Scotland vs Cyprus saturday match thread

Oleksandr

4 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Scotland need two centre halves that can be comfortable on the ball when going forward, mckenna never looks like it and it inevitably goes to his centre half partner or the fullback near him, 

A centre half that can stroll forward with the ball and force the opponents to break their shape to shut him down is badly needed when playing teams that will put men behind the ball

Luckily those kinds of players are ten a penny

• Replies 998
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we’d have looked a lot better if Forrest and Fraser had joined Brophy in pressing the Cyprus defence a bit more. However we won’t need to do that against Belgium as it will probably be backs to the wall.

Would switch Mclean out for McTominay for Belgium and Burke for Brophy.

17 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

You need one centre-back to do that, but not necessarily both.

Maybe, however if you as a striker know one is duff and one is good on the ball, you stick close to the one that's good on the ball, 

They dont need to be able to play 50yard beckham style passes, its more the confidence to drive forward and commit an opponent bwfore finding that ten yard pass, mckenna isnt that at all

All in, a pleasing if stressful win.

The positives:

McKenna and Mulgrew had a good game together and looked a viable partnership to move forward with. McKenna is a bit raw with his passing but he can defend, which is the primary job of a defender.

McLean had his best game in a Scotland shirt so far.

Fraser and Robertson really is a dreamy partnership on the left flank. No surprise that both goals came from there.

Good contributions from all three substitutes when they came on. Clarke called all three correctly. I would be surprised if all three didn't start on Tuesday.

Our shape, discipline and defensive structure were much better than under McLeish (not difficult).

Our response to the equaliser was top drawer.

Negatives/things to be built on:

Too ponderous in midfield for too long in the game. Lacked some direct action in the central area. Every time we start without Armstrong, we struggle to link the centre of midfield to the striker. Vital to how we want to play.

McGregor and Forrest looked out on their feet after a long season, particularly McGregor. That should not take away from the effort of either, who put in reasonable displays.

I just don't quite understand John McGinn's game enough to appreciate him. Fantastic work rate and running but his quality on the ball is often lacking. Thought he was average last night.

Brophy really lacked support from the middle of midfield and was left an isolated figure too often. Not his fault but he will likely be frustrated.

The goal we lost, poor moment from Andy Robertson. Basic error that could have been really costly.

Echoed all my thoughts. Mctominay and armstrong have to start for me midweek, third place up for grabs. Mcgregor maybe my favourite scottish player to watch but he looks knackered right now

23 minutes ago, Darren said:

John Souttar.

If he could actually defend he would be perfect.

If Burke learns the CF role, and gains some footballing intelligence from somewhere, he could be a perfect there too.

31 minutes ago, 54_and_counting said:

Scotland need two centre halves that can be comfortable on the ball when going forward, mckenna never looks like it and it inevitably goes to his centre half partner or the fullback near him, 

A centre half that can stroll forward with the ball and force the opponents to break their shape to shut him down is badly needed when playing teams that will put men behind the ball

Very few countries will play with 2 centrebacks that will step forward with the ball. We're hardly blessed with loads of options anyway.

Aside from the pair last night, there's Souttar & Bates and not a lot else.

Robertson, Mulgrew & 5 midfielders should be more than capable of starting moves.

Your first point is a good one and reminds me of that old football cliche that a team must play to their strengths, we’ve got players capable of putting good balls into the box so it helpful if there’s a guy in the box who actually has a chance of winning an aerial challenge, i.e. Burke.

Disagree with second point though, Brophy was dug meat, out his depth.
Burke is now being hailed as a good-in-air striker? Every time I've watched him he been the very definition of dug-meat.

Brophy didn't have a great game last night but far too many folk are writing off his entire career based on one game, which is just daft. I also don't know where the hatred for O'Donnell comes (and I'm an ayr fan FFS). He did fine, and that run in the second half almost resulted in a worldy.

We're not blessed with talent, incase anyone hadn't noticed. Clarke will mould his team well, and hopefully get it right.

I thought we were far, far too cautious in the first half last night, but ultimately we got out of jail - and the win was all that mattered. Against Belgium the opposite is true. I think our performance matters much more than the result (it's a free hit, but I want to see us compete more than last time against them).

I wouldn't have booed, but I'd have been audibly exasperated with some of the slow build up of the first half. We let them dominate the early exchanges, and never put them under enough pressure. But in the end, it's a win.

The problem wasn't Brophy - he can't do much with the pishy service he was being served up by Fraser and in particular, Forrest.

Oli Burke definitely offers more in the air, but he wouldn't have got to most of those crosses even if he was standing on top of Brophy.

Forrest was the biggest disappointment. He was anonymous. The only thing he did all night was constantly freeze with indecision and put in dreadful crosses. 

For the Belgium game, I'd start Oli Burke for his physicality. That's all he is, though. He's never seemed like mush of a striker, even in a Celtic side which gets loads of chances.

I'd bring on Brophy or Russell later.

We have to Forrest again and I doubt he could play as shite again, but if he does freeze on the night, who do we have to replace him?

Nothing I saw from the Scots last night suggests they will be anywhere near the next Euros or any major tournament any time soon, it was the usual dire performance against one of the weakest international sides in the world. Belgium will destroy them in midweek.

I was also at the game and had a similar impression of it. None of the players necessarily played that badly - they all did the things that they're good at - but as a team it didn't really click.

The most important part of Clarke's team at Killie (and at West Brom I think) was his midfield three. Last night he had three guys who are all very good players in their own right, and none of whom did anything wrong, but they were all a bit samey. The game was crying out for an Armstrong to inject a bit of energy. McTominay made a difference when he came on - his passes had much more zip to them. Before that, Marshall was the only guy who seemed to be playing with any urgency.

The centre-backs were generally fine - having a brave one like Mulgrew who is comfortable on the ball is important on nights like that. Robertson was an excellent driving force, especially in the second half. I also thought O'Donnell was OK - he still looks a bit lacking in confidence when he's on the ball compared to the one man attacking machine I watch at Killie. You saw a bit of that with his chance in the second half though, and hopefully Clarke can drag it out of him. From a defensive point of view, I can't remember his man getting past him.

Fraser was very good at driving us up the park and was probably my man of the match, but as you say the crosses generally weren't great. Forrest was a bit ponderous in attacking positions but looked dangerous.

Brophy looked a bit lost at times but did an absolute power of work (as he always does) which might not have been obvious on TV but seemed to be appreciated by the crowd. He was left very isolated in the first half and none of the midfield were helping him press. He's 23 and this was a big step up for him, so it seems a bit harsh to immediately write him off given our lack of alternatives. You wouldn't want to be relying on him for a whole campaign so hopefully Griffiths can get himself back healthy. Burke impressed me for once, even before the goal. He was a good threat in the air and linked up well. However I think he'd be an empty shirt against Belgium - I'd still go for Russell there.
Quoting the whoke post here but its the part about McTominay that is precisely what I found most noticable and impressive about him. And tbh, not something I really expected from him given what I have seen of him. He moved the ball with pace, accurately and forward most of the time. His passing was excellent and he held a commanding position just behind the more forward thinking midfielders which for me, if he had started would have seen him totally boss that game.

Its always a bit different coming into a game but usually it goes the other way. Rare for someone to take control of a midfield like that from the bench. Pleasantly surprised. He needs to be starting for me. I know we need to be wary of starting folk purely based on who they play for but that crisp fast passing is what the tops clubs drill, and in our team it can certainly be a catalyst for upping the tempo and getting moves going rather that slow sideways stuff.

Also, the anti-O'Donnell squad are talking out of their arses.

He played fine, almost got the 2nd after a typical  lung-bursting run and didn't give away any goals (unlike Robbo).

McGinn seems to have at least one serious howler for Scotland every time he plays and nearly cost us a goal last night, but he avoids criticism.

McKenna and Mulgrew were made to look like a pair of fannies as they allowed a guy to run onto a simple pass straight through the middle of them.

I accept that the squad need time to play together and to get to know the style of play. Unfortunately, the next game is against the best team in the world.

Luckily Sir Steve's Clarke's in charge.

If he thinks McGinn, McKenna, O'Donnell, Mulgrew, Forrest etc are good enough, then that's fine by me.

Nothing I saw from the Scots last night suggests they will be anywhere near the next Euros or any major tournament any time soon, it was the usual dire performance against one of the weakest international sides in the world. Belgium will destroy them in midweek.
^^^ Seething cos SSC hates his big team

GIRUY stupid ***

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

^^^ Seething cos SSC hates his big team

GIRUY stupid ***

This has nothing to do with Rangers or any other club for that matter, but you can never resist bringing them into any debate can you? Knobend.

For the record, I think Steve Clarke is the best man for the Scotland job, but the quality of player just isn't there and that was painfully evident again last night and if I was a Scotland fan I would be tearing my hair out watching that knowing that's the best team they could realistically hope to put out.

11 minutes ago, MJC said:

We're already in the playoffs :rolleyes:

Very lucky to get the win last night, taking it to the corner flag against Cyprus at home is the most peak Scotland thing i have ever seen.

We sat off them far too much, brophy done nothing but had no service at all, like others are saying, i would start burke against Belgium just for his pace and more physical presence.

O'Donnell had another shocker imo, looked scared to cross the half way line and he has no pace. 3 times quick kick from Cyprus keeper caught us out, 3rd time led to the corner they scored from because that tosser Forrest let the ball bounce, honestly dont see what this guy does, wont track back, pulls out of tackles and cant beat a man. Fraser and Roberston are streets ahead of anyone else in the team in terms of quality.

We are in a position due to the humping in Kazakhstan, were we now need to take something from the games against Belgium, on last nights showing it is a very long shot.

Just now, F_T_Y said:

'Donnell had another shocker imo, looked scared to cross the half way line and he has no pace.

I thought O'Donnell looked limited but he is fast as f**k and he almost scored a one on one

Honestly don't understand what people are watching sometimes

Archived