The Big Relegation Thread

Just now, A96 said:

For what it’s worth , I reckon St Johnstone’s performance against us about a month ago was the worst I’ve seen from any opponents this season. And I’m talking about the 75 minutes or so when they had 11 players on the park

We were piss-poor that day lacking any real urgency  , until the last 5 minutes  but despite that we were comfortably in control and managed to create enough chances to have the game sewn up long before they equalised. The Saints posed no threat at all until they scored.

However , maybe the salvaging of a point that day was a turning point for them as they’ve had a pretty good run since then.. But they were so bad that I think the possibility of them,going on a another bad run shouldn’t be discounted.

Liam Gordon returning from injury was our turning point. With Wallace Duffy in there we, on average, concede a goal every 35 minutes.

For what it's worth I thought Aberdeens performance against Saints was the worst, most aimless, shite I've seen from any opponent this or last season, even when we had 11 men. Then we went down to 9 and they were even more clueless. It'll be a joke and highlight just how shite Scottish football is if they are one of the teams who reach Europa qualifiers. 

For what it's worth I thought Aberdeens performance against Saints was the worst, most aimless, shite I've seen from any opponent this or last season, even when we had 11 men. Then we went down to 9 and they were even more clueless. It'll be a joke and highlight just how shite Scottish football is if they are one of the teams who reach Europa qualifiers. 

It isn’t worth a great deal, but thank you.

18 hours ago, A96 said:

For what it’s worth , I reckon St Johnstone’s performance against us about a month ago was the worst I’ve seen from any opponents this season. And I’m talking about the 75 minutes or so when they had 11 players on the park

We were piss-poor that day lacking any real urgency  , until the last 5 minutes  but despite that we were comfortably in control and managed to create enough chances to have the game sewn up long before they equalised. The Saints posed no threat at all until they scored.

However , maybe the salvaging of a point that day was a turning point for them as they’ve had a pretty good run since then.. But they were so bad that I think the possibility of them,going on a another bad run shouldn’t be discounted.

The strange thing is, no matter how bad we were for the first hour or so, if we'd kept 11 men on the park after we equalised there was only going to be one winner that day, and it wasn't Aberdeen.

Screenshot_20191229-171041_Chrome.thumb.jpg.706b43ca4596dbb1ca23afa5021fe53d.jpg

Massive results for St Mirren and Hamilton, exactly when they needed them. Neither St Johnstone or Ross County can drag themselves clear of the mess. Hearts finally pick up a point, but still lose ground on 10th.

Screenshot_20191229-171059_Chrome.thumb.jpg.728f692bd2d2568e255a57922576acda.jpg

Safe to say all these teams are involved? Kilmarnock dropping like a stone lately and getting themselves worryingly close to 11th.

38 points usually gets you 10th, in a normal season Hearts will need around 25 points from 17 games to survive, nobody else needs more than 20.

Massive transfer window coming up, and winter break. 

36 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

Kilmarnock last 7 matches:

W0  D2  L5   GF 2   GA 9   Pts 2

Have not scored a single goal in six matches.   One win in last 11 matches.

It's what's known in Championship parts as 'Raithing it'.

The 'mini league' from 5th to 12th means it's going to require a big points total to be properly safe this season. It's fascinating as hell and I think at least four clubs could of be involved at a very late stage.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

The 'mini league' from 5th to 12th means it's going to require a big points total to be properly safe this season. It's fascinating as hell and I think at least four clubs could of be involved at a very late stage.

I'd say Livingston and Hibs are going to be comfortably safe.

Hearts have given themselves too much to do, IMO, if they get their signings right they have a chance but it's a long shot. 

Of the rest I'd say St Mirren are the best there, and should be fine barring losing key players in January. Hamilton will pick up random results as they always do, but will be around 11th until the bitter end. Kilmarnock need to hire a new manager, but I reckon theyll pick up points eventually to keep them fine. County look dreadful every time i see them, while St Johnstone just cant score goals. 

In essence, Hearts doon, Hamilton/St Johnstone/Ross County for the play off.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

I think so as well. There's a fair chance that previous relegation/ play off points targets go out the window as there are so many teams capable of taking points off each other.

Teams like Killie who looked to be battling for third, and Hibs who looked to have pulled well away from it after Jack Ross' first few matches, are not long in being pulled back into it with everyone capable of grabbing points.

If Hearts get their act together and get a few wins quite quickly after the break, then there will be a lot of clubs absolutely shiteing it!

February looks massive for Hearts. Celtic away in the middle but...

St Johnstone (A), Kilmarnock (H), Hamilton (H), St Mirren (A)

... could be a run of games against the four teams directly above them. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

February looks massive for Hearts. Celtic away in the middle but...

St Johnstone (A), Kilmarnock (H), Hamilton (H), St Mirren (A)

... could be a run of games against the four teams directly above them. 

Cuts both ways. If those teams take points then it will stretch the space between them. Can see them loosing all of these games except the Killie game where they could get a draw.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'd say Livingston and Hibs are going to be comfortably safe.

Hearts have given themselves too much to do, IMO, if they get their signings right they have a chance but it's a long shot. 

Of the rest I'd say St Mirren are the best there, and should be fine barring losing key players in January. Hamilton will pick up random results as they always do, but will be around 11th until the bitter end. Kilmarnock need to hire a new manager, but I reckon theyll pick up points eventually to keep them fine. County look dreadful every time i see them, while St Johnstone just cant score goals. 

In essence, Hearts doon, Hamilton/St Johnstone/Ross County for the play off.

Agree with all that. 

I'd also point out that I'm not seeing much for anyone to fear from the likely Championship playoff contenders. Obviously DUFC pushed us very close last season, but they were better than anything else in that league from this season, and I'd say we were considerably worse than this year's St Mirren/St Johnstone/Accies/County.

That said, I obviously hope we avoid them, as does my cardiologist.