The Big Relegation Thread

Midweek results

Hearts 3 - 2 Dundee

Hibernian 0 - 3 Rangers

St Johnstone 1 - 1 Aberdeen

No real winners this midweek?

Screenshot_20240124_223202_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6ec3ad8d79932e280e62baa6ba5b3c75.jpg

Another game ticked off but the games in hand are looking decisive now.

Weekend fixtures have some hard ones, with Livingston licking their lips at the chance of closing the gap on a few teams...

Celtic v Ross County

Hearts v Aberdeen

Kilmarnock v Hibernian

Livingston Dundee

St Johnstone Motherwell

13 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Better teams in the league this season though.

I'm not entirely sure there are though. A very average Hearts side are running away with 3rd and Kille and St Mirren seem relatively steady, below that though? Although you guys have undoubtedly shown a bit of class at times and Hibs have been blowing hot and cold, there really hasn't been much quality on show at all and it's all to play for in the diddy stakes.

Just now, 'WellDel said:

I'm not entirely sure there are though. A very average Hearts side are running away with 3rd and Kille and St Mirren seem relatively steady, below that though? Although you guys have undoubtedly shown a bit of class at times and Hibs have been blowing hot and cold, there really hasn't been much quality on show at all and it's all to play for in the diddy stakes.

Sorry, what I meant to say was; Dundee United are shite.

11 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

We thought the same when we got relegated, different grounds and teams and a wee change of scenery, but in truth The Championship was utter shite.

10 hours ago, Squalor Vic said:

Obviously not been in this thread cos Killie are officially brilliant now, but my experience with us also was we signed a lot shite we couldn't get rid of when we came back up and the games were rarely enjoyable 

Interesting. These seem to be the two tropes that are often spouted in our friend group when it comes to relegation possibility. 

43 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’m sure the same was said last year at this time! 😂 

Just shows how the league's stagnated, eh? I doubt any Hearts fan can say that any of their sides in the last few seasons have been close to their best. The entire league is horseshit quality-wise, Hearts are just at the top of a very shite pile. Even the Glasgow pair are stinking out European competition even more than they usually do. I don't know what the answer is, but our whole game needs a boot up the hoop.

6 hours ago, Paris Hilltoon said:

Interesting take when your own team threw 3 away last night. 

I don't know - surely a home game against a relegation rival would be viewed as an opportunity, and one that was missed?

1 hour ago, hk blues said:

I don't know - surely a home game against a relegation rival would be viewed as an opportunity, and one that was missed?

Only if youre thick enough to believe Aberdeen are in anyway involved in the relegation battle. 

Considering theyre clear, wirh 2 games in hand, while being hamstrung by the worst manager in the league, i dont.

Dundee arses will be twitching if they lose on Saturday and either us or Motherwell win. You can tell it playing on minds now.

6 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Interesting. These seem to be the two tropes that are often spouted in our friend group when it comes to relegation possibility. 

I think most people just look to the potential positives because why not if relegation is going to happen anyway.

Personally I've made my peace with us being relegated - a combination of being older, the club's future being secure and looking over the precipice in 2015 - and I'm a lot less stressed about it. Should it happen I'll hope we actually get to enjoy some of those positives because that seems a more enjoyable life than being utterly miserable just because your team is playing a bunch of different teams.

However, that is far from the same as wanting it to happen and we should be doing everything we can to avoid it - as others have shown, if you're very lucky/good it takes a couple of years to recover from, if you're not it can be a couple of decades. Relegation for a club our size is undoubtedly a very bad thing.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only if youre thick enough to believe Aberdeen are in anyway involved in the relegation battle. 

Considering theyre clear, wirh 2 games in hand, while being hamstrung by the worst manager in the league, i dont.

Dundee arses will be twitching if they lose on Saturday and either us or Motherwell win. You can tell it playing on minds now.

I was being a wee bit 'naughty' by describing Dons as a relegation rival - they're not going to be close to it - but the point still stands that a home game against a team playing poorly as opposed to an away game against a team out in front in 3rd has to be viewed as a missed opportunity for one of us, and I don't think it is Dundee. 

I think most Dees are aware that we would hit a poor spell at some point  (if that's what we would be having should we lose on Saturday) but are confident enough that we have a manager and squad capable of picking up enough points to survive the season.  Nobody down Dens way is counting any chickens but there is a level of confidence that hasn't existed in many a season.  

Just now, hk blues said:

I was being a wee bit 'naughty' by describing Dons as a relegation rival - they're not going to be close to it - but the point still stands that a home game against a team playing poorly as opposed to an away game against a team out in front in 3rd has to be viewed as a missed opportunity for one of us, and I don't think it is Dundee. 

I think most Dees are aware that we would hit a poor spell at some point  (if that's what we would be having should we lose on Saturday) but are confident enough that we have a manager and squad capable of picking up enough points to survive the season.  Nobody down Dens way is counting any chickens but there is a level of confidence that hasn't existed in many a season.  

Youre not winning games while playing well, wait until you actually hit a poor spell.

8 hours ago, 'WellDel said:

Oh you should just have said, we can all agree on that and hope that it is forever the case. DAB bassas.

Michael Buble Flirting GIF by bubly

15 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aberdeen are probably ok, but I think you're jumping the gun a bit here.

Aberdeen play Hearts away, Rangers away, and Celtic at home in their next four games, with their other game being at home to Dundee. It's not inconcievable that they get sucked in over the next month, and then they have a potentially very big game at home to Motherwell. They're also going to play a lot of games in the next few weeks. Their form is erratic and they could drop points to anyone. Their win in Dingwall is their only really convincing performance for months against anyone.

They concede a lot of goals. They seldom keep a clean sheet. They have a bad coach and an owner who hasn't hired a good coach in three attempts.

They'll probably be ok, and if they beat Hearts on Saturday then they're looking up the table rather than down, but I disagree you'd need to be "thick" to see there's a path for them to end up in trouble.

Edited by VincentGuerin

15 hours ago, Zing. said:

I think we’ll be joining this party properly over the next few weeks. Zero confidence in this Hibs team to get any points out of the next three games.

I wouldn't say no chance as we have witnessed an almighty Hibs collapse in the past.

I'd say it's highly unlikely though.