Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Don't agree, Doolan would undoubtedly have been introduced under McCall and also I didn't hear anyone moaning about the substitution at the time.

You also fail to mention the two excellent strikes from Kelly which looked goal bound but for excellent saves from their keeper.

It could easily have been a victory today and it most certainly should have been a point, however we played fine as far as I was concerned and sometimes you just need to accept that you'll lose games in the manner which we did. That's life..........

Doolan was introduced  by McCall because he Moore was injured, now he is back, he still isn't getting a kick. 

Ross Doohan made some good saves from Kevin Nisbet and from when we made it 2-1. 

1 minute ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Tell me why?

Struggling to find the energy to be perfectly honest.  If that ridiculous summary is how you saw the game, so be it.  I’m not convinced Stewart is the right choice, but I haven’t seen anything in his 3 games in charge to suggest he isn’t a viable option.  

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

Struggling to find the energy to be perfectly honest.  If that ridiculous summary is how you saw the game, so be it.  I’m not convinced Stewart is the right choice, but I haven’t seen anything in his 3 games in charge to suggest he isn’t a viable option.  

So he’s overseen 2/3 of our league defeats yet you think he is a viable option? Dearie me. 

Just now, HMIP said:

1 sub being used today (again) despite having options on the bench. 

I thought we played well going forward in the 2nd half, but we look weak at the back 

5 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

So he’s overseen 2/3 of our league defeats yet you think he is a viable option? Dearie me. 

2/3 of defeats that we did not deserve, if we took our chances against Inverness early on we would have won that game , today he picked the best team possible , his only mistakes today were putting on Doolan with 15 to go rather than Moore or McGuffie ( I bet McCall would have put him on also )  and waiting 15 minutes more than was needed to replace McCowan Who was have a howler in second half , the above does not mean I am advocating Stewart for the job , I would like to see some new blood introduced , but would also give Stewart my support if he got it as there would be no point moaning about it as it would do nothing to change the appointment 

Edited by Robbo63

2 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

2/3 of defeats that we did not deserve, if we took our chances against Inverness early on we would have won that game , today he picked the best team possible , his only mistakes today were putting on Doolan with 15 to go rather than Moore or McGuffie ( I bet McCall would have put him on also )  and waiting 15 minutes more than was needed to replace McCowan Who was have a howler in second half 

Stewart is a good coach but never a manager. If he gets the job it will be the cheap and easy option for Cameron and one that confirms we have no ambition of ever progressing to the next level. A lot of people I spoke to today shared that view. 

2 minutes ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

1 sub being used today (again) despite having options on the bench. 

I thought we played well going forward in the 2nd half, but we look weak at the back 

McGuffie is generally powder puff and Moore is only coming back to fitness after long term injury.  Doolan has been a disappointment, but it was hardly an outrageous decision to bring him on.  I think he has just become a scapegoat for McCall.  We have 2 centre backs injured and Geggan had to go into midfield at half time, so not entirely sure what other options were available defensively.  I was a bit disappointed with Roscoe - he definitely has potential but seems to be riding the same roller coaster of form that defined Michael Rose for his first season and a half - we can only hope he settles down as it doesn’t sound like Bell or Adams will be back any time soon.

Those defeats aren’t the reason I wouldn’t have him in charge tbh. I don’t think there’s a whole lot he could’ve done. I don’t think bringing Doolan on was a smart move but maybe Moore and McGuffie aren’t 100%.

I just don’t see Sandy Stewart working out in the long term. I can understand the players wanting him appointed but how many of them will be here next season. He’s got no track record to speak of in terms of recruitment and being able to do so on a tight budget is a must for our job.

All the signs point to Darren Young for me. He’s young, ambitious, has done great work on a limited budget and has shown he can get results against full time sides (albeit some were cup results). IMO if it was SS or another out of work manager then they would just be announced on Monday or even tomorrow. Waiting a couple of days allows them to sort out the compensation with East Fife before we announce it. This could be way off but for me it makes sense. I hope Stewart stays on as a coach though as there’s no doubt he’s a talented one.

28 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Don't agree, Doolan would undoubtedly have been introduced under McCall and also I didn't hear anyone moaning about the substitution at the time.

You also fail to mention the two excellent strikes from Kelly which looked goal bound but for excellent saves from their keeper.

It could easily have been a victory today and it most certainly should have been a point, however we played fine as far as I was concerned and sometimes you just need to accept that you'll lose games in the manner which we did. That's life..........

Heres where we differ. Doolan would undoubtedly have been introduced by McCall (as they are pals). However, that doesnt mean it was the right call.

McCall is not the benchmark, call me greedy but I want a better manager.

Under McCall we have had a couple of horrible traits:

Numerous injuries (he loved an injury prone player)

2nd Half Season collapses

I want a manager who can correct that. My issue with Sandy is he is just like McCall but that is actually negative for me! 

1 minute ago, HMIP said:

McGuffie is generally powder puff and Moore is only coming back to fitness after long term injury.  Doolan has been a disappointment, but it was hardly an outrageous decision to bring him on.  I think he has just become a scapegoat for McCall.  We have 2 centre backs injured and Geggan had to go into midfield at half time, so not entirely sure what other options were available defensively.  I was a bit disappointed with Roscoe - he definitely has potential but seems to be riding the same roller coaster of form that defined Michael Rose for his first season and a half - we can only hope he settles down as it doesn’t sound like Bell or Adams will be back any time soon.

To be fair, i never mentioned any defensive options. Moore has been in our bench for about 3/4 weeks. I wasn't expecting for Moore to go in straight away but i was expecting him to be playing at least 20 minutes by now. McGuffie could've been a better option than Mccowan as i thought he was poor today. I do agree with Roscoe's performances. 

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Heres where we differ. Doolan would undoubtedly have been introduced by McCall (as they are pals). However, that doesnt mean it was the right call.

McCall is not the benchmark, call me greedy but I want a better manager.

Under McCall we have had a couple of horrible traits:

Numerous injuries (he loved an injury prone player)

2nd Half Season collapses

I want a manager who can correct that. My issue with Sandy is he is just like McCall but that is actually negative for me! 

We're going to lose games and have off days with whoever we bring in, call me a pessimist but this season and parts of last are the most I've enjoyed watching Ayr for nearly 20 years So honestly I'm quite happy if we "continue" as we are because I fear the only way from here is most likely down in terms of style, entertainment and quality of football...........

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Stewart is a good coach but never a manager. If he gets the job it will be the cheap and easy option for Cameron and one that confirms we have no ambition of ever progressing to the next level. A lot of people I spoke to today shared that view. 

I agree on the coaching side of Stewart’s experience, not convinced he will be the top man , what I can say is it the appointment will not be the cheapest option , there is a salary available which is competitive and open to all candidates , think the last 6 were aware of the ceiling and it seems not to have put any of them off taking the job 

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

All the signs point to Darren Young for me. He’s young, ambitious, has done great work on a limited budget and has shown he can get results against full time sides (albeit some were cup results). IMO if it was SS or another out of work manager then they would just be announced on Monday or even tomorrow. Waiting a couple of days allows them to sort out the compensation with East Fife before we announce it. This could be way off but for me it makes sense. I hope Stewart stays on as a coach though as there’s no doubt he’s a talented one.

I'm starting to come round to this view but its not without risk. Unless there is an off the wall appointment.

1 minute ago, WATTOO said:

We're going to lose games and have off days with whoever we bring in, call me a pessimist but this season and parts of last are the most I've enjoyed watching Ayr for nearly 20 years So honestly I'm quite happy if we "continue" as we are because I fear the only way from here is most likely down in terms of style, entertainment and quality of football...........

I know what you are saying. We've been spoiled with some of the attacking play. This season has been even better than last thus far.

With the players we have I think any new manager will utilise them in the same way. They would be mad to mix it up given how we are playing.

That being said there are areas to improve upon. The half season collapse being my primary concern.

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I'm starting to come round to this view but its not without risk. Unless there is an off the wall appointment.

I know what you are saying. We've been spoiled with some of the attacking play. This season has been even better than last thus far.

With the players we have I think any new manager will utilise them in the same way. They would be mad to mix it up given how we are playing.

That being said there are areas to improve upon. The half season collapse being my primary concern.

We could end up with Zidane at this rate as he must be heading for the buroo !!

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Will Tuesday not be the players day off because of the game on Friday, usually it's a Wednesday I think. Still  think it'll be McIntyre, can't see Lachlan going for something completely different from McCall.

I think players might get Monday off , then work 3 days with management team to get ready for Friday 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Were the players trying today ?

Did we have a game plan ?

Did we play and at least try to play good football ?

Were we unlucky to leave EEP empty handed ?

I was at the game and would answer YES to each and every question, as such, what more could Stewart have done ???

1 hour ago, THEHonestman1910 said:

Not to play Doolan as we've got Moore and McGuffie

We had no defensive structure everytime they attacked they looked like scoring 

The first half flattered us and we could've been 3 down before we scored

We deserved what we got today. 

Exactly that. Same v ICT putting Doolan on and leaving Moore on the bench. Doolan is worse than playing a man down 

33 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

I agree on the coaching side of Stewart’s experience, not convinced he will be the top man , what I can say is it the appointment will not be the cheapest option , there is a salary available which is competitive and open to all candidates , think the last 6 were aware of the ceiling and it seems not to have put any of them off taking the job 

There shouldn’t be ceiling, we should be aiming for promotion this season. This league is awful.