Ayr United’s Next Permanent Manager

2 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

Yes definitely away , turned down for  managers job and decided to leave , was not manager material but very good coach , 

Cheers Robbo.

18 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

We have a General Manager and hands on board members running the club day to day , McCall did more than he needed to , some very experienced players on the squad that can help with training , due to Marks injury don’t think he will have boots on next couple of games , that will give time for him and assistant to settle in 

It’s good to hear there is some hands on help from the board as in the past I didn’t think they were always too involved. Whilst they may well have blown the other candidates away with their football knowledge it’s certainly looking like the board have chosen one of the most cost effective options

Certainly looks like a big change in strategy for the club. One of McCalls strengths was being able to find players and improve them. Many of these were young players who had lost their way at big clubs and then got their careers back on track. With project brave costing a fortune I guess it’s quite right that Ayr must look to bring through there own youth players to make it pay. I suppose the question is around whether our youth teams are good enough to keep a steady stream of players coming through that end up making it. Don’t know too much about the youth set up tbh but I thought a lot of the bigger teams still used their cash to sign the best and keep them until a certain age. It was at this point many of them then dropped back down the leagues and started getting a game 

Only one real way to find out if our youth players are good enough. It is one area Mark Kerr can improve on from McCall who was fine at developing players released from bigger clubs but struggled when it came to those coming through our academy. Crawford, Forrest and McGuffie all had spells where it looked like they had went backwards under his management. Others such as McCracken, Wardrope, Faulds and Hilton never got enough of a chance to play before moving on. Also last season he seemed reluctant to play McCowan, who didn’t suddenly improve in April, and Ecrepont who didn’t look out of place down at Wrexham.

21 minutes ago, GaryMc93 said:

Only one real way to find out if our youth players are good enough. It is one area Mark Kerr can improve on from McCall who was fine at developing players released from bigger clubs but struggled when it came to those coming through our academy. Crawford, Forrest and McGuffie all had spells where it looked like they had went backwards under his management. Others such as McCracken, Wardrope, Faulds and Hilton never got enough of a chance to play before moving on. Also last season he seemed reluctant to play McCowan, who didn’t suddenly improve in April, and Ecrepont who didn’t look out of place down at Wrexham.

Given that McCracken, Wardrope and Faulds are now down playing in the juniors I’d suggest McCall for it spot on with them. 

13 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Given that McCracken, Wardrope and Faulds are now down playing in the juniors I’d suggest McCall for it spot on with them. 

Some players can benefit from leaving a club and developing elsewhere. 

Arron Muirhead, Craig Conway, Jackson Longridge and Andy Robertson left their respective clubs at youth level after being deemed not being ready for senior football. They developed elsewhere and did alright.

Being released is a temporary setback. It's down to the player ultimately, they'll find their own level due to their talent, application and attitude. (Probably in that order.)

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

When all 3 were released McCall said each time that they were capable of playing senior football, just obviously not for us, which is why I highlighted them rather than a player such as Muir or Waite.

As for the decision to drop to the juniors that seems to be down to the imaginary barrier that prohibits them from playing for a team without a KA postcode.

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

That partly comes from all of those players playing almost all their first team football in the juniors away from the eyes of those who may want to sign them 

Remember when McCall left it was okay because it was really Stewart who was the string puller. Now he's away.
Time will tell if that has any impact... Really feel as if we need to get off to a good start with Kerr on Friday night by winning. If we don't that'll be three defeats in a row and everyone will start jumping on the "wheels have fallen off" bandwagon.

Remember when McCall left it was okay because it was really Stewart who was the string puller. Now he's away.
That's the element that scares me.

I genuinely thought sandy and him would've worked out a deal beforehand where they wish each other well and then promise to work under whoever got it.

I genuinely thought sandy and him would've worked out a deal beforehand where they wish each other well and then promise to work under whoever got it.

I mean Kerr did say to Stewart that he would back him as assistant in the interim and that would most likely have continued if he got it permanently. I don’t see why Stewart doesn’t hang around for now as he’s not going to be inundated with managerial offers anytime soon.

It’s crucial that Kerr is allowed to work with who he wants though. I, like others, think it’d be a good move to bring in an experienced head like Houston or similar to guide in some areas he won’t have dealt with before. But if he doesn’t want that then so be it. I still think an experienced coach will join at some point.

Doolan out to Partick, Lee Miller in once the window opens?

Still agree I'd like to see some experience in as well though.  I'm quite excited by this appointment in the longer term but worry a wee bit about the period from now until January.  Really hope we can get a couple (or at least one) positive result between Friday and Tuesday  

I mean Kerr did say to Stewart that he would back him as assistant in the interim and that would most likely have continued if he got it permanently. I don’t see why Stewart doesn’t hang around for now as he’s not going to be inundated with managerial offers anytime soon.

It’s crucial that Kerr is allowed to work with who he wants though. I, like others, think it’d be a good move to bring in an experienced head like Houston or similar to guide in some areas he won’t have dealt with before. But if he doesn’t want that then so be it. I still think an experienced coach will join at some point.
I was hoping for a team ethos of coaching, building on what we had.

Now we've got Kerr and whoever his people end up being.

Obviously I hope it works but the team that got us into this position, playing this well, is now completely gone.

Were we all just saying it's ok McCall just smokes fags and wears mismatched tracksuits and does nothing else to make us feel better about him leaving? (me included) I'm sorry Sandy has left but he's obviously disappointed that he didn't get the job but the tactical stuff against both ICT and the pars was not good enough the wrong sub was put on and not changed early enough and maybe that's why he's only been a coach or assistant for the last 15 or so years. A new start with more modern anylitical training, scouting and tactics may not be a bad thing.

9 hours ago, pandarilla said:

One did and the other took the huff