Billy Gilmour

Kuro

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Luka Modric didn't leave Dinamo Zagreb until he was nearly 23, and even then it was to a plodding Spurs side who had finished 11th the previous season (Brighton finished 9th last year).

Ok, you've provided unequivocal proof that Gilmour will be better than peak Modric.

Can't wait.

59 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ok, you've provided unequivocal proof that Gilmour will be better than peak Modric.

Can't wait.

No you're just an idiot. Gilmour is perfectly capable of playing for Real Madrid and will end up at a club like that. 

If you know what you're looking at nothing in his career so far suggests that isn't the case. Do you think Camavinga would have been running games for a Norwich team getting a chasing every week last season?

His progress for his age is outstanding. He just had one manager who wants a different type of player. It happens, that's football.

On 02/09/2022 at 17:47, gannonball said:

A bit misleading that he said in one game he looked world class which was more so about his performance. Which tbh doesn’t really make sense either.

To you it might not but you're not qualified to police Roy Keane's opinion of a central midfielder.

When an 18 year old basically takes the piss out of the reigning European champions and one of the best central midfielders of all time calls him world class it's natural people get excited about that.

2 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

To you it might not but you're not qualified to police Roy Keane's opinion of a central midfielder.

When an 18 year old basically takes the piss out of the reigning European champions and one of the best central midfielders of all time calls him world class it's natural people get excited about that.

It's natural that you do because your critical faculties are very limited.

15 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

That is a A very very strange way of putting it.  However said (of his performance-listen to interview as he said it and the interviewee asked about it) that ‘he looked like a world class player’.  It doesn’t take a qualified mind police person to know what he was talking about.

Edited by gannonball

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Luka Modric didn't leave Dinamo Zagreb until he was nearly 23, and even then it was to a plodding Spurs side who had finished 11th the previous season (Brighton finished 9th last year).

Spurs broke their transfer record for Modric. Far more than Brighton paid for Gilmour and that was 14 years ago. Comparing these signings and comparing Gilmour to Modric in any way is a bit silly.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not desperate for him not to come good at all.  I'm a Scotland fan.  I just think there's a cringe inducing tendency on here for people to confuse their desires with reality.  

Much of the stuff spouted about this promising young player was absurd.  That's what I'm mocking - not the player, who is actually doing ok.

Totally agree with this and it's where I sit on this discussion.

24 minutes ago, gannonball said:

That is a A very very strange way of putting it.  However said (of his performance-listen to interview as he said it and the interviewee asked about it) that ‘he looked like a world class player’.  It doesn’t take a qualified mind police person to know what he was talking about.

😂

God, is that really what this daftie is basing his stuff about Roy Keane's opinion on?

Keane has the intelligence to qualify his comments.  He's basically saying Gilmour had a great game and really looked the part.  Everybody thought the same.  He also talks however of the need for him to follow up on such a performance.

Gilmour was clearly a real prospect then, and at his current age, still is.  I really don't want my comments to be characterised as an observation that he's pish, because I don't think he is.  

However, I think the confident predictions of world domination were rather daft, and he's got an awful lot to do, in order to become anything terribly special in world terms.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

28 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I mean you make no point. Read the words. One of the best midfielders of all time calls young midfielder world class. I see no confusion there.

Just now, HalfCutNinja said:

Erm no. It's natural self loathing wallopers like you are furious any time anyone says anything positive about a young Scottish player as you're a self loathing weirdo.

I think you should probably look into this self loathing lark.

Sometimes it's appropriate.

"He was like a world class player.  That's what he looked like."

That is not the same as saying he's world class.  It's not even similar to it.  He's instead making a point of making a distinction between how he appeared and where he was then actually at.

Once more, I'm not criticising Gilmour or Keane.  I am, however, laughing at your ludicrous claims.  Why are you invested so heavily in this player?  You're not allowing yourself to employ reason.

12 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

"He was like a world class player.  That's what he looked like."

That is not the same as saying he's world class.  It's not even similar to it.  He's instead making a point of making a distinction between how he appeared and where he was then actually at.

Once more, I'm not criticising Gilmour or Keane.  I am, however, laughing at your ludicrous claims.  Why are you invested so heavily in this player?  You're not allowing yourself to employ reason.

I could say the same to you. Why are you so invested in talking down this player and negatively framing any praise he receives? But we know the answer already.

It's exactly the same. He said his performance level was world class. If he can do that regularly that's a world class player. His potential is of that level. And nothing that has happened in his career so far indicates he won't fulfill his potential. Only to idiots like you does the last 18 months indicate that.

6 minutes ago, HalfCutNinja said:

I could say the same to you. Why are you so invested in talking down this player and negatively framing any praise he receives? But we know the answer already.

It's exactly the same. He said his performance level was world class. If he can do that regularly that's a world class player. His potential is of that level. And nothing that has happened in his career so far indicates he won't fulfill his potential. Only to idiots like you does the last 18 months indicate that.

I'm not talking down the player.

I'm mocking those who I think have prematurely and excessively talked him up.

My self loathing isn't yet all embracing enough to require me to delude myself. 

2 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not talking down the player.

I'm mocking those who I think have prematurely and excessively talked him up.

My self loathing isn't yet all embracing enough to require me to delude myself. 

Your view is that it is very unlikely that he will now become world class - given he has signed for a top half Premiership side at the age of 21.

You are trying to claim a winning position, when ultimately the race is just beginning. 

Of course that is talking him down…. 

He might not develop further and he may not reach that level, others think he has incredible technical ability and that he has the qualities to be able to go on to be world class. Neither position is ludicrous as we simply have no idea how he will progress as a player. 

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Your view is that it is very unlikely that he will now become world class - given he has signed for a top half Premiership side at the age of 21.

You are trying to claim a winning position, when ultimately the race is just beginning. 

Of course that is talking him down…. 

He might not develop further and he may not reach that level, others think he has incredible technical ability and that he has the qualities to be able to go on to be world class. Neither position is ludicrous as we simply have no idea how he will progress as a player. 

It can only be regarded as "talking him down" in relation to the hyperbole some have indulged in.  

Swearing he'd soon be running things for Barcelona or Real Madrid on the evidence we'd seen was way OTT in my view.

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It can only be regarded as "talking him down" in relation to the hyperbole some have indulged in.  

Swearing he'd soon be running things for Barcelona or Real Madrid on the evidence we'd seen was way OTT in my view.

I can’t remember the specific comments you are referring to, I imagine some were hyperbolic. Your position above is fine, however I don’t think it is hugely hyperbolic to state that he might still become world class if he continues developing.