Thomas Cook getting sevco'd

Romeo

Flights only booked for the 7th October.

What’s the deal with claiming back through travel insurance? Naively from me but I only got my insurance last week. Flights were booked about 6 months ago so would a claim still be valid?
Need to check your small print. Did you pay by credit card? You should have protection through that.

Just now, peasy23 said:
14 minutes ago, PB1994 said:
Flights only booked for the 7th October.

What’s the deal with claiming back through travel insurance? Naively from me but I only got my insurance last week. Flights were booked about 6 months ago so would a claim still be valid?

Need to check your small print. Did you pay by credit card? You should have protection through that.

I did have a look and couldn’t see anything that would suggest it would be a problem. No payed with my bank card, which in hindsight was another mistake.

Collapse confirmed by caa
Twitter awash with folk raging that the government haven't coughed up to bail them out. Apart from the obvious that it breaches EU law, throwing money into a company that has reportedly close to £2billion of debt would be pointless.

Shame for the staff, but they have been struggling for almost a decade, meanwhile the directors have been getting millions in bonuses every year.

12 minutes ago, peasy23 said:

Twitter awash with folk raging that the government haven't coughed up to bail them out. Apart from the obvious that it breaches EU law, throwing money into a company that has reportedly close to £2billion of debt would be pointless.

Shame for the staff, but they have been struggling for almost a decade, meanwhile the directors have been getting millions in bonuses every year.

I feel for the good people that will have their holidays ruined but given that a huge amount of gammons use Thomas Cook this will send more than a few into a hilarious heads gone rage.

Not even any attempt at admin, straight into compulsory liquidation. Wonder if we might see any legal action that they have been trading while insolvent?Screenshot_20190923-023308_Chrome.thumb.jpeg.c71a27012bd0782a03adb61283b84ecf.jpeg
The suddenness of the collapse reminds me of former Canadian tour operator Jetsgo that suddenly collapsed without warning to the public in 2005. They were still taking bookings the night before they went tits up

The suddenness of the collapse reminds me of former Canadian tour operator Jetsgo that suddenly collapsed without warning to the public in 2005. They were still taking bookings the night before they went tits up
I tried searching on the Thomas Cook website just after midnight and it was still working then.

Miami booked for 24th - £4200 all in which is same as i paid for inital flights
Bit of work and jiggery pokey ahead today

Im in Orlando just now with Virgin Holidays. Lots of panicked folks around. Ive done the Orlando to Miami drive and its a doddle down the turnpike and didnt take me 4 hours. Did you not have a look at BA Flights via tampa? Its only a 45 min drive and a very quiet airport dont think they fly on a tuesday though. The flight to miami is usually an a380 which is nice.
Hope your credit card covers the original flights, weather is fantastic here, parks very quiet and im sure you’ll have a brilliant time, hope you all enjoy yourselves.

5 hours ago, peasy23 said:

My mother and father in law are due back from Zakynthos tomorrow morning.

Looks like they'll be ok with replacement flights laid on for the same times. 

https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/customers/if-you-are-currently-abroad/guidance-by-destination/greece/zakynthos-zth/23-september/

Edited by welshbairn

31 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Im in Orlando just now with Virgin Holidays. Lots of panicked folks around. Ive done the Orlando to Miami drive and its a doddle down the turnpike and didnt take me 4 hours. Did you not have a look at BA Flights via tampa? Its only a 45 min drive and a very quiet airport dont think they fly on a tuesday though. The flight to miami is usually an a380 which is nice.
Hope your credit card covers the original flights, weather is fantastic here, parks very quiet and im sure you’ll have a brilliant time, hope you all enjoy yourselves.

Yeah. I've been studying this for a few days now and think I Looked at just about every angle, even Javksonville and Atlanta and this was probably the best all round in terms of stopover times, price and locality. Its only 2 hours connecting at Heathrow each time. 

Credit card team at TSB already confirmed yesterday that in event of insolvency, they'd cover initial purchase which is fine. Peace of mind on that front. 

I've done Orlando to Key West and back through the everglades last year without so much as hitting a toll road despite buying a sun pass. Might just head up the I95 and then onto the 192 at Melbourne. That's why I've factored it as 4 hours. 

Edited by djchapsticks

Looks like they'll be ok with replacement flights laid on for the same times. 
https://thomascook.caa.co.uk/customers/if-you-are-currently-abroad/guidance-by-destination/greece/zakynthos-zth/23-september/

They've messaged to say they are at the airport checking in, flight should be going at the same time, as far as I can make it it's an Allegro plane they are coming home on.