Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

4 hours ago, The Chief said:

Thank God Scotland are out. Maybe now when I sit down to watch Reporting Scotland I won't have to hear any more about this pish. Women's football is shite.

Deep.

6 hours ago, The Chief said:

Thank God Scotland are out. Maybe now when I sit down to watch Reporting Scotland I won't have to hear any more about this pish. Women's football is shite.

Maybe newsround is more your level.

Just do what the NFL do, give the head coach two challenges, or what tennis do.

That's probably going to require some other major rule changes (or lead to some ruined football games). The clock stops in the NFL when a play gets challenged and there is basically no clock in tennis but it'll be the ultimate time wasting method in football since the clocks still running and refs never add on the right amount of time. A winning team can just hump the ball into the box and claim for an elbow or something.
Or just to slow the game down. That's fine in the NFL or tennis which are stop/start in their nature.

Imo, take the decision off the ref and give it to the VAR room like rugby. No need for the finger on the ear 60 second wait when it's clearly a penalty, then all the other running back and forward to a screen rubbish. It'll halve the time taken to come to a decision. If that doesn't work then just scrap it for everything except offside decisions.

I'd get rid of the whole thing - I've said from the outset it would make the game substantially worse, and for me it certainly has. I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed sadly.

If they insist on keeping it, I'd go the other way and only allow it as a way for the referee to ask for a second opinion on major decisions he's not sure about. For example, if the ref sees a tackle in the box and isn't sure about it, then he can specifically ask VAR to check whether they think that challenge was a foul. They check that and only that and then come back to him. If the guy who was fouled happened to be half an inch offside or there was a shirt-tug elsewhere in the box, then tough, because that's not what he asked about.

The only exception I'd make to the above would be off-the-ball acts of violent conduct which the officials missed. In those case, VAR can step in and ask the ref to send the player off. Anything to do with live play should remain solely the referee's responsibility. When you take the responsibility of decision making away from the referees to the extent which VAR has, you make them less assertive and that seeps into every other non-referrable decision on the park too. That has already happened since the onset of VAR - you see the officials pondering free-kick decisions or even throw-in decisions for much longer than they should be, and players gradually get riled up by it.

I'd get rid of the whole thing - I've said from the outset it would make the game substantially worse, and for me it certainly has. I'm pretty sure that ship has sailed sadly.
If they insist on keeping it, I'd go the other way and only allow it as a way for the referee to ask for a second opinion on major decisions he's not sure about. For example, if the ref sees a tackle in the box and isn't sure about it, then he can specifically ask VAR to check whether they think that challenge was a foul. They check that and only that and then come back to him. If the guy who was fouled happened to be half an inch offside or there was a shirt-tug elsewhere in the box, then tough, because that's not what he asked about.
The only exception I'd make to the above would be off-the-ball acts of violent conduct which the officials missed. In those case, VAR can step in and ask the ref to send the player off. Anything to do with live play should remain solely the referee's responsibility. When you take the responsibility of decision making away from the referees to the extent which VAR has, you make them less assertive and that seeps into every other non-referrable decision on the park too. That has already happened since the onset of VAR - you see the officials pondering free-kick decisions or even throw-in decisions for much longer than they should be, and players gradually get riled up by it.
Just as well you aren't in charge of FIFA then.

There is absolutely no way VAR is going anywhere. It will be tinkered with and mistakes may still happen but overall LESS mistakes will happen.

I haven't disputed that fewer mistakes will be made.

My view (and I think it's shared by many others) is that this reduction comes at the price of a great deal of the entertainment value of what is a live sport. Every single piece of joy for a supporter is now tinged with a creeping "but what if..." doubt at the back of your mind. You're replacing the raw emotion of the sport with something very clinical and meticulous. I don't think that's a price worth paying.

I haven't disputed that fewer mistakes will be made.
My view (and I think it's shared by many others) is that this reduction comes at the price of a great deal of the entertainment value of what is a live sport. Every single piece of joy for a supporter is now tinged with a creeping "but what if..." doubt at the back of your mind. You're replacing the raw emotion of the sport with something very clinical and meticulous. I don't think that's a price worth paying.

I’m with you on this. Imagine your team score but you have to wait 1-2 minutes to find out if it will stand! No thanks.

But what if the goal is against your team and is offside and the referee/linesman misses it?

VAR is still in relatively early days. It will get quicker and slicker. The standard of referees is pretty bad worldwide (although admittedly they do have a hard job) so anything that helps them has to be good?

Technology is embraced in other sports so I dont see why football should be any different?

41 minutes ago, ftk said:

But what if the goal is against your team and is offside and the referee/linesman misses it?

VAR is still in relatively early days. It will get quicker and slicker. The standard of referees is pretty bad worldwide (although admittedly they do have a hard job) so anything that helps them has to be good?

Technology is embraced in other sports so I dont see why football should be any different?

It seems very unlikely that there are going to be many clear offside decisions where the officials totally miss it. If it's a close call and there's some doubt in their minds then they'll have the option to take a look. If the odd incident still gets missed, then so be it. There would still be a vast reduction in the number of offside errors.

I don't really see how it is going to get any "quicker" or "slicker". The VAR team already have access to the best possible camera footage from multiple angles. It is always going to take time to identify the incident, navigate to the right part of the video and then review the footage, often on numerous occasions from numerous different angles. It's also going to always take time for the referee to physically run across to the screen and look at the same set of angles that the VAR officials have identified.

The last part is a completely meaningless statement which I've seen a few times. Every sport is different, and the use of technology has to be considered on its own merit for each individual one. Some sports are perfectly suited to it, like cricket or tennis, because they're based on lots of short "plays" with stoppages in between. When they use DRS in cricket or Hawkeye in tennis it doesn't affect the actual gameplay because everyone stops all the time for various reasons anyway. Other sports like football and ice hockey much more continuous in nature, and therefore more care has to be taken when introducing technology to those sports to avoid ruining the flow of the gameplay.

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I'm all for VAR unless it's my team getting pulled up correctly for law violations. 

I'm all for var

Unless referees chop off the most important 10 minutes of a game

I'm all for var

I’m all for VAR unless my team is incapable of holding a three goal lead over 15 minutes, having had the previous 75 minutes plus two whole games to have scored one more goal.

This could go on and on...

1 hour ago, Joey Jo Jo Junior Shabadoo said:

I'm all for VAR unless it's my team getting pulled up correctly for law violations. 

30 minutes ago, Binos said:

I'm all for var

11 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’m all for VAR unless my team is incapable of holding a three goal lead over 15 minutes, having had the previous 75 minutes plus two whole games to have scored one more goal.

This could go on and on...

These posts are all going to have to be reviewed, analysed and dissected, so we'll get back to you tomorrow...

Changing the rules half way through the best tournament in Women's football :blink:

The way it was heading, a keeper was going to get sent off in a penalty shootout for jumping forward too early. Had to be done.

But this clearly isn’t the time or place to be experimenting with rule changes.

The arguement for VAR has always been that "the stakes in the game, we cant afford mistakes"

How does that square with the inpact on the entertainment value?

Who sees it as worth it?

Currently, if this is the best we can expect from VAR and it cant get slicker by a considerable margin, then its a no from me.

FWIW I have always felt that there must be a way to automate the offside decision. Trackers, radar, whatever. And that for me wpuld be enough.

That shouldn't afford our team any excuses, we'd already lost 3 goals and would most likely have lost another if the correct time had been played.

And had we lost that other one Argentina would be in the next round

That’s what I meant by leaving both teams feeling robbed.