Billy Gilmour

Kuro

46 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

It is worth taking into account how Brighton's double pivot works. They'll stay narrow, one usually drops to receive off the CBs (who wait unusually long before releasing) while the other will tend to position himself to receive a potential pass from a full-back or if the other midfielder pops it back. It can look like they're ponderous or negative, but it's almost always with the intention of drawing on an opposition press. 

That doesn't excuse some of Gilmour's negativity, though, especially his reluctance to turn on the ball. I could be wrong, but he did seem to grow a bit more confident as the half went on. 

I think this is something which happens a lot with Gilmour, he seems to be the type of player that takes some time to grow into a game but once he does he can take complete control and be fantastic as he has been for Scotland at times…

57 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

It is worth taking into account how Brighton's double pivot works. They'll stay narrow, one usually drops to receive off the CBs (who wait unusually long before releasing) while the other will tend to position himself to receive a potential pass from a full-back or if the other midfielder pops it back. It can look like they're ponderous or negative, but it's almost always with the intention of drawing on an opposition press. 

That doesn't excuse some of Gilmour's negativity, though, especially his reluctance to turn on the ball. I could be wrong, but he did seem to grow a bit more confident as the half went on. 

He needs games 

No-one looks good playing the occasional 20 mins

He really hasn't played much football at all for someone his age, i know folk will jump to make excuses for that but aye.

Not going to make any definitive statement on his career, but we maybe all just got a wee bit excited when he came through, as he was by some distance the best technical youngster we'd produced in ages. I still think he'll establish himself as a good PL player and be one of our main men for years to come, but the world class hype (which i indulged in) was in hindsight based on a tiny sample of games. When you look at a genuine world class talent like Bellingham for example there's no 'ach he got unlucky with the change of manager/he's not been given a chance/the fans who watch him every week and don't rate him don't know what they're talking about' stuff - he's so ludicrously good that he's (obviously) the first pick every week and dominates games at the top level consistently.

Still think we have a great player on our hands mind, and being out of the spotlight may be a good thing for him, but for both his and our sake he really needs to start playing regular football soon.

1 hour ago, Fratelli said:

He really hasn't played much football at all for someone his age, i know folk will jump to make excuses for that but aye.

Not going to make any definitive statement on his career, but we maybe all just got a wee bit excited when he came through, as he was by some distance the best technical youngster we'd produced in ages. I still think he'll establish himself as a good PL player and be one of our main men for years to come, but the world class hype (which i indulged in) was in hindsight based on a tiny sample of games. When you look at a genuine world class talent like Bellingham for example there's no 'ach he got unlucky with the change of manager/he's not been given a chance/the fans who watch him every week and don't rate him don't know what they're talking about' stuff - he's so ludicrously good that he's (obviously) the first pick every week and dominates games at the top level consistently.

Still think we have a great player on our hands mind, and being out of the spotlight may be a good thing for him, but for both his and our sake he really needs to start playing regular football soon.

Bellingham will have to prove he's not the next youngster to flop after he leaves dortmund before he can be genuinely world class talent 

2 hours ago, Fratelli said:

He has more top flight league games than almost all of his peers as a premier league central midfielder (only Jacob Ramsey has more in his age group).

He gets criticised whenever he plays now, and whenever he doesn't. I saw a report that put his Brighton salary as one of the higher ones in the squad, and they clearly trust to come on in important games.

His career will almost certainly be a success in the top flight, England or abroad. Some of the self hating Scots will continue to find this hard to accept, but c'est la vie. He isn't likely to become a world class player, he could, but a good top flight player looks more likely at this stage.

"He gets criticised whenever he plays now".

I get criticised whenever I attempt ballet. It's because I'm shite at it. It's justifiable criticism.

Gilmour, at worst, is going a little bit backwards. At best, he's not moving forwards much at all. He may have been under particular instruction as Accies 1874 has intimated, or he may have been shiting it from taking the game by he scruff as we know he can. There isn't a binary here. I think he was playing within himself against Liverpool and can actually do much better. He wasn't particularly good either way.

1 hour ago, Satoshi said:

He has more top flight league games than almost all of his peers as a premier league central midfielder (only Jacob Ramsey has more in his age group).

He gets criticised whenever he plays now, and whenever he doesn't. I saw a report that put his Brighton salary as one of the higher ones in the squad, and they clearly trust to come on in important games.

His career will almost certainly be a success in the top flight, England or abroad. Some of the self hating Scots will continue to find this hard to accept, but c'est la vie. He isn't likely to become a world class player, he could, but a good top flight player looks more likely at this stage.

I’ll take your word for that, but there are a fair few 2001 born players in the Premier League with almost or even more than double his appearances who are established starters now. I think he’s past the stage where not playing much isn't a concern.

The second bit was more my point. I still expect him to forge a career for himself in the Premier League, but the flat out refusal to accept that things aren’t really going as we’d hoped for him has been a theme of this thread.

Edited by Fratelli

Just now, velo army said:

I get criticised whenever I attempt ballet. It's because I'm shite at it. It's justifiable criticism.

🤣 its a decent analogy, id like to know how often you attempt ballet tho?

Try and keep in mind that the less ballet you do, the better at ballet you get.

Just now, Fratelli said:

The second bit was more my point. I still expect him to forge a career for himself in the Premier League, but the flat out refusal to accept that things aren’t really going as we’d hoped for him has been a theme of this thread.

I think its 99% of posters agreeing with you tbh.

I guess we will find out. I still cling onto the excellent performances in big games when he was younger. And think he could still go onto become a top player.

Its a physical thing with him, if he was stronger he would be playing regularly already. If he can get stronger I think that will be the case.

3 hours ago, Fratelli said:

I’ll take your word for that, but there are a fair few 2001 born players in the Premier League with almost or even more than double his appearances who are established starters now. I think he’s past the stage where not playing much isn't a concern.

Can you name these players? Some positions emerge earlier than others, central midfielders tend to mature later. And as pointed out there is only one with more appearances than Gilmour (and he doesn't have double his appearances). Indeed, Gilmour is pretty far ahead of most of his peer group in terms of appearances.

Similarly, he's far ahead of now established pl midfielders like Dewsbury Hall when he was Gilmours age.

There's no flat out refusal, some posters (including yourself) thought he was going to be world class and are disappointed he isn't. Fair enough. I thought he would be a top flight player and so far he has been. I have posted extensively around how Brighton gradually bed in all their new signings and Gilmour is no different.

I think Doak will be similar, if he's tearing it up for Liverpool he's doing brilliantly, if he's getting signed and bedded in for Brighton he's doing well, if he's playing for Whitehall welfare he's doing terribly. So he's doing fine, no need to be too concerned. The wild overreaction on this thread will continue of course, but knicker wetting posters are far more concerned than De Zerbi, Gilmour or Brighton.

On 19/06/2021 at 00:33, HalfCutNinja said:

Not even joking best midfielder in the world in three years time, WPOTY in five. Utterly sensational, and would walk into the Barcelona starting 11 tomorrow and any time for the last year or so. Unbelievable how good he is. 

Should already have 10 caps or more, but from now on every game he starts. Build the team around him. Only caveat 70 minutes just now his level drops a bit as it takes a lot out of a small, slightly built young player. But 70-75 minutes of every game from now on.

On 19/06/2021 at 08:22, ArabFC said:

From THAT Liverpool game, I KNEW Billy Gilmour was the future of Scottish football. 
There’s always talk of kids with potential, but his skill set is so unique and it was on display from day one.

Scary to think he might not have made the squad, but for injuries AND the squad getting expanded.

Steve Clarke’s biggest blind spot to date was not knowing this kid was ready long ago. Along with ignoring Gauld.

On 19/06/2021 at 08:32, Bairnardo said:

No need for this thread anymore. As far as Scotland are concerned, Gilmour has arrived and is here to stay.

On 18/06/2021 at 23:33, Scotty Tunbridge said:

I Wasn’t too sure of the hype before tonight but he is so far ahead of the rest of that midfield it’s unreal. Get him starting every game from until he decides enough is enough on the international stage.

what a fucking player.

On 06/06/2021 at 23:42, Binos said:

Gilmour must start over mcgregor 

He's ten times the player

On 05/07/2021 at 14:07, BingMcCrosby said:

Yeah have to agree, of course its not ridiculous you could tell someone would be world class after a few games. Or even one, sometimes its just blindingly obvious. I've done it and got it right loads of times. And I dont consider myself to be some expert talent spotter.

The people arguing you can't do it maybe just don't understand football. 

dog slapping GIF

14 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

I think this is something which happens a lot with Gilmour, he seems to be the type of player that takes some time to grow into a game but once he does he can take complete control and be fantastic as he has been for Scotland at times…

It could be something to do with this:

14 hours ago, Binos said:

He needs games 

No-one looks good playing the occasional 20 mins