Scotland vs Argentina - Wednesday 19th June, 8pm

HibsFan

46 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:
1 hour ago, A96 said:
Of all the pish being spoken on this thread , this post tops the lot.
Who, exactly , is the “we” or “us” that should have been consulted ?

Exactly, the IFAB decide it, after that it has to happen. That said these new directives are an utter clusterfuck when combined with VAR, they are not going to last very long in the current form but it is just a shame that the Scottish Womens team had to be the ones who got it in the shorts to prove that it was unworkable. Watch it getting dialled down & eventually pretty much ignored over the next couple of months.

Yep, it's what always happens with these things, like the time they were going to crack down on players pushing each other at free-kicks and corners. Some diddy team gets shafted, everyone realises they don't actually want it, and it gets quietly forgotten. They've already said they won't be using VAR for goalkeepers at penalties next season in the Premiership because, basically it's a bag of shite and nobody actually wants what happened last night again. I would be surprised if they are even still doing it at the end of this tournament.

1 hour ago, Flash said:

As for VAR, imo they should only use it for obvious errors and the way to decide that is to give the VAR room one minute to decide whether to refer it to the ref. If it takes them longer than that, the ref’s decision stands. When the ref goes to the telly, they get to review it twice. If they don’t see anything in the two viewings that changes their mind it wasn’t an obvious error, so the decision stands.

This is what it keeps coming back to, for me. The way I 'thought' VAR was going to work was if the referee makes an obvious mistake, then the technology would provide an opportunity to correct it. Instead it's "Let's review the footage over and over for as long as it takes until we're 100% certain what the correct decision should've been."

A couple of looks - "Sorry, we're still not sure. OK then, the decision stands - let's get on with the game." 

Guest Moomintroll
Yep, it's what always happens with these things, like the time they were going to crack down on players pushing each other at free-kicks and corners. Some diddy team gets shafted, everyone realises they don't actually want it, and it gets quietly forgotten. They've already said they won't be using VAR for goalkeepers at penalties next season in the Premiership because, basically it's a bag of shite and nobody actually wants what happened last night again. I would be surprised if they are even still doing it at the end of this tournament.
It is utterly pathetic how utterly clueless people can get these amendments approved in the first instance however.

Guest Flash
1 minute ago, ArabGaz said:

That was an atrocious decision by the ref. How she could think the US forward wasn’t interfering with play is a mystery.

I don’t think she knew what she was supposed to be checking. She was watching really closely after the offside as though still looking for an offence.

More VAR nonsense in the USA-Sweden game.

Sweden have a genuine case to be upset there, unless the wording on the offside rule has changed. Seems to me Lloyd being offside and then challenging directly affected the defender.

That being said, in one of the early games, the same thing happened and the goal was given then, too.

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Am I right in saying that if we had gotten that stick on VAR penalty against Japan, and hypothetically drew the game, we would have qualified last night in 2nd place ? 😖

Yep assuming a 2-2 draw we'd be 2nd over Argentina on goals scored. Japan would have finished bottom with a -2 goal difference. 

1 minute ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Perhaps if we are going down this route we should just remove the referee from the pitch altogether. The game can be refereed over the tannoy and we get rid of the petulant protesting to the ref. 

Should lead to scaps and scenes we like to see. 

Guest Moomintroll
Perhaps if we are going down this route we should just remove the referee from the pitch altogether. The game can be refereed over the tannoy and we get rid of the petulant protesting to the ref. 
It is going down that road at the moment but there will be a massive retraction over the next few weeks based on this utter omnishambles.

19 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’m making a prediction. England will exit the tournament at the hands of a scandalous VAR decision and there will be calls for a massive overhaul of the system....

...from Jonathan Pearce.

That would be fun but the cynic in me suspects that England, France and the USA will do just fine when it comes to VAR. Unless they're playing each other.