Pick your best team!!!

TheLad

Caulker the latest Abroad League darling I see. Bang average at Dundee but now a world beater despite no one having seen a minute of him in Turkey.

Not sure who called him a world beater...

It’s not difficult to be a better option than our other centre halves. Experience at a decent level and currently playing in a decent league. We need a bit of experience alongside McKenna and given Mulgrew sells at least a goal every time he plays it’s definitely not him.

We've got several centre-backs who were much better than Caulker was when he was playing in each of the last two leagues he played in (English Championship and Scottish Premiership). Maybe he's regained some of his early promise out in Turkey, but I wouldn't want to purely base that on his team being top of the league.

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

We've got several centre-backs who were much better than Caulker was when he was playing in each of the last two leagues he played in (English Championship and Scottish Premiership). Maybe he's regained some of his early promise out in Turkey, but I wouldn't want to purely base that on his team being top of the league.

Who are the several? McKenna I'll give you. But if Mulgrew is still getting a first team game for Scotland then Caulker wouldn't be a bad shout. Certainly wouldn't have Devlin, Findlay or Gallagher ahead of Caulker personally.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Findlay, Halkett, Souttar, McKenna, Gallagher and Lithgow are all so obviously better than Caulker was in the Scottish Premiership.

Caulker hadn't played in almost 6 month when he joined Dundee, the only reason he dropped down to Dundee was that he was suffering from depression and wanted out of the spotlight of English football. Dundee weren't exactly a defensive unit but he showed he was a class above the majority of our CH's all the while not being quite right.

If you're judging Caulker on the 6 month he spent at Dens then you're as well as writing him off completely, which is exactly what you seem to be doing. In terms of calibre and quality, he's easily better than every single one of those names you mentioned if he's sorted his off field issues out.

So you're basically agreeing with everything I've said? I haven't written him off at all, I've said that not a single person on here has the slightest idea whether he's been good or bad in Turkey, or whether he actually has improved since leaving Dundee on or off the park.

51 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

So you're basically agreeing with everything I've said? I haven't written him off at all, I've said that not a single person on here has the slightest idea whether he's been good or bad in Turkey, or whether he actually has improved since leaving Dundee on or off the park.

Who said he was good? You missed that question that was asked of you. 

56 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Correct, we havnt a clue. Just a strange one that this team he plays for just so happens to be top of the league, a team that ,who has heard of? I mean surely we should pick players on form?
I mean Devlin form for Aberdeen is good?
Then we have Mulgrews Wigan who are in 19th
Stuart Findlay of Kilmarnock on form seems to be ahead of top two
Declan Gallagher gets thrown in due to an injury to someone else.

Im glad we have a choice of good defenders 

There must be better eligible centre halfs than that list?

This is a truly depressing time as a Scotland fan, even over the past 20 years when we have not made it to a tournament, we still had some hope until the final qualifying game. Now the hope is lost too.

It's just shit.

19 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Who said he was good? You missed that question that was asked of you. 

Nobody specifically said "Steven Caulker is good", but they appeared advocating picking him in their strongest Scotland team ahead of a bunch of guys that were miles ahead of him twelve months ago, purely on the basis that his team are top of the league.

8 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Correct, we havnt a clue. Just a strange one that this team he plays for just so happens to be top of the league, a team that ,who has heard of? I mean surely we should pick players on form?
I mean Devlin form for Aberdeen is good?
Then we have Mulgrews Wigan who are in 19th
Stuart Findlay of Kilmarnock on form seems to be ahead of top two
Declan Gallagher gets thrown in due to an injury to someone else.

Im glad we have a choice of good defenders 

Killie were top of the Premiership this time last season but I doubt anyone would have been calling for Kirk Broadfoot to get into the squad. You've listed four players there who would be in absolutely nobody's strongest Scotland defence. We have several injuries in defence now which is the only reason Devlin or Gallagher are anywhere near the squad.

You've said "surely we should pick players on form", but absolutely nobody in this thread actually knows anything about his form.

If he genuinely has returned to something close to the Steven Caulker who was very good for Swansea 8 years ago, or even the Steven Caulker who was half-decent for Cardiff 6 years ago then by all means get him in.

Edited by craigkillie

Just now, craigkillie said:

Nobody specifically said "Steven Caulker is good", but they appeared advocating picking him in their strongest Scotland team ahead of a bunch of guys that were miles ahead of him twelve months ago, purely on the basis that his team are top of the league.

Killie were top of the Premiership this time last season but I doubt anyone would have been calling for Kirk Broadfoot to get into the squad. You've listed four players there who would be in absolutely nobody's strongest Scotland defence. We have several injuries in defence now which is the only reason Devlin or Gallagher are anywhere near the squad.

You've said "surely we should pick players on form", but absolutely nobody in this thread actually knows anything about his form.

If he genuinely has returned to something close to the Steven Caulker who was very good for Swansea 7 years ago, or even the Steven Caulker who was half-decent for Cardiff 6 years ago then by all means get him in.

So nobody said Steven Caulker is good, i'm glad we cleared that up.  

I listed the four central defenders who are in the squad right now. Caulker seems available. I presume because he hasnt been getting watched he wont be getting called up. 
Why have Kilmarnock players been getting called up? I presume because they were on form and deserved a chance, ( in the eyes of our manager of course)
However you have checked the stats and seen that Caulker has been part of a team that is leaking goals while sitting top of the league, so we best just dismiss him 

Clarke has literally said himself that he's aware of Caulker and will be keeping an eye on him, so you don't need to worry that he's not going to get watched.

Since you're being weirdly defensive and overly literal about everything I've said, I'll ask where anyone has dismissed him? I said he's spent the last part of his career being fairly rubbish for QPR and Dundee and that being top of the league doesn't automatically make you good.

9 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Clarke has literally said himself that he's aware of Caulker and will be keeping an eye on him, so you don't need to worry that he's not going to get watched.

Since you're being weirdly defensive and overly literal about everything I've said, I'll ask where anyone has dismissed him? I said he's spent the last part of his career being fairly rubbish for QPR and Dundee and that being top of the league doesn't automatically make you good.

Weirdly, you were the one who avoided to answer a question from someone. 
You eventually said, i didnt say because he was top of the league that made him good. Maybe all pure coincidence the team he plays for after 7 games are top of the league, like you said they have leaked in goals. ( google will help out for now)
Who is our best central pairing anyway? Do we count injured players in this discussion? 

A strange one, the loss that they had to against Besiktas he wasn't playing, only game he has missed and they lost

Edited by G_Man1985

We shouldn't be calling up anyone "for a look". Scout them and call them up if you think they'll improve the team. Games' worth of evidence is far more important than four or five training sessions where we should be focusing on organisation, shape and specific game plans.