St Johnstone v Motherwell Sat 28th Sept 3pm

21 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Everyone could see it, Kerr wasn't any better tbf but aye the distribution was poor.

I'm going to be fair here, but it looked to me on a couple of occasions that he was frustrated because he had time and space and was looking for some movement in front of him, but he didn't think he was getting any. I suspect that's why there were so many balls back to Zander (whose distribution was poor). 

With Motherwell only having one up front who put zero pressure on our keeper when he had ball in hand, and failed to cut off either of the CB routes it seemed that Gordon got a lot of the ball today, more than usual IMO. 

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

By main striker, do you mean only striker? It’s blindingly obvious that whichever striker plays is horrendously isolated, especially at home. Ronaldo would struggle to score in this St Johnstone shape. 

You can swear all you like, you’re still being ridiculously hyperbolic about a perfectly valid suggestion as usual.

Callum Hendry has more goals than Kane, hes likely been involved in more wins too, from far less minutes, in the last 9 months.

I dont see any benefit at all to Kane. He has some good days, but he never has two in a row, and never goes on a run of games scoring either. It feels pointless persisting with him.

4 minutes ago, ali_91 said:

Biggie and Ludo are both ridiculously bad posters, as is this Ross fella. Think you’ll be out of the top three unfortunately mate. Still a terrible poster though, so don’t feel too down x

It's OK mate I don't take it personally. For what it's worth you are the 4th worst Saintees poster and there are only 3. x

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hes been our main striker for the best part of 8 months and scored about 3 goals. You can claim that doesnt matter, but we've only won five games in that time, so it clearly fucking does.

He played great against Hibs though, you know, that game where he played as a main striker and, yet again, didnt even have a shot on target.

You've got to have a system.

1837983760_HarryHill.jpg.ac02e7c4a62d505449e42ab724c56fb6.jpg

I think it's a given that every manager in the league will instruct their teams to try and force the ball through Gordon (a right-footed player on the left) if we try and move the ball from the back. It's something Saints need to work around. 

Poor from Ralston at the goal, switches off whilst Cole is alert to the second ball. Losing goals from set pieces is an occupational hazard but don't make it so so easy. 

Whatever the arguments about Chris Kane or whoever else, if the manager goes with the same system again when Accies visit and we see a similar performance, then questions will rightly be asked. 

Most of us walking out the ground today felt that we didn't deserve to win that (but were happy that we did obv.). We were a couple of levels below the performance from last week's loss but somehow came out with 3 points and a clean sheet.

I personally didn't think St Johnstone looked a bad team - clearly short of confidence and a bit toothless - but not relegation fodder to my eyes. It felt like Saints had most of the ball as we really gave away possession way too much today (I was covering my eyes every time Hartley was lining up a pass from the back) - but we created the best chances of the first half and really should have been 2 up at the break.

One positive thing about this season is that goals are being spread around nicely and we are not relying on any one of our new players to carry us in that regard. Cole looks like he is getting better in his general play and looks really promising - obviously he's got a lot to prove with his finishing after that mental sitter today. Hopefully the tap in that he did score will help his confidence.

Donnelly getting sent off (assuming the Linesman got it right) was fucking mental - there was no need to get involved at that point in the game. Overall we had some pretty poor performances (Tait was worryingly pish today) - only Campbell, Gallacher, Gillespie and Cole got pass marks today I think - so all the more remarkable that we won (thanks to a good save/pish penalty combo).

Averaging about 2 points a game is good going - gives us something to build on but we need to be better against other Saints next week at Fir Park...

Both sides let the opposition CB have the ball. 

Motherwell had Hartley, who was able thump it up to Scott, who dominated Tanser, or play a ball into Polworth who was breaking between lines.

What does Gordon see when he looks up? 

Excellent result and up to third in the table. Not many would have seen that one coming but we'll take it all the same and hopefully we can use home advantage properly next week and get a win over St.Mirren and that would set us up perfect going into the international break with a home game against Aberdeen when we return.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Motherwell had Hartley, who was able thump it up to Scott, who dominated Tanser, or play a ball into Polworth who was breaking between lines.

What game were you watching? He most certainly did not dominate Tanser. 

Seen the Donnelly incident on Alba. At the game I assumed it was a tangle of legs and an accidental stamp but nope. Donnelly not only intentionally stamped on Kane he also initially took him down with a shoulder/elbow charge. Absolutely mental. Will be at least a 3 game ban.

There weren't a lot of great or even good performances from Motherwell players today. Mark Gillespie was clearly the standout not only for the penalty save (never a pen btw) but another 4 or 5 good saves and he came for everything he could.

Thank god Cole actually got the winner today or that miss would haunt him. But stroking one in and Stevie May having his own horrific miss/dive will take the edge off. Still the worst miss I have ever seen... maybe Bob McHugh vs Hibs but he also got the winner that day.

38 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

I'm going to be fair here, but it looked to me on a couple of occasions that he was frustrated because he had time and space and was looking for some movement in front of him, but he didn't think he was getting any. I suspect that's why there were so many balls back to Zander (whose distribution was poor). 

With Motherwell only having one up front who put zero pressure on our keeper when he had ball in hand, and failed to cut off either of the CB routes it seemed that Gordon got a lot of the ball today, more than usual IMO. 

Of course he did, wrong footed, give him the ball, he'll make more errors. Good plan by Motherwell. Put golden boy on that side see how he gets on.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I liked it much better when we were going long from goal kicks to Scott with Cole looking for the flick on and Campbell/Grimmy looking to win any messy second ball.

Hartley put maybe every fifth long ball on target. It was not a good day for anyone trying to play the ball out from the back.

12 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Every time they pung a long diagonal to him, Scott won the ball. Sometimes he was even able to bring the ball down and lay it off. 

That's what I seen. They moved Scott away from that wing eventually but that tactic consistently worked for them when they tried it.

11 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

I was going to make the same point. By and large Tanser had a good game. Considering his age and relative inexperience, I thought Ralston did too (a couple of clear errors aside). Still not convinced by his crossing and that's something we're missing from Foster. 

On another point I have to say I didn't see Motherwell forcing the keeper to feed the ball to Liam, if anything he was hanging about between the channels fairly ineffectually.