Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

As mentioned previously, my biggest worry is that whoever comes in decides that playing with two skillful wide players is not the way to go and as such we end up sacrificing one of McCowan, Forrest or even Moffat to stick an extra holding type player in the middle of the park. This could be along the lines of an Adams or Bell when fit and try to be more solid and grind out results rather than out passing and out playing teams which we are doing at the moment.

In fairness I do get the point with Doolan as I reckon Moore would be a far better fit to our style of play this season. The only thing I would say is that prior to Doolan coming on we had four or five excellent crosses into the box which were just screaming out for someone like a Doolan to arrive at the back post for a tap in but sadly he wasn't on the pitch at that point and whether he'd have got there or not we'll never ever know............

Edited by WATTOO

I don't think anyone coming in will mix it up too much until the summer. They'd be mad even to try unless these two defeats turn into a bad run.

It also sounds like Doolan might be going to Partick as a coach in January according to the Thistle thread. That will hopefully free up funds for the new manager to bring in at least 1 player in January.

As mentioned previously, my biggest worry is that whoever comes in decides that playing with two skillful wide players is not the way to go and as such we end up sacrificing one of McCowan, Forrest or even Moffat to stick an extra holding type player in the middle of the park. This could be along the lines of an Adams or Bell when fit and try to be more solid and grind out results rather than out passing and out playing teams which we are doing at the moment.
In fairness I do get the point with Doolan as I reckon Moore would be a far better fit to our style of play this season. The only thing I would say is that prior to Doolan coming on we had four or five excellent crosses into the box which were just screaming out for someone like a Doolan to arrive at the back post for a tap in but sadly he wasn't on the pitch at that point and whether he'd have got there or not we'll never ever know............
If anyone comes in and drops Forrest or try's to change his position he doesn't deserve to be a manager! The way he's playing at the moment is outstanding and I really think his injury last season had more impact than Shankland's and we would have finished at least 2nd if he hadn't been out.

Just now, Superhursy7 said:

If anyone comes in and drops Forrest or try's to change his position he doesn't deserve to be a manager! The way he's playing at the moment is outstanding and I really think his injury last season had more impact than Shankland's and we would have finished at least 2nd if he hadn't been out.

100%. The new managers priority has to be getting Forrest signed up for next year.

3 minutes ago, Superhursy7 said:
10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Totally agree with this, but it's more our style I'm worried about changing. Realistically only an idiot would drop Forrest but I could see the likes of McCowan being sacrificed and used as an impact sub by certain Managers as they'd probably feel we're too open the way we play.

Hopefully my worries are unfounded !!

2 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Can someone post Lachlan's criteria again?

I'm not convinced McIntyre ticks any of the boxes. Particularly bringing through young players. He also seems to be loathed by fans at every club he has managed.

Obviously, if he is the chosen one I'll get behind him but I will have reservations. 

He brought Ian McShane through with us. Although generally that may be an exception.

You will get plenty of Queens fans along to tell you how much they hated him but for me he did a tremendous job with us.

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Hasn’t McIntyre been sacked at every club he’s been at?

Well he wasnt sacked by us. Headhunted by Ross County.

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If it is indeed McIntyre and it’s looking pretty likely then I hope it is Billy Dodds as his assistant as that’s who he works best with. 

You are unlikely to get Dodds as a formal assistant. He wont give up his media work without a significant salary. He only formally worked as an assistant on big wages at Dundee (under Chisholm) and County. Elsewhere he generally comes in as a coach and works on a voluntary basis through the week but isnt present on match days.  To be fair Billy Dodds is a good guy and by all accounts a really good coach. I know Dobbie spoke highly of working with him as a strikers coach in his first spell with us.

13 hours ago, JCman said:

we did play well today and were worth a point at least. BUT,  we failed to clear our lines for two of the goals. We missed chances second half and their goalie made a couple of excellent saves. (as did ours) So we weren't 'unlucky' We lost because we made mistakes.. 

We are playing some lovely entertaining football, but are not clinical with our finishing. Had some great balls to the back post but no one coming in to finish them off. We won well against Arbroath and Alloa, but should have won by more goals than we did. We've lost our last two, scored 2 conceded 5.   There isn't much tweaking to be done to make us an even  better side.

The players are good enough. We pass the ball better than any other team, we just need to be ruthless in finishing. If we do that, I'm happy with leaking a goal or two. 

We had 2 finishers starting on the bench yesterday.

5 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

We had 2 finishers starting on the bench yesterday.

The issue with those 2 (assuming Moore and Doolan).

They need to play through the middle which means dropping Moffat or moving Moffat right and dropping McCowan. I'm not even considering dropping Forrest.

The issue then is you will be looking to feed them from balls out wide, you won't be playing balls through the middle as neither have great technical ability (in terms of intricate passing in the opposition box).  At which point you'd probably be better playing 442.

I don't think a 433 is workable with Moore or Doolan tbh. Maybe Moore with his speed but certainly not for Doolan.

Edited by Trogdor

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Hasn’t McIntyre been sacked at every club he’s been at?

Not from QoTS. 

2 hours ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If it is indeed McIntyre and it’s looking pretty likely then I hope it is Billy Dodds as his assistant as that’s who he works best with. 

Worked great with McCabe at us. 

At us he played with wingers, was often criticised for sticking with that too much. 

I have heard Dodds be very polite about Ayr, I think he was in the youth set-up before going to Chelsea.

We need someone to do what Owen Coyle did at Burnley and push the club a little further. Sheerin is an interesting one, fairly ordinary time as manager of Arbroath but has had a hand in developing some of our most valuable talent over the last couple of years. 

14 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The issue with those 2 (assuming Moore and Doolan).

They need to play through the middle which means dropping Moffat or moving Moffat right and dropping McCowan. I'm not even considering dropping Forrest.

The issue then is you will be looking to feed them from balls out wide, you won't be playing balls through the middle as neither have great technical ability (in terms of intricate passing in the opposition box).  At which point you'd probably be better playing 442.

I don't think a 433 is workable with Moore or Doolan tbh. Maybe Moore with his speed but certainly not for Doolan.

You could play one of them up front but get Moffat to play in behind the striker to link up from midfield in the areas he so good at finding in a sort of 4231 formation. This would also allow us to keep the width in the team.

Interesting to see how the new manager sees things going forward and whether we see a general upturn in the likes of set pieces, which obviously requires time spent in training.

47 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

I don't think anyone coming in will mix it up too much until the summer. They'd be mad even to try unless these two defeats turn into a bad run.

It also sounds like Doolan might be going to Partick as a coach in January according to the Thistle thread. That will hopefully free up funds for the new manager to bring in at least 1 player in January.

If Doolan is angling for a Partick return the now then he should be punted immediately and made to pay back all wages.