Raith Rovers vs Falkirk - 5th October

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-fc/happy-memories-but-a-noisy-reception-at-raith-rovers-for-falkirk-boss-ray-mckinnon-1-5016923

I see the Great Raymondo claiming most our squad has been together for over a year. Benedictus, Davidson and Gullan (who is a loanee) the only players who finished last season with us likely to play on Saturday.

He also says we’d built a good team that could’ve gone up in his season here, which is entirely true. If you join the dots Ray, you’ll see that you hooring yourself out to Dundee United might’ve helped put a bit of a dampener on that...

3 minutes ago, Paco said:

https://www.falkirkherald.co.uk/sport/football/falkirk-fc/happy-memories-but-a-noisy-reception-at-raith-rovers-for-falkirk-boss-ray-mckinnon-1-5016923

I see the Great Raymondo claiming most our squad has been together for over a year. Benedictus, Davidson and Gullan (who is a loanee) the only players who finished last season with us likely to play on Saturday.

He also says we’d built a good team that could’ve gone up in his season here, which is entirely true. If you join the dots Ray, you’ll see that you hooring yourself out to Dundee United might’ve helped put a bit of a dampener on that...

I also see him with some nice words about his time at Raith and about Lewis Vaughan. Just you ignore that though

Stopped reading after the first sentence as it was incorrect. *lead us to the Premiership playoffs.
This has been done to death, but for the benefit of the Falkirk fans; Ray Mac was on a horrible run of results, then we finally got the win against Elgin in the SC, and a few ok results after that in the league - still not great. Changed up the front 3 in January, and then we went on a wild win run from Feb to the end of the season. And then the snakey b*****d was sorting himself out the Dundee Utd job whilst we had Hibs in the playoffs. Had he waited after them and then done it, he probably would be reminded in fond memories, but the way he conducted himself was so snakey! Therefore f**k Ray eh!

1 hour ago, Paco said:

After every bad result in the first few months of the season he was with us he came out with the exact same rubbish (and it was usually factually incorrect then as well). To the point where I stopped listening to his interviews because it was the same bullsh*t every time.

Fair play to him for attracting the players he did at the end of the January window to turn us around but before then he just deflected each dodgy result with that same crap.

Most teams at this level rebuild each summer. Nobody has that settled a starting eleven.

Mckinnon did a brilliant job with us. Even when he was struggling, I'm pretty sure we never left the top 4 or we were at least always not far away. 

Can't blame him for taking the Utd job, it's a bigger job. The way he did it was pretty shite though, and it clouded what was the biggest game our club had in years. 

Edited by CALDERON

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I also see him with some nice words about his time at Raith and about Lewis Vaughan. Just you ignore that though

Very true, and good on him for his words about Vaughan. There's no denying that the first part of the interview is complete nonsense though and that it's an excuse he uses time and again.

Very true, and good on him for his words about Vaughan. There's no denying that the first part of the interview is complete nonsense though and that it's an excuse he uses time and again.
A lot depends on what you think these people owe the fans in terms of seeking other employment. For me, its not a huge amount tbh

25 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

Mckinnon did a brilliant job with us. Even when he was struggling, I'm pretty sure we never left the top 4 or we were at least always not far away. 

Can't blame him for taking the Utd job, it's a bigger job. The way he did it was pretty shite though, and it clouded what was the biggest game our club had in years. 

Spot on. We were fourth nearly all season as far as I can remember. The second half of the season was outstanding with a 12 game unbeaten run and we definitely improved after January but we were doing okay before that.

In particular, I remember 2 key back to back away games in December against Morton and Queen of the South who were our main competitors for the play offs. We drew in Dumfries and then won at Cappielow.

There’s no doubt we wouldn’t have done it so comfortably but we were on course for the play offs before the January changes. 

Likewise, no problem with him going to Dundee United if he had just waited until after the play offs to talk to them. He was speaking to them before and in between our play off games with Hibs and then Dundee United made their approach literally hours after our defeat. He did a great job for us but I’m sure he fully understands why he still gets abuse. 

Edited by R.R.FC

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
20 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

A lot depends on what you think these people owe the fans in terms of seeking other employment. For me, its not a huge amount tbh

In terms of owing the fans I tend to agree, however It wasn't an entirely hermetic exercise between McKinnon and United though. Initial contact occurred months before the play offs, and he'd already tapped up Ellis to go with him, thus when Ellis was offered the head of youth development role, he turned it down (a non footballing side role that came with full employment rights, etc.) So it's not like the squad didn't already know going into the play offs what was going on. Jason Thomson even alluded to that and McKinnon's unfamiliar instructions and setup going into the Hibs away game. 

All in all, I still look back fondly on McKinnon's time in the job, we were successful, relatively so. His Mk.2 team in particular was a real joy to watch. I don't mind that he wanted to take a bigger job on, especially at United where his heart really was (which belies his subsequent reputation as a mercenary). I do think however that the way the United thing went down did have an impact on us even if the chances of us going up were trivially small already. He'll get a hot reception at Starks, but then again what ex-manager/players don't? At least the Fife Free Press aren't providing cut out back pages calling him a snake.

Gary Locke on the other hand....

5 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

'Football manager blethers shite before match with old team shock'. I'm more concerned by the fact that he cant manage then the shite he spouts to the media. I can see tomorrows game being a real stinker won by a defensive feck up from either side. 

"Listen.... that's a right good team" - his go to verbal tick, I love it. Second only to Grant Murray's abuse of the phrase "First and foremost".

On the game, it does seem likely. Falkirk have been stingy as f**k in defence. Our goals/game For and Against in the league in August was 2.6/1.8, in September that went to 2.3/0.3, and that goal was directly from a Davo f**k up.

1 hour ago, CALDERON said:

This

1 hour ago, renton said:

In terms of owing the fans I tend to agree, however It wasn't an entirely hermetic exercise between McKinnon and United though. Initial contact occurred months before the play offs, and he'd already tapped up Ellis to go with him, thus when Ellis was offered the head of youth development role, he turned it down (a non footballing side role that came with full employment rights, etc.) So it's not like the squad didn't already know going into the play offs what was going on. Jason Thomson even alluded to that and McKinnon's unfamiliar instructions and setup going into the Hibs away game. 

All in all, I still look back fondly on McKinnon's time in the job, we were successful, relatively so. His Mk.2 team in particular was a real joy to watch. I don't mind that he wanted to take a bigger job on, especially at United where his heart really was (which belies his subsequent reputation as a mercenary). I do think however that the way the United thing went down did have an impact on us even if the chances of us going up were trivially small already. He'll get a hot reception at Starks, but then again what ex-manager/players don't? At least the Fife Free Press aren't providing cut out back pages calling him a snake.

Gary Locke on the other hand....

I don't feel that much ill will to Locke. He seemed a decent guy who was miles out of his depth and should never ever have been appointed. 

Mckinnon was the opposite really. 

3 hours ago, Paco said:

I'd be more surprised if he got it right, I recall the majority of Raith fans beiling about the one tactic of hoofing it to Daly that season, he got lucky Daly got a better gig and lucky in the window, if not you'd still had been hoofing it to Daly

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

Did he say Vaughan is made of paper ?

His best performances against were for Dumbarton

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

That game against the Pars was the biggest game our club has had in the last few years and we fluffed it, although the Hibs games were pretty big too. If only the Ray to United thing happened a month later.

McKinnon did a good job with us but the Winter period was awful. Did we really stay top 4 throughout that period? We were just shelling long balls to a finished John Daly who couldn’t hold them up. It was soul-destroying football. That period between February and May where we had Hardie banging in goals was the most exciting football I can remember since the mid-90s though, so I appreciate that.