Scotland squad next month

Do you not think better quality players create better and more chances?
Do you think that Andy Robertson or Ryan Fraser or James forrest or John Mcginn or any number of players. Would not improve the number and quality of chances if they played for Dundee utd. Is that what you think?
As for the created chance part, christ 
Dundee utd play different games against different teams to the teams Scotland play. Do you know that?

It is all relative though? Would scotland create more chance against belgium than dundee utd against dundee? Yes scotland will create lots of chances against san marino but then dundee utd would create lots of chances against someone like spartans

I’m not usually one for chucking the toys out the pram over ‘diddies’ being called up when no one can actually suggest a better option - see every discussion about O’Donnell after recent squad announcements - and this is obviously injury enforced as well while so many countries who do qualify for tournaments have players just as bad, but some of the rumours of call-ups are really getting desperate here :lol:

6 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Do you think that Andy Robertson or Ryan Fraser or James forrest or John Mcginn or any number of players. Would not improve the number and quality of chances if they played for Dundee utd. Is that what you think?

Dundee utd play different games against different teams to the teams Scotland play. Do you know that?

If you put those players in a Scottish Championship game they'd create better chances than the Dundee United squad, but they'll be playing against better opposition. 

By your logic, if you put him in the Newcastle team he'd get better chances in games against Liverpool/Man City because Newcastle are better than Dundee United?

Who is "Chris Maxwell"?
A shite Hibs goalkeeper who will be dropped within a few weeks and never seen again.

I was a wee bit concerned when I read that tweet, then I read the actual article and Clarke was basically giving vague platitudes about each player and saying they'd be in his thoughts. That puts them on a par with about 200 other players.

47 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

If you put those players in a Scottish Championship game they'd create better chances than the Dundee United squad, but they'll be playing against better opposition. 

By your logic, if you put him in the Newcastle team he'd get better chances in games against Liverpool/Man City because Newcastle are better than Dundee United?

No, you have to go back to the start of this. Shankland was getting slated because he didn't score against alloa or dunfermline or some other shite.

As if that was somehow proof he couldnt cut it at international level. And all the goals he has count for nothing because he didn't score in a particular game.

My point was if he doesn't get chances he's not going to score. And he would get better service playing for Scotland. 

No, you have to go back to the start of this. Shankland was getting slated because he didn't score against alloa or dunfermline or some other shite.
As if that was somehow proof he couldnt cut it at international level. And all the goals he has count for nothing because he didn't score in a particular game.
My point was if he doesn't get chances he's not going to score. And he would get better service playing for Scotland. 

So you are saying if shankland was up for scotland against belgium he would get better service than dundee utd against dundee?

United are favourites for the Championship and will be comfortably on top in the majority of their games this season. They'll create plenty of chances. Scotland will play a fair amount of their games with a backs-to-the wall style as we aren't good enough to go toe to toe with the big sides so our strikers will have scraps in a lot of games.

United are a much better side in their division in comparison to Scotland in the International circuit. He'll always get more chances for United.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

United are favourites for the Championship and will be comfortably on top in the majority of their games this season. They'll create plenty of chances. Scotland will play a fair amount of their games with a backs-to-the wall style as we aren't good enough to go toe to toe with the big sides so our strikers will have scraps in a lot of games.

United are a much better side in their division in comparison to Scotland in the International circuit. He'll always get more chances for United.

So to clarify, your saying because he didn't score against dunfermline he's not going to make it?

23 minutes ago, Aufc said:

So you are saying if shankland was up for scotland against belgium he would get better service than dundee utd against dundee?

No, are you saying you put your trousers on your head and your jumper on your legs and walk into town. Peeking out your flies?

No, are you saying you put your trousers on your head and your jumper on your legs and walk into town. Peeking out your flies?
I don't think I've suggested such a thing. And I wasn't one of the ones having a go at him for not scoring. My point is that he won't get as much service for Scotland as he will for United so I'm just concerned it won't work out for him as he will be living of scraps in the majority of Scotland games.

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

We also play plenty of games where we are clearly supposed to be the better side - 3 of the next 4 will be like that. If you look across the rest of the squad, it's not clear that we have a poacher in there who can get us the goals to make those games comfortable.

We also play plenty of games where we are clearly supposed to be the better side - 3 of the next 4 will be like that. If you look across the rest of the squad, it's not clear that we have a poacher in there who can get us the goals to make those games comfortable.

‘Supposed to be’ being the key words [emoji1]

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Craig

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, BingMcCrosby said:

I don't think I've suggested such a thing. And I wasn't one of the ones having a go at him for not scoring. My point is that he won't get as much service for Scotland as he will for United so I'm just concerned it won't work out for him as he will be living of scraps in the majority of Scotland games.

That was clearly addressed to someone else. You only answered because you do do that.

34 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
36 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:
That was clearly addressed to someone else. You only answered because you do do that.

You can only quote the second part in the app. It was pretty clear I was responding to your first part.

Relax, it must be hard to read thru your flies

I guess the point I am making is, people on here saying he is gash are getting shot down because he cost 20mill, plays in the EPL and has a decent goal scoring at club level. Whilst it is good to see a young Scottish lad doing ok at club level I only really care about what he does for Scotland and so far (albeit not playing in the best Scotland side) he has done hee haw.
He hasn't scored, hasn't looked like scoring, hasn't held the ball up, hasn't linked with other players, hasn't ran channels and caused defenders any problems and hasn't provided any physical presence or showed any real moments of quality.
People who are saying he is gash are basing that on a handful of performances for an utterly woeful Scotland squad, who create absolutely nothing. He quite clearly isn't gash. I'm not entirely sure what folk expect him to do with zero support whilst he farts about up top himself, completely isolated.

Scotland have a multitude of players who perform well for club but don't replicate it for country. Quite why McBurnie gets far more stick than the rest of them is beyond me.

This suggestion that we "create absolutely nothing" is nonsense. We were clearly outplayed by Russia, but still spent a decent amount of the game in their third of the pitch - particularly in the first 20 minutes and last 20 minutes. We had several counter-attacks, a reasonable number of crosses from wide areas, low balls across the box, possession 30 yards out etc, and it's McBurnie's job as the centre-forward to make the appropriate runs and get into positions to score. I'm not sure he did that well enough.

The same was true in his first start against Costa Rica, and then again in Kazakhstan, where once more we did have plenty of the ball and plenty of possession in attacking positions once we were 2-0 down.

When we're on the back foot, the job of the striker is also to link up play, and he wasn't great at that either. He was obsessed with playing little flicks around the corner and almost never just held the ball and laid it off or tried to turn his marker.

That's not me writing him off completely or anything like that, but there has been absolutely zero from him so far to suggest that he is suddenly going to become effective if we can just get an extra 10 yards up the field or whatever.