The official Boris pm cluster-fuck thread

pandarilla

28 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Boris Johnson’s poll rating sinks to record low as nearly half of UK thinks PM ‘corrupt’ | The Independent

Only 50% of the population think he's corrupt?

The other 50% are morons.

There’s never been any reason to doubt George Carlin’s assertion. 

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Things seldom happen randomly in British politics, and I think we can view John Major's intervention as the opening salvo in a process of removing Johnson from office.  I expect further opinions to now be aired, as the more 'mainstream' elements of the Tory party try to wrest control from the Spartans of the right wing.  With COVID potentially receding, focus will turn to the unfolding disaster of Brexit and they will be looking to re-position themselves away from the Brexiteer image to cope with new realities.  Johnson's exit will be a prerequisite for that and I suspect the Men In Grey Suits are already scheduling it.

Can't think why Major has suddenly become regarded by so many as the great Messiah of British Politics. My abiding memories of him will always revolve around the weekly humiliations he invariably suffered at PMQ's thanks to the late, great John Smith.

Who will ever forget his Laurel and Hardy of the Government speech directed at Major and Peerie Norrie Lamont?

"Aye, another fine mess you've got me into Stanley!"

45 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Can't think why Major has suddenly become regarded by so many as the great Messiah of British Politics. My abiding memories of him will always revolve around the weekly humiliations he invariably suffered at PMQ's thanks to the late, great John Smith.

Who will ever forget his Laurel and Hardy of the Government speech directed at Major and Peerie Norrie Lamont?

I think the idea is that when you stop being an MP, you no longer have to be guarded about what you say and can simply tell it straight.

The same is true of some other ex-MPs.

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

UK politics rewards failure, incompetence, and rejection by the beastly and ungrateful public. You just have to reach a certain age to be refashioned as a grandee and oracle. In the interim, whilst you wait for enough time to pass until Marr’s people call and invite you on to spread your pearls of wisdom, you can enjoy either lucrative after dinner speaking gigs or a nice lunch and nap in the lords.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2021/nov/08/uk-business-output-falls-for-sixth-month-in-a-row-amid-supply-chain-crisis?utm_term=Autofeed&CMP=twt_gu&utm_medium&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1636329798

UK business output falls for sixth month in a row amid supply chain crisis
Rising energy prices and worker shortages also take toll, says accountancy firm BDO

We gotta get outta this place.

Guest Bob Mahelp
14 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Things seldom happen randomly in British politics, and I think we can view John Major's intervention as the opening salvo in a process of removing Johnson from office.  I expect further opinions to now be aired, as the more 'mainstream' elements of the Tory party try to wrest control from the Spartans of the right wing.  With COVID potentially receding, focus will turn to the unfolding disaster of Brexit and they will be looking to re-position themselves away from the Brexiteer image to cope with new realities.  Johnson's exit will be a prerequisite for that and I suspect the Men In Grey Suits are already scheduling it.

Not a chance sadly. As long as the Tories have a huge majority, and as long as they're ahead of Labour in polls, Johnson is safe. 

The Tories won the last election on the back of populist lies and unashamed, good old fashioned right-wing bigotry. 

They'll double down on that before they get rid of Johnson and change course.

At times lime this I'm reminded of the 'quote' misattributed to Dennis Skinner in the Commons.  Apparently he never said it, but he probably wishes that it was one of his. 

He is supposed to have said "Half the members opposite are crooks!" When told by the Speaker to withdraw the remark, is is supposed to have said "OK then, half the members opposite aren't crooks...." 

Seems spot on these days. 

6 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

At times lime this I'm reminded of the 'quote' misattributed to Dennis Skinner in the Commons.  Apparently he never said it, but he probably wishes that it was one of his. 

He is supposed to have said "Half the members opposite are crooks!" When told by the Speaker to withdraw the remark, is is supposed to have said "OK then, half the members opposite aren't crooks...." 

Seems spot on these days. 

Like that one Winston Churchill's alleged to have said in reply to a lady member who accused him of being drunk in the house.

And you, madam are ugly. But in the morning I shall be sober.

Major's rehabilitation is probably partly because he is pro-EU. As a result the middle-aged #FBPE types that used to hate him now think he's brilliant, expecially when turning his fire on a Tory PM. There is however no getting away from it: a former PM saying those sorts of things about an incumbent cannot just be dismissed as yesterday's man shouting at the clouds. He is completely right here and yes it does hit harder when it's someone from your own party criticising you personally.

There's a long history of politicians that leave office and seemingly becoming more reasonable and personable. It is a crying shame that they compromise this to kiss the party's arse instead of putting themselves in a position where they could actually make a real difference. But no, best not rock the boat. I don't know if that applies in Major's case as I was too young, but the impression I have is that he ran a May-type government where he was not in control.

There's a lot of wishful thinking about Johnson. No doubt a lot of his MPs are very angry with him right now, but until he becomes an electoral liability, they will not get rid of him. Their own fortunes are, after all, tied to Johnson's and they sink or swim with him. 

Edited by Michael W

12 minutes ago, Suspect Device said:

Well their tactic is working. Sociopathic but effective.

Aye, exactly this. Their policy has always been to make it as difficult as possible for the weak and vulnerable to receive aid from the state. If you die in the meantime, so much the better.

29 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Major's rehabilitation is probably partly because he is pro-EU. As a result the middle-aged #FBPE types that used to hate him now think he's brilliant, expecially when turning his fire on a Tory PM. There is however no getting away from it: a former PM saying those sorts of things about an incumbent cannot just be dismissed as yesterday's man shouting at the clouds. He is completely right here and yes it does hit harder when it's someone from your own party criticising you personally.

There's a long history of politicians that leave office and seemingly becoming more reasonable and personable. It is a crying shame that they compromise this to kiss the party's arse instead of putting themselves in a position where they could actually make a real difference. But no, best not rock the boat. I don't know if that applies in Major's case as I was too young, but the impression I have is that he ran a May-type government where he was not in control.

There's a lot of wishful thinking about Johnson. No doubt a lot of his MPs are very angry with him right now, but until he becomes an electoral liability, they will not get rid of him. Their own fortunes are, after all, tied to Johnson's and they sink or swim with him. 

It's easy for Major to seem like one of the "decent" Tories because he and his government were so ineffectual. He was also clearly at his wit's end with his own party, which was determined to undermine itself with continual infighting over issues like EU membership, and grubbing around for illicit cash and carnal pleasures like, well, Tories.

The only real difference between Major and the others is that he seemed smart enough to realise that moderation was necessary to remain in government. Apparently people will put up with you slipping the silver flatware into your pockets over time, but if you start filling boxes with their best china while shagging their wife, eventually they object.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

Aye, exactly this. Their policy has always been to make it as difficult as possible for the weak and vulnerable to receive aid from the state. If you die in the meantime, so much the better.

It's easy for Major to seem like one of the "decent" Tories because he and his government were so ineffectual. He was also clearly at his wit's end with his own party, which was determined to undermine itself with continual infighting over issues like EU membership, and grubbing around for illicit cash and carnal pleasures like, well, Tories.

The only real difference between Major and the others is that he seemed smart enough to realise that moderation was necessary to remain in government. Apparently people will put up with you slipping the silver flatware into your pockets over time, but if you start filling boxes with their best china while shagging their wife, eventually they object.

Ray Currie likes this.

I understand that in the finest traditions of cowardly bullies, Boris won't be participating in today's debate about parliamentary standards. Also, rather than Rees-Mogg leading off for Her Majesty's Government it is to be Stephen Barclay, a Cabinet Office minister, widely referred to in the country by the expression "Who?" 

1 minute ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I understand that in the finest traditions of cowardly bullies, Boris won't be participating in today's debate about parliamentary standards. Also, rather than Rees-Mogg leading off for Her Majesty's Government it is to be Stephen Barclay, a Cabinet Office minister, widely referred to in the country by the expression "Who?" 

Muhammad Ali could still be World Champion if only he'd learned that, if it looks like you might get your arse handed to you, you just don't turn up for the fight.

5 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

It is a pity though; it would be fun seeing Boris try to bluster his way through it. 

Aye, but they know that well enough too.

2 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

As cowardly as it is, it's a smart political move . Whilst all that's going on, he's being filmed at a hospital, and that will appear on the news tonight. I suspect most people don't give a shit about his corruption , which is problematic itself.