguments from a completely different forum, Murray. Everything you've posted there is absolute shite, additionally, though I won't derail this thread by taking you to task about it. I think you should have a wee lie down or, failing that, try to stroke one out over the thought of Tony Pulis. You've pulled your own pants down here, and it's actually a little bit sad to see.

Ah good old P&B “rattled” patter copied and pasted countless times throughout the forum. How original. Carry on “the_bully_wee”.

2 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

One of the (many) things I find wearisome about the Americans I live amongst is their relentless obsession with putting down anything and everything relating to football. It's no less tiresome to see male football fans doing the same thing to women's football - or women's sports in general. "They're not as good as men", "they're paid too much", "her genitalia don't meet my standards", "get intae these bitches', "Nicola Sturgeon will be steaming" and on and on and on.

It's a game. Just a game.

I think it's something which is sadly present across society now, the relentless pursuit of perfection and the brutal exposition of flaws in everything, at the expense of appreciating that which is good. Women's football has a lot of growth and improvement to go, and I'm not mad keen on the general product (at present) myself, but equality between men and women should be championed wherever possible and, as such, there should be optimism around the women's game and the direction in which it's headed. Pointing and laughing at it just because they're not as good is just pathetic tbh.

When Scotland was very good in the 60s/70s/80s we were playing good football within the confines of an aggressive game. Would you say that those players had no talent?

1 hour ago, J_Stewart said:

It was clearly a joke you humourless bore.

It was an attempted joke, but it missed its mark and came across as entirely graceless.

That's why she immediately backtracked, you er... gormless fucking cretin you, or some such gratuitous insult.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

7 minutes ago, Muzza81 said:

Ah good old P&B “rattled” patter copied and pasted countless times throughout the forum. How original. Carry on “the_bully_wee”.

Why else would you bring up an entirely irrelevant dispute from another area of the forum? You are clearly absolutely livid, and it's not my personal fault if that falls within a typical P&B convention. Maybe it's a sign that you should try to manage how angry you become while online? Anyway, I'll let you back to the Junior forum now, where you can gush over the entertainment value to be found in its games.  

1 minute ago, the_bully_wee said:

Why else would you bring up an entirely irrelevant dispute from another area of the forum? You are clearly absolutely livid, and it's not my personal fault if that falls within a typical P&B convention. Maybe it's a sign that you should try to manage how angry you become while online? Anyway, I'll let you back to the Junior forum now, where you can gush over the entertainment value to be found in its games.  

^ word salad.

Hope I did it right.