Billy Gilmour

Kuro

As others have already said said a double pivot midfield of Gilmour and Hickey is the solid foundation for the next decade of our national team.

Back 4.....them 2....3 attacking midfielders in front and a target.

That will be our formation in a couple of years.

Totally agree with the double pivot of Gilmour and Hickey going forward.

Totally against going back to the tried and failed back four. We don't even have one top 5 league centerback.

Forward wise, Ben Doak will be the joker in the pack.

I just hope in the coming season we can uncover at least one centerback of genuine quality and one striker.

We aren't far off from being a very decent team.

Edited by SlayerX

53 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Hickey is a midfielder now?

Kin ell

According to Craig Levein (Thomas Frank has said it, too) his natural position is anchorman.

But what do they know, they've just been in football for decades.

Your "Kin hell" greatly supersedes their experience, qualifications, etc.

Totes.

“I’m not sure if he’ll end up being a full-back, he might end up going back into the midfield area. I think he would be a fantastic holding midfield player with his great awareness of danger and his ability to get out of tight situations with the ball at his feet.”

Total TAMBlicious knowledge, mate.

Edited by SlayerX

30 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

According to Craig Levein (Thomas Frank has said it, too) his natural position is anchorman.

Totes.

“I’m not sure if he’ll end up being a full-back, he might end up going back into the midfield area. I think he would be a fantastic holding midfield player with his great awareness of danger and his ability to get out of tight situations with the ball at his feet.”

4 - 6 - 0

2 minutes ago, Ewanandmoreagain said:

We had a successful " away formation " with one up front , Kenny Miller. It was not needing changed 

So, we completely dismiss the entire football career of Craig Levein because of a tactical decision he made 12 years ago?

K.

The 4-6-0 wasn't to blame. The application of it was. That particular stick to beat Levein with is now a twig.

Moving on.

Back to topic.

We build the team around Billy Gilmour. It is curious that he never finishes 90 mins for club or country, though.

48 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

An article based on a  Spain team that contained a lot of the world's best ever players in it, boys that can play tiki taka all day long for fun and never give the ball away. A 4-6-0 can work for them as can pretty much every other formation out there but teams like Scotland, playing that type of system against the Czechs meant we couldn't get our own half against an average team, a bit like the Germany game recently but worse. A total failure of epic proportions 

13 hours ago, SlayerX said:

Totes.

I'm calling bullshit on this Aaron Hickey as an anchor in midfield. I had a search last time you mentioned it and found nothing.

Can you kindly provide links/quotes to Thomas Frank and/or any of his managers saying he could play there?

1 minute ago, Quentin Taranbino said:

I'm calling bullshit on this Aaron Hickey as an anchor in midfield. I had a search last time you mentioned it and found nothing.

Can you kindly provide links/quotes to Thomas Frank and/or any of his managers saying he could play there?

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/ex-hearts-boss-craig-levein-on-celtic-bids-for-aaron-hickey-his-development-and-why-he-sees-him-as-a-midfielder-2933281

So an article from 4 years ago when Hickey was still at Hearts and the line is:

"I think he would be a fantastic holding midfield player with his great awareness of danger and his ability to get out of tight situations with the ball at his feet.”

and based on that one line from Levein, people have him moved position 😬

Evidence supplied.

Back to topic.

Hopefully Billy Gilmour starts tomorrow. In an ideal world he would have a Kante alongside him (as he did at Chelsea) but at the moment we have to wait till Barron or Hickey step up.

Moving Hickey to CM has the same vibes of Southgate trying to make Trent a CM.

We've got a fair few good quality CM's. We have one excellent RB and another one with potential in Patterson. Both of those have been missing for this major tournament and we've had to go with fucking Ralston yet there's people touting that said RB as a CM. Boggles the mind.

16 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Moving Hickey to CM has the same vibes of Southgate trying to make Trent a CM.

We've got a fair few good quality CM's. We have one excellent RB and another one with potential in Patterson. Both of those have been missing for this major tournament and we've had to go with fucking Ralston yet there's people touting that said RB as a CM. Boggles the mind.

Hickey playing CM isn't really that mind boggling, he has the skillset to do very well there and we are really missing someone in that position with good defensive ability. It won't be anytime soon though, it will be when the likes of McGregor start to be phased out in a couple of years time.

I'm sure we will have someone else coming through at RB to compete with Patterson in a few years but all that remains to be seen. 

31 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

Evidence supplied.

Back to topic.

Hopefully Billy Gilmour starts tomorrow. In an ideal world he would have a Kante alongside him (as he did at Chelsea) but at the moment we have to wait till Barron or Hickey step up.

I mean Colin Hendry played as a striker for the early part of his career, so yeah this is revelatory evidence.

3 minutes ago, ogoftheskye said:

I mean Colin Hendry played as a striker for the early part of his career, so yeah this is revelatory evidence.

I am astonished he never remained a striker.....still remember him putting 3 past me (may have been 4) for Keith Grammar v Inverurie Academy