Weddings

11 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I dont understand this thread.

The wife plans the wedding the best man plans the stag. You turn up.

Is she not a bit pissed off that you're getting re-married?

3 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

Was fairly recently an integral participant in a Big Italian Wedding.

Rule 1: Ignore the cynics on this thread and enjoy whatever you want to do

Rule 2: Ignore all of the miscellaneous relatives (frequently dreadful aunties) who feel like they deserve an opinion

Rule 3: If at all possible avoid telling any merchant you are buying supplies for a wedding, the Marriage Industrial Complex will add a massive markup. 

Agree with these 3 rules, as well as Speeches before the meal. 

Especially rule 2, as there will undoubtedly be some arsehole who asks for all the details before the day so they can decide whether they are going to have a good time or not. 

Go abroad. Only the people you actually like will be there. I went to Vegas, with both sets of parents. Good holiday, good food, nice views, guaranteed weather, good photos.

We had a big party when we got back, still put on food for everyone at night but there was no, mind and invite your aunties, pals, next door neighbours cats uncle.

One of my close mates is getting married in mexico next year. Just got told about it in July. No chance I can afford it. He is having a party when he gets back so will go to that.

I think a big part of a wedding day is giving something back to family and friends who have helped you or been there for you over the years. This trend for only thinking about exactly what you want is nae right and neither is this getting married abroad nonsense. The main part of the day for me was making sure that other people were well fed, had enough to drink and had a proper band to dance to at night. Don’t ask for money for your honeymoon it’s crass and don’t put out a wedding list if you’ve been living together for years already. Speeches before dinner.

Invite who you want and not who people (relatives) think you should be inviting.  At both my daughters weddings I gave into peer pressure to keep the peace, had a huge row after the first wedding because a relative was not sitting in a prominant enough position and foolishly reinvited the same relatives to the second wedding just to keep my mother and father happy.  Really regret doing it now.

Decide who you want and stick to it. If people are unhappy about it hard lines.

Do all your guests a favour.

Tell the DJ you will machine gun him if he even dares to play the DJ megamix generic shite every DJ in the land puts on.

Got mine well told to keep it mostly Indie and scissor sisters will result in the death penalty.

40 minutes ago, Moonglum25 said:

Invite who you want and not who people (relatives) think you should be inviting.  At both my daughters weddings I gave into peer pressure to keep the peace, had a huge row after the first wedding because a relative was not sitting in a prominant enough position and foolishly reinvited the same relatives to the second wedding just to keep my mother and father happy.  Really regret doing it now.

Decide who you want and stick to it. If people are unhappy about it hard lines.

Listen to this guy ^^^^^^^

We had to invite the wife's cousin to ours and her brood.

Nobody wanted the chav cow there but all the other cousins were coming so she had too.

We got told 2 days before the wedding she wasn't attending (not by her) so had to quickly upgrade 4 of our night guests to all day. What an awkward conversation that is.

5 hours ago, Rugster said:

Nae draught. Bottle beer only. Can’t remember how much they were. 

Nice. Thanks. I think.

32 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

Listen to this guy ^^^^^^^

We had to invite the wife's cousin to ours and her brood.

Nobody wanted the chav cow there but all the other cousins were coming so she had too.

We got told 2 days before the wedding she wasn't attending (not by her) so had to quickly upgrade 4 of our night guests to all day. What an awkward conversation that is.

I was at a wedding where a day guest lassie had fallen out with her boyfriend so wasn't coming and a different mate was "upgraded" to all day.
On the day the guy and lassie had fell back in and he showed up, The upgraded guest had to be squeezed in elsewhere and I imagine his dinner was made up of a tiny portion of everyone else's.

2 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Getting a cake must be difficult.

Yes, a cake is one of those things you have to reveal.  Any of the decorative shit though can be had without telling anyone it's for a wedding.  We got a surprisingly large amount of stuff at Dollarama (Canadian poundland) and it still looked great

25 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Yes, a cake is one of those things you have to reveal.  Any of the decorative shit though can be had without telling anyone it's for a wedding.  We got a surprisingly large amount of stuff at Dollarama (Canadian poundland) and it still looked great

One of our favourite wedding decorations was a frame from Home Sense. £5.99. Plus 40p to print a picture and its sorted, no expensive decoration required. 

Do all your guests a favour.
Tell the DJ you will machine gun him if he even dares to play the DJ megamix generic shite every DJ in the land puts on.
Got mine well told to keep it mostly Indie and scissor sisters will result in the death penalty.

I don't mind a DJ generic megamix, however when the Scissor Sisters get played, I don't feel like dancing.