The Big Relegation Thread

The fact Hearts are now 4/1 to finish having been 150/1 at the start of the season is telling. To put that into context StMirren are 11/4 and Hamilton are 13/8.

StJohnstone are now 10/1, that should calm some of the knicker wetters [emoji8] County are 14s and Livi are 20/1.

January is a big month coming up but I can only see a lot of squad movement from Hearts down at the bottom.

Obviously it’s quite funny the nick Hearts have got themselves into, but looking at how much they’ve spent/their budget compared to state of their squad and their performances thus far is utterly damning on Levein and Budge. How you can f**k it up that badly with presumably at least the 4th highest budget in the league is absolutely wild.

Outside the OF the league is fucking dross this year so if Hearts somehow manage to get relegated, for me that blows Dundee Utd, Dundee & Hibs’ recent relegations out the water as the worst of the lot imo.

10 hours ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Sorry, I guess looking at the past 12-13 calendar months of form (which, incidentally, would have Hearts comfortably 12th) is 100% too early. 

Any team can turn things around and when you have one with money to spend in a transfer window even more so. 

17 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Any team can turn things around and when you have one with money to spend in a transfer window even more so. 

Its not as simple as saying "get the chequebook out for new players", Hearts first team squad is enormous (30+?) - many of them on decent cash and long term deals.

So there is a double whammy of needing to bring in maybe half a dozen decent players (in January - is that even possible?) who will need good money and maybe transfer fees.

All this while having to ship out those surplus to requirements - and, based on performances there might not be many takers - so what do you do? Pay them up?

Without even adding it up that is spending 7 figures overall.

In order to finance the above, someone needs to come up with the cash - either Budge, some mystery benefactor, or they need to sell an asset.

Hicky is the only one that will bring in decent cash but then they would need to replace their only really good defender with an unknown quantity.

And - finally - who is it that gets to look at new recruits and deal with punting players? The guys Budge has already said are out of a job when contracts are up in May.

All in all................

image.png.39d2f77a5a7758ef5c5c90179876497a.png.7f231ef7e563a60ed626eb4fc1240759.png

23 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Its not as simple as saying "get the chequebook out for new players", Hearts first team squad is enormous (30+?) - many of them on decent cash and long term deals.

So there is a double whammy of needing to bring in maybe half a dozen decent players (in January - is that even possible?) who will need good money and maybe transfer fees.

All this while having to ship out those surplus to requirements - and, based on performances there might not be many takers - so what do you do? Pay them up?

Without even adding it up that is spending 7 figures overall.

In order to finance the above, someone needs to come up with the cash - either Budge, some mystery benefactor, or they need to sell an asset.

Hicky is the only one that will bring in decent cash but then they would need to replace their only really good defender with an unknown quantity.

And - finally - who is it that gets to look at new recruits and deal with punting players? The guys Budge has already said are out of a job when contracts are up in May.

All in all................

image.png.39d2f77a5a7758ef5c5c90179876497a.png.7f231ef7e563a60ed626eb4fc1240759.png

Of course it’s not saying it’s simple. I’m simply saying that to state “ Hearts are relegated” at this point of the season is daft. I’m not saying they won’t get relegated and maybe for some they are favourite. But none of that means it’s a certainty until it’s mathematically impossible. There are still months to go in the season and a couple of wins can change anything. 

58 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Do Hearts have money to spend? Their own chairwoman has said they need to sell to be able to buy, and the rumour mill suggests theyve been, unsuccessfully, trying to goad English clubs into a bidding war for Hickey for the past year. I'm sure, in terms of "cash in hand", theyve got almost nothing.

Huge financial risk to spend a fortune trying to resolve this mess, if they do it and still go down theyll be in a really dark place. 

43 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was going to say that about Perth but who'd believe it?

Tbf its growing pretty quickly, no matter what end you go to, huge new housing schemes are getting built.

6 minutes ago, Yorky said:

Of course it’s not saying it’s simple. I’m simply saying that to state “ Hearts are relegated” at this point of the season is daft. I’m not saying they won’t get relegated and maybe for some they are favourite. But none of that means it’s a certainty until it’s mathematically impossible. There are still months to go in the season and a couple of wins can change anything. 

Nobody has been in Hearts position in the last decade and survived.

On 21/12/2019 at 18:08, RandomGuy. said:

Just checked. Teams bottom on Christmas Day...

18/19 - Dundee - 3pts off 11th - Relegated

17/18 - Partick - 2pts off 11th - Relegated

16/17 - ICT - Bottom on GD - Relegated

15/16 - Dundee United - 10pts off 11th - Relegated

14/15 - St Mirren - 1pt off 11th - Relegated

13/14 - Hearts - 14pts off 11th - Relegated

Thats the full record since the Play-Offs began. A lot of history for Hearts to overcome, although with them starting it, would be a twist if they managed to end that run.

Did all those teams go straight down or were a couple of them via the playoffs? I'm sure Thistle were the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

Did all those teams go straight down or were a couple of them via the playoffs? I'm sure Thistle were the playoffs.

Thistle the only team to down via the play offs.

Worth adding they were tied on points with 11th on Christmas Day, only bottom on GD.

Edited by RandomGuy.

If there are two teams I expect to drag themselves away from the bottom two, they are St Mirren (because of how they're playing) and Hearts (because they've got more money and some good players).

I really wasn't impressed by County or the Saints the last time I saw each of them, but we haven't managed to beat either to drag them into it.

We've only deserved to win one game all season, to be honest, so we're lucky to still be within touching distance of everyone else.