The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

7 hours ago, Merkincher Clach & County said:

Yes, we were the good guys.

The real baddies were the ones during the last century that were still raping and murdering innocent women and children.

You have no idea what the Japanese did to people in the Far East.

A relative of mine hid in the jungle when the Japs invaded, burned down everything, and raped as they went.

Actually I do know what Imperial Japan did.  They were a bunch of evil shit who committed atrocities against everyone including their own people should anyone step out of line.

The Nazis were evil shits as well.

Both lots were definitely the bad guys and everyone fighting them was definitely the good guys, including Stalinist Russia which was pretty brutal in its own way.

It's  brilliant that the Nazis and Imperial Japan were defeated.  The world is better without them.

That said, there is no need to go on and on and on and on about it like somehow the world has stopped.

Even in the defeated countries there were lots of men, women and children who were not inherently evil but they suffered and died all the same.

Other countries would like to think of the war as a nasty experience best forgotten.  Why can we not do the same?

14 hours ago, Dunfermline Don said:

You do know that British bombing killed more in Hamburg during one raid than died from Luftwaffe bombing in the U.K. during the whole war.
But we were the ‘good guys’ so I suppose that was acceptable!

As was Cologne fire stormed through intensive bombing.

I briefly worked some years ago with an older German who was in Hamburg as a 12 year old  boy during the British bombing raids, he considered himself lucky in that he had only lost a couple of fingers, after the war he emigrated to the US, anyway he was keen to show me photos and evidence that Eisenhower, after he had seen photos of Nazi concentration camp atrocities, gave an order that no interred German POW's were not to be fed or cared for medically, according to this guy thousands of German soldiers died due to that order, I never worked out if he was trying to tell me that this was justification for German war crimes or an unwarranted massacre.

There are no good guys in war.

Edited by SandyCromarty

11 hours ago, Fullerene said:

IIRC For every ton of bombs that were dropped on the UK, 315 tons of bombs were dropped on Germany.

The bombing of Coventry led to 451 deaths.  The bombing of Dresden was more than 22,000.

And over six million killed in Nazi concentration camps.

3 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

As was Cologne fire stormed through intensive bombing.

I briefly worked some years ago with an older German who was in Hamburg as a 12 year old  boy during the British bombing raids, he considered himself lucky in that he had only lost a couple of fingers, after the war he emigrated to the US, anyway he was keen to show me photos and evidence that Eisenhower, after he had seen photos of Nazi concentration camp atrocities, gave an order that no interred German POW's were not to be fed or cared for medically, according to this guy thousands of German soldiers died due to that order, I never worked out if he was trying to tell me that this was justification for German war crimes or an unwarranted massacre.

A bit tight, considering the Yanks (and British) did absolutely f**k all about Auschwitz-Birkenau despite aerial photos and information from a tiny handful of escapees as to what it was. 

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

A bit tight, considering the Yanks (and British) did absolutely f**k all about Auschwitz-Birkenau despite aerial photos and information from a tiny handful of escapees as to what it was. 

Correct, official British documentation now showed that the British Gov were fully aware of the camps by 1943.

5 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Everybody behaves badly during a war.  However there were two countries who were definitely the agressors and definitely wanted a war with everyone else.  Even when Nazi Germany was at war with a dozen countries they were looking around for a dozen more.

Whenever I spoke to my father about the war and mentioned Cologne or Hamburg or Dresden he was adamant that they deserved whatever they got.  If they didn't want to be bombed to bits then they shouldn't have started the war in the first place.

It is easy with hindsight to say some actions were excessive but at the time a lot of people were fed up with the war and didn't care what happened to the Germans or the Japanese if it meant the war would come to an end.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/coronavirus-test-trace-nhs-covid-update-b882426.html?fbclid=IwAR1vBGLepL-SaLRpSOrfjVVMOeE3SzuYdZz9GJ4-ddJorI5aEfyEBUZgSWg

Coronavirus: Government’s test and trace system has ‘concerning’ worst-ever week

The government’s contact-tracing programme failed to reach more than 30 per cent of close contacts of people who tested positive for the coronavirus in England, the latest figures show, in what is the worst week on record since the beginning of Test and Trace.

Brutal.

On 08/10/2020 at 17:11, Fullerene said:

Everybody behaves badly during a war.  However there were two countries who were definitely the agressors and definitely wanted a war with everyone else.  Even when Nazi Germany was at war with a dozen countries they were looking around for a dozen more.

Whenever I spoke to my father about the war and mentioned Cologne or Hamburg or Dresden he was adamant that they deserved whatever they got.  If they didn't want to be bombed to bits then they shouldn't have started the war in the first place.

It is easy with hindsight to say some actions were excessive but at the time a lot of people were fed up with the war and didn't care what happened to the Germans or the Japanese if it meant the war would come to an end.

Sounds like a nice guy.

19 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

Sounds like a nice guy.

Indeed, sounds positively pathological.

Imagine wanting that ill will on on huge swathes of a civilian populace.

I've heard such things so many times ... "sink some boats, that'll teach them, they'll soon stop coming".

On 08/10/2020 at 08:37, Fullerene said:

Other countries would like to think of the war as a nasty experience best forgotten.  Why can we not do the same?

I suppose if you pumped Salma Hayek in your youth and did f**k all with the rest of your life, you'd still be telling the nurses about it on your deathbed.

Though in this case, it'd be more like if you kept banging on about how your grandfather handed out refreshments at Clara Bow's orgies.

2 hours ago, Merkland Red said:

Sounds like a nice guy.

I know what you are saying but I never had to live through a war like that.  He was not alone.  I met several people of that generation who had the same attitude.

"You started this war. It is now obvious you are not going to win it.  Why don't you just give up."

Lots of wars are like that.  It is obvious who is going to win but for some reason it takes years before they do.

When Hiroshima was bombed, I suspect lots of people welcomed the end of the war that happened soon afterwards.  I doubt they considered the true horror of it all or whether it was even necessary.  That discussion happened later.

On 11/10/2020 at 01:16, Baxter Parp said:

Ej_2wqAXsAUjCWC?format=jpg&name=large

About right.

Ha. The welcome from Biden's team will be cooler than a penguin's arse. They'll get a hearing and that's about it. Forget the Special Relationship, that's done.  You don't get away with cheap insults at Obama and then threatening to stamp all over the NI peace process for your cult Brexit and racist followers and think you're gonna get a trade deal from an Irish American President and a party whose Irish American senators have repeatedly sent out warning signals.