Scotland squad next month

Fleck is worth a shot. Ever since Morrison started to fade out of the picture we've really struggled for a midfielder who can put a foot on the ball and retain possession - McLean has tried to do it a wee bit but lacks proper grit, so this might force Clarke's hand a wee bit. The midfield can't be full of bull in a china shop players like McGinn and McGregor otherwise we end up with teams running over the top of us as has happened pretty much every game since McLeish took over, with the exception of maybe Albania and Cyprus.

5 hours ago, DavidMcG said:

Little quiz for you....

Which uncapped Scotland eligible player played 14 times in Ligue 1 in France last season before moving to a champions league club this season (although has been an unused sub so far in champions league group games)

Liam Henderson . O.K. ?

52 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Fleck is worth a shot. Ever since Morrison started to fade out of the picture we've really struggled for a midfielder who can put a foot on the ball and retain possession - McLean has tried to do it a wee bit but lacks proper grit, so this might force Clarke's hand a wee bit. The midfield can't be full of bull in a china shop players like McGinn and McGregor otherwise we end up with teams running over the top of us as has happened pretty much every game since McLeish took over, with the exception of maybe Albania and Cyprus.

Seconded

I dont think Devlin is that bad he's always struck me as a good all round and solid centre back with some leadership qualities and no obvious Scottish bombscare centre back ones. Injury derailed his development a bit but he should be solid enough.

And Burke...well he played in the abroad league.

I'm surprised that Devlin is apparently starting, even factoring in our lack of quality in his position. He has been poor for us for about a year now, when he has actually played. He has mostly, and deservedly, been kept out of the team by Considine, who is a better defender.

Oliver Burke and Mike Devlin apparently starting tonight. We are (more) fucked.
I expected Burke and thought Devlin might've started due to being in the original squad. He's been honking since his first Aberdeen injury, yet Clarke has had him in two squads for some reason.

I've seen very, very little of Fleck but I thought he was more of a box-to-box midfielder for Sheffield United?

42 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I'm surprised that Devlin is apparently starting, even factoring in our lack of quality in his position. He has been poor for us for about a year now, when he has actually played. He has mostly, and deservedly, been kept out of the team by Considine, who is a better defender.

That's harsh on Devlin. He was by far our best defender when he first arrived. He's been poor since he's come back from injury though. Scotland really do have a problem in centre defence at the moment.

I really think our team would have more balance without John Mcginn playing. I think he's the kind of player that looks brilliant in highlight reels and looks like he is putting in a lot of effort but he just isn't tactically disciplined enough. The amount of times he just empties centre midfield is astonishing. He's off chasing the left back or something daft and international teams just play it around him. I think we sorely need Armstrong to find more minutes so that we can depend on him to play. I would play Mctominay with mcgregor and Christie but still don't think that has the correct balance to it. Forrest and Fraser are locks out wide. As much as people moan about them we need a guy like Fletcher or Martin to play up there to help get us up the pitch. Unless you have the ability of a fully firing Griffiths which you can't not play then I think our striker should be a foil sort like Giroud was for France.

I don't even want to talk about our defence. It's borderline funny but it also isn't these guys fault. It's not Mulgrew's fault that he is still playing, it isnt the fault of just above average Scottish Premiership players like O'Donnell and Devlin that they play for the national side and I almost sympathise with them because they are so far out of their depth. 

I think our biggest problem is that to get off with a defence as bad as ours we would ideally sit in deep and break on teams to not expose them. But our central midfield (our strength in terms of personnel) is not suited to this in the slightest. 

42 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

I really think our team would have more balance without John Mcginn playing. I think he's the kind of player that looks brilliant in highlight reels and looks like he is putting in a lot of effort but he just isn't tactically disciplined enough. The amount of times he just empties centre midfield is astonishing. He's off chasing the left back or something daft and international teams just play it around him. I think we sorely need Armstrong to find more minutes so that we can depend on him to play. I would play Mctominay with mcgregor and Christie but still don't think that has the correct balance to it. Forrest and Fraser are locks out wide. As much as people moan about them we need a guy like Fletcher or Martin to play up there to help get us up the pitch. Unless you have the ability of a fully firing Griffiths which you can't not play then I think our striker should be a foil sort like Giroud was for France.

I don't even want to talk about our defence. It's borderline funny but it also isn't these guys fault. It's not Mulgrew's fault that he is still playing, it isnt the fault of just above average Scottish Premiership players like O'Donnell and Devlin that they play for the national side and I almost sympathise with them because they are so far out of their depth. 

I think our biggest problem is that to get off with a defence as bad as ours we would ideally sit in deep and break on teams to not expose them. But our central midfield (our strength in terms of personnel) is not suited to this in the slightest. 

have said the same about McGinn for ages, ive yet to see him play well for Scotland and doubt I ever will. 

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

How much of an injury does it actually take to get withdrawn from a squad?  The number of call offs we have these days is fucking laughable.

While it sounds like a typical "back in my day/players ran through walls etc" argument, it really needs asked.  Are we really to believe that, over the past year or so, we've just had that many injuries that would stop players even being called up?  Is it the players sacking it off?  Is it the clubs?  Are our medical team just shitebags?  

18 minutes ago, Greenlantern said:

With all our players fleeing the sinking ship that is Group I.

Is this not the part of the script where we typically bang out a draw in this tough away game leaving us all thinking... wtf??

A draw is no use to us. A win tonight probably still won't be enough.

13 minutes ago, forameus said:

While it sounds like a typical "back in my day/players ran through walls etc" argument, it really needs asked.  Are we really to believe that, over the past year or so, we've just had that many injuries that would stop players even being called up?  Is it the players sacking it off?  Is it the clubs?  Are our medical team just shitebags?  

I've tried to defend players in the past when they've pulled out but it's far too consistent now. Leaving the likes of Tierney and McKenna out I don't really mind, but I do wonder about the severity of some of these injuries.

McLeish managed to completely ruin the excellent team spirit which had been built up under Strachan, and that has not yet really been built back up. I'm sure that has some part to do with some of the call-offs, rightly or wrongly.

In terms of the centre-back position it really has just been bad luck though. McKenna and Souttar have had long-term injuries, and even this time around both Cooper and Hanley picked up injuries with their clubs just before the squad met up.

5 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I expected Burke and thought Devlin might've started due to being in the original squad. He's been honking since his first Aberdeen injury, yet Clarke has had him in two squads for some reason.

I've seen very, very little of Fleck but I thought he was more of a box-to-box midfielder for Sheffield United?

Yup. Was fantastic before he got injured. Deserved to play this time last year. Now he shouldn't even be in the squad.