The Big Relegation Thread

9 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's been a mad decade in lots of ways, as you say. Within Hearts and in Scottish football in general.

It is never some huge achievement for Hearts, Hibs, or Aberdeen to be third in the league. It's going to happen for each of us from time to time. And we've definitely been helped by how shite both of those sides are this season.

It's overly-simplistic to say we should just be happy with what we have because we're third.

Again, I don't think Neilson is dreadful. I just think he doesn't make the best of what we have.

It’s amusing. The short memories of football supporters. Aberdeen were utter garbage for years until they managed to capitalise on Hearts, Rangers and Hibs finding themselves out of the picture for a bit. Hibs’ record isn’t even close to Hearts’ on all fronts. Suddenly you have a situation where our period where we were a mess on the field is being presented as the norm. 🤣

I quite like Neilson, but he absolutely does have his limitations. I think we will do well with him, and then he will try his hand elsewhere again. When that happens, we need to absolutely make sure we don’t suffer a decline. If Savage and all the back room staff he has identified stay, then I’m not too worried about that scenario. I’d go for an experienced Burley type coach next. One who has competed quite well at a higher level, and who fancies a new challenge.

3 minutes ago, Kyle Reese said:

It’s amusing. The short memories of football supporters. Aberdeen were utter garbage for years until they managed to capitalise on Hearts, Rangers and Hibs finding themselves out of the picture for a bit. Hibs’ record isn’t even close to Hearts’ on all fronts. Suddenly you have a situation where our period where we were a mess on the field is being presented as the norm. 🤣

I quite like Neilson, but he absolutely does have his limitations. I think we will do well with him, and then he will try his hand elsewhere again. When that happens, we need to absolutely make sure we don’t suffer a decline. If Savage and all the back room staff he has identified stay, then I’m not too worried about that scenario. I’d go for an experienced Burley type coach next. One who has competed quite well at a higher level, and who fancies a new challenge.

It's obvious, but we skim over it all the time.

Any club's period of success is in part due to failings elsewhere. Levein's first spell came when Aberdeen were utter shite and Hibs mediocre, we finished second in 2005/06 with a good side, but we benefited from Rangers being shite. In the last decade Aberdeen benefited hugely from chaos at Rangers, Hearts, and Hibs.

It's just the normal run of things. We all see our successes as coming from our club alone, but it's rarely true. We're benefiting now, and so is Robbie.

31 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

I think Hearts should be looking to eventually win the league.

I don't mean we will win it, but we should be aiming to win it.

Neilson won't win it. But he is a step on the way. He may deliver group stage football and the cash it brings.

I understand people use this kind of thing as 'entitled Hearts fans' etc etc. But it's not that. We have a good squad and our coach doesn't get the best out of them. And he has spent years showing he under-performs in big games.

He's not bad and I'm not dying to see him chased out tomorrow. But we can do better.

Absolute fantasy land, Hearts will never win the league. I hope you do sack your manager in search of the 'next step' though. That kind of thing has worked out well for you in the past.

3 minutes ago, Lex said:

Absolute fantasy land, Hearts will never win the league. I hope you do sack your manager in search of the 'next step' though. That kind of thing has worked out well for you in the past.

Heid’s gone.

7 minutes ago, Lex said:

Some people will read it like this.

I'm not saying sacking Neilson will win Hearts the league. This is a tiresome take on what I think is a reasonable thing to say. Hearts should aim to win the league.

That's up to you.

5 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

It's obvious, but we skim over it all the time.

Any club's period of success is in part due to failings elsewhere. Levein's first spell came when Aberdeen were utter shite and Hibs mediocre, we finished second in 2005/06 with a good side, but we benefited from Rangers being shite. In the last decade Aberdeen benefited hugely from chaos at Rangers, Hearts, and Hibs.

It's just the normal run of things. We all see our successes as coming from our club alone, but it's rarely true. We're benefiting now, and so is Robbie.

Very well put. It’s like money in the economy, or water on the planet. There’s a finite amount of success available to anyone. When one of your direct competitors is no longer in the game, you have the chance to snatch the resources that they would normally be positioned to accumulate.

Just now, House Bartender said:

Any reason that "The Big Relegation Thread" has turned into a Jambo-ree? This space is reserved for Dundee and St J (with County trying to maintain an interest).

Oh, and with Aberdeen and Hibs and Livi and St Mirren and United looking on in eager anticipation. But Hearts????

Can’t speak for any other Jambos, but this one is just really enjoying all the fear and misery in it. 🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

Any reason that "The Big Relegation Thread" has turned into a Jambo-ree? This space is reserved for Dundee and St J (with County trying to maintain an interest).

Oh, and with Aberdeen and Hibs and Livi and St Mirren and United looking on in eager anticipation. But Hearts????

Goes back to a post about which managers are looking secure atm  and whether or not Nielsen should be in that category.... 

Screenshot_20220209-214224_Chrome.thumb.jpg.f70c0986c727bbd9bb88fb0affdf689a.jpg

Dundee massive winners. Relegation battlers need wins from nowhere, tonight one for them. County continue getting points. St Johnstone the big losers.

Screenshot_20220209-214241_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ed0b752f960b717d8461ceaf5b33c679.jpg

Would say that's confirmed us to the bottom two, no chance of gaining 8+ points more than County now. Dundee can start thinking about the sides above them due to the game in hand.

What a night for Dundee, what a strange team. They lose at home to Ross County and go bottom. Next game Tynecastle while St Johnstone go to Paisley.
You’re thinking realistic best case scenario for the Dees tonight is they don’t lose any more ground on the Saintees.
They end up being the only team in the bottom six to win, getting up to 11th and gaining points on all the teams immediately above them. They couldn’t get tenth, could they?
The Perth Saints are deep in it, two points adrift in 12th and they looked like a relegated team tonight. Would Davidson take 11th if it was offered right now? I think he would.
Hibs are a bad side, but Ross put enough points on the board before they binned him that even Shaun Maloney won’t be able to relegate them, despite his best efforts. Livi will not be in any trouble under Martindale, too well coached.
County or The Dons? They both look just about catchable to me. It’s the cup weekend off, so the next league game is a stand alone fixture on Tuesday night at Pittodrie, Aberdeen v St Johnstone. What a massive match, for both clubs.

5 hours ago, Honest Saints Fan said:

Goodbye Dundee fans. This is our thread now until the end of the season. 

the middle idk GIF by ABC Network

Just like it was ours last week for the rest of the season.

We're playing Celtic next and you have 2 games in that time. Can't wait to swap again.

8 hours ago, Lex said:

Hibs are a bad side, but Ross put enough points on the board before they binned him that even Shaun Maloney won’t be able to relegate them, despite his best efforts

We have seven matches before the split, Celtic, Hearts and Aberdeen among them.

We also have Ross County, Dundee and St J in among them - we are actually playing ok in spells, but cant score in a brothel. As you found on Saturday, score against us and we wont come back.

Not 100% sure that we are safe.