Thomas Cook getting sevco'd

Romeo

4 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Not even any attempt at admin, straight into compulsory liquidation. Wonder if we might see any legal action that they have been trading while insolvent?Screenshot_20190923-023308_Chrome.jpeg

Wow! Straight to a compulsory liquidation is much worse than Sevco! Didn't expect such a disastrous collapse. 

The problems must have been much more serious than previously thought. We will have to wait for further announcements and explanations. There may be official investigations.

I feel truly sorry for the employees who have lost their jobs and will be devastated.

Miami booked for 24th - £4200 all in which is same as i paid for inital flights

Bit of work and jiggery pokey ahead today

Managed to book an alternative holiday to Crete on the same dates. Will probably lose my airport car parking as I'm flying from a different airport plus it's £150 per head more expensive.

Just felt we had to book something else now before the prices get hiked.

Booked up for Florida next June with them to take the kids to Disney(through a 3rd party travel agent) The main issue for us and re-booking is the time it will take for the money paid so far to be reclaimed.

Still that’s a minor inconvenience compared to those that have lost their livelihood.

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Managed to book an alternative holiday to Crete oh the same dates. Will probably lose my airport car parking as I'm flying from a different airport plus it's £150 per head more expensive.

Just felt we had to book something else now before the prices get hiked.

IIRC You were booked to go to Tunisia. TUI/First Choice had some good deals to Tunisia last night.

Enjoy Crete. I've always wanted to go there. 

Edited by Bishop Briggs

We’re due to fly back a week today, glad it’s not in the next couple of days as it’s likely to be chaotic.

The site set up by the CAA seems to be well organised.  Apparently Thomas Cook owns nine hotels and the people in these are getting booted out.

As to the staff issue, the demand for package holidays is not suddenly going to collapse.  Hopefully other operators will simply expand to fill the breach and take on staff accordingly.  

Mr Romeo is away to Tenerife with her daft pals in November. They have booked separate flights and hotels so might be forced to find alternatives.
Anybody else affected by potential sevcoing of T. Cook?

Yup! We’re booked up for Majorca next summer. ATOL protected though so will get a refund.

1 hour ago, Adolfo Rios said:

Booked up for Florida next June with them to take the kids to Disney(through a 3rd party travel agent) The main issue for us and re-booking is the time it will take for the money paid so far to be reclaimed.

Still that’s a minor inconvenience compared to those that have lost their livelihood.

Agreed, i'm not even angry, it's a genuine sadness for such a massive loss of employment when times are already fucking hard. I'm just in total business mode today to get things pushed through with as little fuss as possible as times a bit against me now - i was more agitated at the car hire guy who updated my booking for £56 more and changed neither the date nor the pickup airport. :lol: 

I've been up since 5am yesterday save for about 90 minutes of dozing. I'm going to crash hard at one point today.

Edited by djchapsticks

57 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We’re due to fly back a week today, glad it’s not in the next couple of days as it’s likely to be chaotic.

The site set up by the CAA seems to be well organised.  Apparently Thomas Cook owns nine hotels and the people in these are getting booted out.

As to the staff issue, the demand for package holidays is not suddenly going to collapse.  Hopefully other operators will simply expand to fill the breach and take on staff accordingly.  

Wouldn't bet on it. There was over-capacity in the package market which has depressed prices in recent years. 

There will be demand for airline's slots at the major airports but they could go to non-package, i.e. scheduled, airlines to serve other destinations. 

Jet2 may be able to start up at Gatwick, Stansted and other southern airports - if they can get the slots and planes at affordable prices. 

The reality is that the TUI-Thomas Cook business model is out-dated. One brand High Street shops are not viable in the internet age.

Edited by Bishop Briggs

Mrs Romeo and her mates trying to arrange other flights now, obviously jumped up in price. But i'd pay anything for a 5 day empty.

eta All news channels prowling airports looking for people in tears to stick on the telly.

eta v 2.0 That's her and her mates booked alternative flights from Prestwick for about £100 more than their original flights.

Party at Romeos.

Hope everyone else gets refunds or other stuff sorted.

Edited by Romeo

Dominican for us too. Should have been flying out this Friday. First holiday in 6 years. Knew it was too good to be true.
Still, first world problems. We're ATOL protected and still have jobs to go back to.
Shit timing though. Feeling just a little bit older, more bitter and grumpier
(not expecting any sympathy)

We’re going to the Dominican next June. Thankfully only paid the Deposit and £300 extra so far. Was just to pay the rest of it off next Friday when we got paid.

We’re Atol protected thankfully, so we’ll get it back through that. not paid it on the credit cards stupidly as we’re trying to rely less on them

We’re just waiting for the bad news, then we’ll probably end up booking Turkey or something next.

53 minutes ago, Romeo said:

eta All news channels prowling airports looking for people in tears to stick on the telly.

I got this charmer yesterday who asked me to DM him. I just dingied him after his final comment as he probably got what he wanted from elsewhere but safe to say, he's a fucking leech. 

Screenshot_20190922-205303.thumb.jpg.6a012b3af2fc5aa167a24163cbfb3444.jpg

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I got this charmer yesterday who asked me to DM him. I just dingied him after his final comment as he probably got what he wanted from elsewhere but safe to say, he's a fucking leech. 

Screenshot_20190922-205303.thumb.jpg.6a012b3af2fc5aa167a24163cbfb3444.jpg

Good for you, I notice the clown didn't take the hint.

"Trying to get people lined up"

arsehole

Just now, resk said:
2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:
BIGGIST PIECETIME REPATRIATION
DUNKIRKSPIRIT 

Fair chance Bojo is going to show up in one of the repatriation planes dressed in full WW2 RAF pilot's uniform.

Only one man for this job.

Image result for mark francois army

1 hour ago, Bishop Briggs said:

Wouldn't bet on it. There was over-capacity in the package market which has depressed prices in recent years. 

There will be demand for airline's slots at the major airports but they could go to non-package, i.e. scheduled, airlines to serve other destinations. 

Jet2 may be able to start up at Gatwick, Stansted and other southern airports - if they can get the slots and planes at affordable prices. 

The reality is that the TUI-Thomas Cook business model is out-dated. One brand High Street shops are not viable in the internet age.

Four million people travelled with Thomas Cook last year, the idea that because they have collapsed then four million less people will go on holiday is nonsense.