The Big Relegation Thread

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Also don't recall any Livi fans saying 'I wish we were getting relegated' while they were finishing top six.

Yep...the  novelty wears off p.d.q.

Ask any Utd fan about that.  (Of course, it's not that much of a novelty for them t.b.f.)

6 hours ago, hk blues said:

I remember we used to say that too.

Same, I remember last time we got relegated thinking it would be ok and we'd at least win a few games and be one of the better teams in the league. (f**k knows why, apparently the 90s and most of the early 00s had somehow been erased from my brain). Of course we nearly got relegated again instead.

The only really good time in the championship is the time you win it to come back up. Rest of the time it's pretty bad.

43 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Relegation allows you to release all the deadwood from a bloated squad, and the games are slightly more enjoyable.  But that’s about it.  

More likely to give youth a chance as well and get some decent players through that might not have played in the prem.

14 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Still believe Aberdeen will end mlre than safe so its the other 3 who need a great window.

I think similar, that Aberdeen are bound to pull away, but a quick look at their fixtures immediately after the break and you realise it might not be that easy:

St Johnstone (A)

Hearts (A)

Celtic (H)

Rangers (A)

Hibs (H)

Kilmarnock (A)

If Saints can take something out of that first game back, the Dons then have arguably the 5 toughest matches possible and could easily be going into March still in the dogfight.

4 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

I think similar, that Aberdeen are bound to pull away, but a quick look at their fixtures immediately after the break and you realise it might not be that easy:

St Johnstone (A)

Hearts (A)

Celtic (H)

Rangers (A)

Hibs (H)

Kilmarnock (A)

If Saints can take something out of that first game back, the Dons then have arguably the 5 toughest matches possible and could easily be going into March still in the dogfight.

With a solid keeper in Roos, and the likes of McGrath,  Miovski and Duk in their ranks, when comparing Aberdeen's squad to the likes of ours and Livi's, it really is crazy that Robson has them down floundering at the bottom with us. Surely a shrewd managerial change is all that's required to see them easily climb to mid-table mediocrity at the very worst?

Think they need to pull the trigger now though and try to get the fabled new manager bounce going into that tough post split run, and give the new guy the window and the best possible chance to achieve it. From a selfish and Motherwell point of view, I'd be happy to see Barry's stay of execution extended though!!.

3 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

St Johnstone (A)

Hearts (A)

Celtic (H)

Rangers (A)

Hibs (H)

Kilmarnock (A)

Their record at Tynecastle is great isnt it?

Could fully them picking up 10-12pts from that lot, if they get an actual manager in quickly.

20 minutes ago, DC92 said:

Eh... no. It is famously a fixture where the away team never wins.

15 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Pretty sure that will have been sarcastic. 

Genuinely thought it was, but miles out.

Cant remember why i thought it tbh 😂 had it in my head that around the McGinn wonder goal time that Aberdeen were always winning at Tynecastle and now avoided defeat a lot, but obviously miles out with that.

18 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Genuinely thought it was, but miles out.

Cant remember why i thought it tbh 😂 had it in my head that around the McGinn wonder goal time that Aberdeen were always winning at Tynecastle and now avoided defeat a lot, but obviously miles out with that.

Would genuinely say we have a better recent record at ibrox 

Dundee P-P St Johnstone

Hibernian 2-2 Motherwell

Livingston 1-2 Hearts

Ross County 0-3 Aberdeen 

County and Livingston lose another home game, Motherwell meanwhile get a good point away from home that probably feels like a loss? Aberdeen remain the one of the 6 i think is safe.

Table....

Screenshot_20240102_170801_Chrome.thumb.jpg.91e80899a892eec72aae2231d4975892.jpg

Games in hand make this all a bit funky, but Livingston really do look doomed. Probably need at least 20pts from their next 17 games to stand a chance, so 5/6 wins, having only won 2 from 21 so far. With the teams above all liable to pick up points v each other, is the gap already too big? They simply have to win their next game.

Remaining January fixtures are...

January 23rd: Hearts v Dundee

January 24th: St Johnstone Aberdeen

January 27th: Celtic v Ross County, Hearts v AberdeenLivingston DundeeSt Johnstone Motherwell

January 30th: Livingston Ross County

17 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Table....

Screenshot_20240102_170801_Chrome.thumb.jpg.91e80899a892eec72aae2231d4975892.jpg

Games in hand make this all a bit funky, but Livingston really do look doomed. Probably need at least 20pts from their next 17 games to stand a chance

I’d say closer to 24/25 points to stand a chance, around 1.5ppg, something only the top 3 teams in the league have managed thus far. So aye, they’re doomed 

43 minutes ago, Wilsons14 said:

I’d say closer to 24/25 points to stand a chance, around 1.5ppg, something only the top 3 teams in the league have managed thus far. So aye, they’re doomed 

Yeah think 36-38 is usually the target that guarantees you avoiding bottom?

So your 24+ points tally is spot on really. 

They don't need to reach a target that guarantees them avoiding bottom, they just need to pick up enough points to finish ahead of Ross County, St Johnstone or Motherwell. They're obviously favourites to go down, but the gap is only six points and teams have stayed up from far worse positions before.

Since the play-off was introduced nearly a decade ago, the bottom and second bottom teams have never managed 38 points - the bottom team typically struggle to even get past 30 (average is 29 points excluding Hearts with their points deduction in 2013/14), and second bottom have averaged 34.6 in the same period.

2022/23 - 31 and 34
2021/22 - 29 and 35
2020/21 - 30 and 36
2019/20 - season finished early
2018/19 - 21 and 32
2017/18 - 29 and 33
2016/17 - 34 and 35
2015/16 - 28 and 36
2014/15 - 30 and 36
2013/14 - 23* and 35

*Hearts had a 15 point deduction

Historically we seem to be a team that goes on streaks, when things are going bad it tends to keep going bad until something breaks. When it's good we seem to go on a run of wins, we did it with Martindale's first games in the job. It's usually early season we get it together then slide away at the end missing top 6. Hopefully this season it's the other way around and not another late season collapse to go with an early season one. 

Martindale already asked players not committed to get their agents to call him and he'll rip up the contract for free, and De Lucas is gone via that already. Big window to come for us IMO

• 3 weeks later...

WE'RE BACK!

Screenshot_20240121_183456_Chrome.thumb.jpg.be4489228669a5f999cdb2e9c3553b48.jpg

Tuesday - Hearts v Dundee

Wednesday - St Johnstone v Aberdeen

Saturday - Celtic v Ross County, Kilmarnock v HibernianLivingston DundeeSt Johnstone Motherwell

Ross County likely gain 0 points, so a real chance for Livingston to gain some ground back.

Winner of St Johnstone v Motherwell takes a huge step to safety. 

Edited by RandomGuy.