Billy Gilmour

Kuro

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just watching Brighton 1 up against Ajax at half time.  I'm sure it's been mentioned before but I noticed that not a single pass from any player goes around the midfield without Billy Gilmour pointing where an option is to his teammate.  He's the only one doing this and seems to be orchestrating the entire movement of Brighton.  Anyone who watches Brighton more than I do... is this typical?  When he's not in the side, does another player perform the same function, or is this Billy's own abilities that makes him do this?

20 minutes ago, BazMac said:

Just watching Brighton 1 up against Ajax at half time.  I'm sure it's been mentioned before but I noticed that not a single pass from any player goes around the midfield without Billy Gilmour pointing where an option is to his teammate.  He's the only one doing this and seems to be orchestrating the entire movement of Brighton.  Anyone who watches Brighton more than I do... is this typical?  When he's not in the side, does another player perform the same function, or is this Billy's own abilities that makes him do this?

He's been practicing his pointing technique since he was a young boy at Rangers. It's a key aspect of his game and a big part of why Brighton stumped up the 9 million quid for his services. 

39 minutes ago, BazMac said:

Gilmour does that all the time. He always has since ever I've seen him. It's not a Brighton thing

Its a Brighton thing in as much as the other midfielder - Gross in this case - usually vacates the midfield leaving just the one option in there. So he's either demanding the ball or pointing to where it should go instead.

Think someone said previously that he's been dropped for the big games but I'm not sure there is that pattern to it

He played against Ajax and didn't play v Fulham, not sure you can argue the Fulham game was treated with more importance. They didn't win without him anyway, so I guess that's not a bad thing?

There are a number of factors as to why a manager rotates their players. Medical, Tactical, Performance, Discipline or some other that haven't popped into my head. Steve Clarke 'dropped' Billy Gilmour for Ryan Christie against Spain, not as a slight to Gilmour - but because he viewed Christie as better suited at doing what we needed in the game, i.e running, pressing, ball carrying and quick counter attacking.

The same will be case with Gilmour at Brighton. De Zerbi is selecting him or not depending on different variables. It's not just cause he doesn't fancy him anymore or doesn't trust him in big games etc etc.

Edited by 2426255

I think he definitely has a tendency to drop Gilmour for games where he thinks they'll have less of the ball/territory, and consequently potentially more setpieces to defend, which is understandable. I think he now starts the vast majority of 'big' games where de Zerbi expects Brighton to dominate possession. 

image.png.f4faf7bd737c87c8ffdc52b4b7156eab.png

That's just a general overview. On a superficial level there is nothing that really stands out, no obvious pattern. Sometimes he starts games where Brighton go on to have the majority of possession and others he doesn't. Sometimes Gilmour starts games against the bigger teams in the league and others he doesn't.

Even though Scotland didn't really dominate the ball against England or France, we tried to improve our possession play and so that's context for Gilmour starting in those Scotland games and the reverse for the Spain game where we didn't show any intention of playing a possession game. A Brighton fan who doesn't have the context just explained would struggle to interpret Gilmour's game time for Scotland.

I don't know enough about Brighton or De Zerbi, so it's just speculation. I'm guessing it'll be similar with respect to circumstantial factors influencing decision making. You'd have to really follow Brighton and De Zerbi to know what's going on with that. He is obviously valued as part of the squad because so far this season his minutes have been decent. It would maybe be more interesting to compare the number of minutes Gilmour gets to the rest of the Brighton squad members to see how he is doing in comparison to his peers in a De Zerbi team.

Edited by 2426255

He didn't start the Man United or Chelsea games and did start the Bournemouth one, so imo that does show a pattern of him not starting against the "big" teams. De Zerbi will base his selections on more than a team's history, though, so it might not be a pattern worth looking into. E.g. Newcastle were at that point better than Man United and Chelsea, they press intensely and are more physical, yet Gilmour started that game and did very well. You could say the same for Villa. 

31 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

He didn't start the Man United or Chelsea games and did start the Bournemouth one, so imo that does show a pattern of him not starting against the "big" teams.

Oops, my mistake. Well pointed out - I've edited the pic. Anyway I think it's basically just a lazy way of looking at things to just say he isn't trusted in the "big games" against the "big teams". That's my overall point.

Edited by 2426255