Scotland vs Japan, 14th June, 2pm

lichtie23

After the disappointment of our narrow defeat to the auld enemy Shelley Kerrs girls face Japan in Rennes. The 2nd half against England was very encouraging so hopefully they can kick on and get a positive result against the champions of Asia.

The game will be shown live on BBC1 and Alba starting at 1.30

Just now, Scary Bear said:

As Japan won the World Cup in 2011 i’m assuming they’re still pretty good. No?

I've heard they're a team in transition with a lot of their best players retiring. But I notice they won the Asian championships last year and also the under 20 World Cup, so it's reasonable to assume they are decent opposition!

Intrigued to see how the game goes today...

I've heard they're a team in transition with a lot of their best players retiring. But I notice they won the Asian championships last year and also the under 20 World Cup, so it's reasonable to assume they are decent opposition!
Intrigued to see how the game goes today...

They mentioned yesterday in commentary that Japan are gearing more towards the olympics than this tournament.

Japan will be undoubtedly favourites but if the Scottish girls can maintain the form they showed in the 2nd half yesterday I don’t see any reason they couldn’t get the win. Final delivery need vast improvement tho

44 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Shite, I’ll be at work. I’ll need to have the surreptitious iPlayer screen setup for this one.

We’ve really got a shot here though! Anybody heading over to this one? Probably the least appealing of the three tbh.

We're heading for the ferry from Portsmouth tomorrow, 5 nights in Carnac on the south coast of Brittany then 4 near Paris. We can get to the last 16 match if we get through.

For me this is the most appealing location of the three, Brittany is a beautiful place and I'm more into coasts than cities. We're back there if we finish second in the group, though I'm hoping for Grenoble.

We're heading for the ferry from Portsmouth tomorrow, 5 nights in Carnac on the south coast of Brittany then 4 near Paris. We can get to the last 16 match if we get through.
For me this is the most appealing location of the three, Brittany is a beautiful place and I'm more into coasts than cities. We're back there if we finish second in the group, though I'm hoping for Grenoble.

Fantastic! Doing the same as us and making it into a holiday. We had a night in Paris and three in Aix-En-Provence. In CDG airport just now, it’s a fair buzzkill!

15 minutes ago, RussellAnderson said:

Fantastic! Doing the same as us and making it into a holiday. We had a night in Paris and three in Aix-En-Provence. In CDG airport just now, it’s a fair buzzkill!

Did you not follow Del Amitri's advice? You're coming home too soon!

I was in France in 98, the only match we got to was Morocco (sigh) but we were in Paris and Bordeaux for the games there. We had a few days in Annecy between the second and third games, a really great holiday just after I'd finished uni. Went to Italy in 1990 as well, and the two games in Birmingham in 96. I had a load of holidays set aside and some money saved for 2002, but since then I've not even been paying attention as I don't expect us to qualify. I was supposed to be in the Netherlands for the Euros two years ago but money problems prevented it. It's really exciting to be able to follow Scotland to a big tournament again, I'd forgotten how much more enjoyable the whole thing is when you've got skin in the game. And thankfully for this tournament tickets aren't £150 with half of them given to corporate arseholes.

That France 98 trip sounds absolutely magic! Unfortunately the funds and the annual leave can only spread so far. One day I hope to do something similar.

I’ve always said I’d do an Aberdeen euro away day too at some point. I did go to Dublin with a pal to watch East Five v Bohemians this year too but we all know how that planned out!!

Usual biased commentator moan: did anybody else hear the English commentator near the end when she said Scotland and England could look forward to playing either of these teams "for different reasons"? Patronising c**t. If we win our last two and England draw theirs, we top the group.

Haven't seen the Japan-Argentina game or highlights yet, but generally I'd rather we faced a team that doesn't score and is tight at the back than one that scores but concedes. When Cuthbert, Weir, Evans, Emslie and Little attack, maybe with Ross in there too, we will score goals.

The target always had to be four points, and I guess if Japan are misfiring that's a good thing.