The Big Relegation Thread

On 03/10/2020 at 22:10, Green Day said:

Hate to say it, but thats where my money goes having watched them all.

I mentioned St Johnstone in this post in October - regardless of their current league placing I suspect they will improve their position. 

Hamilton got a good result v County this week, but papering over the cracks a bit (eta, as the Livi match shows).

Can Yogi save County? I have my doubts.

Edited by Green Day

I really fear for the Johnnies this season.

I don't mean this in a "haha you've got no fans" way but it's hard to see a club with their diminishing support base being able to finance a promotion back to the top flight.

We might never see them again.

7 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I really fear for the Johnnies this season.

I don't mean this in a "haha you've got no fans" way but it's hard to see a club with their diminishing support base being able to finance a promotion back to the top flight.

We might never see them again.

Trying a little too hard.  

30 minutes ago, Hendo said:

It is surprising that it is still so tight down there. When you look at respective squads, Accies and County should be well adrift in the style of Saints and Dundee from 2 seasons ago.

Take away Hamilton's forfeit points and the league looks more like that, tbf. With Motherwell down there on 16 as well.

Whether it happens or not, that's at least a true reflection of how teams have performed so far.

I mentioned St Johnstone in this post in October - regardless of their current league placing I suspect they will improve their position. 
Hamilton got a good result v County this week, but papering over the cracks a bit (eta, as the Livi match shows).
Tbf all we've been doing since like 2015 is getting results that paper over cracks. We'll never be good and will have performances like last night for 95% of the season yet continue to stink up the Premiership.

Screenshot_20201224-081741_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f9fa166d298d10d384fe70880d4aad41.jpg

Livingston the nights big winners, I think. Rest probably went as expected.

Screenshot_20201224-081651_Chrome.jpg.f369627d142c41de0d8975646efdaee3.jpg

5th to 7th arguably now clear of 12th? 

Play off spot still an option though, and always the chance Motherwell get 6pts taken off them which drops them in the shit again.

Screenshot_20201224-081709_Chrome.thumb.jpg.149575d03d93d41497d68d75bfce552c.jpg

Massive game for St Mirren, win that and can start looking upwards.

Same for Livingston.

Horrible feeling the bottom four will find themselves adrift after this round of fixtures.

10 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
1 hour ago, Green Day said:

Tbf all we've been doing since like 2015 is getting results that paper over cracks. We'll never be good and will have performances like last night for 95% of the season yet continue to stink up the Premiership.

The nature of the league set up seems to allow that to happen. Not just you: us two years ago. We should never have stayed up, but Dundee were somehow worse. We were the same for several years under Gus McP. Scraping by, offering not much.

I wonder if a change of set-up would help. It's a shame nobody ever talks about league reconstruction. 

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Screenshot_20201224-081741_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f9fa166d298d10d384fe70880d4aad41.jpg

Livingston the nights big winners, I think. Rest probably went as expected.

Screenshot_20201224-081651_Chrome.jpg.f369627d142c41de0d8975646efdaee3.jpg

5th to 7th arguably now clear of 12th? 

Play off spot still an option though, and always the chance Motherwell get 6pts taken off them which drops them in the shit again.

Screenshot_20201224-081709_Chrome.thumb.jpg.149575d03d93d41497d68d75bfce552c.jpg

Those fixtures look easy to predict.

Home win
Home win
Home win
Away win
Home win
Draw

January is a massive month for us. Its been repeated numerous times but our squad is loaded with shite and persisting with the same group of players until the end of the season could easily see us in one of the bottom 2 places. Particularly if we lose the 6 points.

We are due a few key players back from injury but with no reserve football it's anyone's guess how long it'll take them to get back up to speed. Robinson has always been fairly quick to realise when something isn't working and I expect we'll do some business in January to try and rectify things a bit. The issue we have is whether the players we bring in are any better than what we have - if the summer is anything to go by then I wouldn't be too confident.

If a team should be fine contingent on strengthening in January then a 15% chance of not being fine is entirely reasonable.

The good news for the top flight teams is that the second tier is outdoing itself in being an utter dogshit standard again this season, so whoever finishes 11th should be heavy favourites in the playoffs. Unless it's Hamilton playing Ayr and losing for about the 17th time since 2010.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

If a team should be fine contingent on strengthening in January then a 15% chance of not being fine is entirely reasonable.

The good news for the top flight teams is that the second tier is outdoing itself in being an utter dogshit standard again this season, so whoever finishes 11th should be heavy favourites in the playoffs. Unless it's Hamilton playing Ayr and losing for about the 17th time since 2010.

But it's relative to other teams as well - if St Johnstone get a new keeper I'd expect to see them there or thereabouts in the top six.

There are far more question marks over Killie than St Johnstone IMO - I wonder what those numbers are seeing.

Is it just me or do these indexes always show the team that are bottom of the league are most likely to be relegated, the team second bottom the next likely and so on?

There doesn't seem to be much more to them than that.

Edited by Szamo's_Ammo