do you like cooking?

Ylf

If I could recommend a couple of things that are very very good, but also easy to pick up id go with risotto and carbonara. Simple but mega satisfying done well.

Risotto is fantastic if done correctly, but getting the balance between al dente rice & mush is a pretty exact science, it’s all about having all other ingredients ready to mix with your rice/broth/wine mix. I think it’s a fairly difficult dish to master correctly.

I started getting into cooking at the start of the year and I do enjoy it. Only problem I have is always cooling the same things. Seems to be a rotation of curry, bolognese, fajitas or burgers. Not got a clue of where to look to find some things to mix things up a bit.

Loads of recipe sites but I prefer YouTube. Look up a guy called Mark Wiens he goes around the world trying different street food then once you see something you like look up a recipe for it

Risotto is fantastic if done correctly, but getting the balance between al dente rice & mush is a pretty exact science, it’s all about having all other ingredients ready to mix with your rice/broth/wine mix. I think it’s a fairly difficult dish to master correctly.
Its proper cooking though and for me I think its easier than folk give it credit for. Iv genuinely never had better in a restaurant than homemade.

Its proper cooking though and for me I think its easier than folk give it credit for. Iv genuinely never had better in a restaurant than homemade.

Totally agree, it’s proper cooking, but for beginners, tasting chalky or mushy rice as a result of your efforts may be a put off. Risotto needs to be cooked perfectly to taste great, whereas, something like a roast chicken, loin of pork etc has an error margin built in & should build confidence, even if it’s not spot on. You can’t hide behind under or overcooked rice & pasta.

8 hours ago, bernardblack said:

I’m the head chef in our house. Nothing better than finishing work on a Friday and cooking up a storm with a few cans.

Recently stepped into baking and learned the hard way you really cannot go off recipe there!

You can do what you like with baking but just remember to adjust cooking times, for example you can add anything to scones but baking is far more trial and error as your over will be different to the one used in the recipe, so experimentation is key with baking and you might occasionally get it really wrong bust most of all you should be okay.

I was catering for a friend's wedding and she is vegan, it took 6 trays of brownies before I was happy with the result only 1 was a total right off. 

As for cooking, I really like it, far more than I ever did when I did it for a living. Trying to learn new skills and recently went to a Pasta making class at the "GreenerKirckaldy" kitchen which was a really great class and they do loads of cooking so if you are looking to try new stuff without breaking the bank go e their Facebook page or website a look.

Just now, Bairnardo said:

Anyway this might be the thread to announce my purchase of a pizza oven. 

Pics will be forthconing, but not for a couple of weeks yet

Self assembly? Like have you just got the terracotta bricks to build it with or is it a kit? Please keep us updated.

Self assembly? Like have you just got the terracotta bricks to build it with or is it a kit? Please keep us updated.
Ooni Koda m8. Google it. I know a couple of lads who have ooni ovens and they rave about them. Online reviews are very good too so have taken the plunge. Never even knew you got stuff like this till recently

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
5 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

Ooni Koda m8. Google it. I know a couple of lads who have ooni ovens and they rave about them. Online reviews are very good too so have taken the plunge. Never even knew you got stuff like this till recently

Looks interesting, still think you cant go wrong with a home made one so you can stick wood in it like in Italy, but you need a big garden and sadly I don't.

Let us know how you get on as pizza in 60 seconds sounds excellent.

Looks interesting, still think you cant go wrong with a home made one so you can stick wood in it like in Italy, but you need a big garden and sadly I don't.
I will. Aye I love the idea of a big brick built oven, but size, expense running it etc etc.... It seems based on the reviews that the slight trade off in quality with these things for real speed, convenience and ease of use should be well worth it.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:
3 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

I will. Aye I love the idea of a big brick built oven, but size, expense running it etc etc.... It seems based on the reviews that the slight trade off in quality with these things for real speed, convenience and ease of use should be well worth it.

Yeh if I won the lottery this is the set up I would be aiming for. But in Scotland a small compact pizza oven is probably best! 

Pompeii-Outdoor-Kitchen.jpg

We both take turns to cook, but I hate being disturbed whilst doing so. Doors shut, radio on, sorted. One of my favourite things is doing roast potatoes for a Sunday lunch. We never really do any baking, but I've got a brilliant Mary berry brownie recipe which I use if we've got folk coming round or if we are going for lunch at friends or family.

If I could recommend a couple of things that are very very good, but also easy to pick up id go with risotto and carbonara. Simple but mega satisfying done well.

Firstly, great info from everyone! Will be looking into it.

I did try a carbonara and it was shite, purely my own fault, so haven’t bothered with it since. Made a decent chicken Cajun pasta actually but then made it far too often and sacked it off.

I did buy risotto rice but then never bothered to do anything with it so that could be a great shout.

13 hours ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Sitting cutting up vegetables for 40 minutes is tedious and a pain in the c**t, but after that its easy street, and can be enjoyable thinking up new things to make and try out.

Recently tarted making a batch of meals every Sunday for my lunches for work every day recently after discovering I'd spent over £600 in a year buying them every day from the shops. f**k that. Can now make a whole weeks lunch for about a £5, what I'd normally spend on a single lunch before.

I do this but am getting bored of making the same lunches on rotation. Need some inspiration.

I do this but am getting bored of making the same lunches on rotation. Need some inspiration.

i sometimes take my own sandwiches for work. chicken salad. home made soup. or if i have chilli left over i have with flat breads or wraps.

This week I’ve been having pulled ham with Jack Daniels bbq sauce and cheddar wraps. Sriracha sauce but otherwise the same today. That was the last of the ham though, tomorrow and Friday probably be sweet chilli chicken wraps.

I know a cracking cooking sanctuary.

Let's have a bit of risotto, let's add a bit of pancetta. Ooh, that's a snazzy chicken congee. Oh, this tastes of, I don't know, basil. Sometimes you just want to say, sod all this cooking, just give me a bowl of, Shreddies."