Hallowe'en thread

ICTChris

Today is Hallowe'en.  I used to love Hallowe'en when I was a kid, my mum used to make me my costumes, one year I went as a Roman gladiator with all the armour made out of cardboard she's painted gold.  We used to go round all the houses of other kids in the nearby streets, everyone thought it was great.  We all had to do a party piece, a joke or a rhyme or something like that to earn our sweets or nuts (or if they were total dicks fruit).  Nowadays, the creeping Americanisation of Britain has lead to 'trick or treating' becoming more prevelant, which I think is a shame, although maybe I'm just a miserable old man.

What are P&Bers doing for Hallowe'en?

Is anyone attending a costume party? 

Are P&Bers sending their offspring out guising or are the modern generation more interested in playing Minecraft on the Playstations than talling a joke for some chocolates?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't at Hallowe'en but my favourite fancy dress outfit recently was this kid who dressed up for a ComiCon type event as a tearful social media influencer apology.

image.thumb.png.43f1fac99d6443645e72e229d621aa19.png

Edited by ICTChris

1 minute ago, MuckleMoo said:

It's Guising. Get this trick or treating in the sea. And yea, it's turned into another money grab for the supermarkets.

Fair play to those who make there own costumes but the off the peg numbers just don't cut it

That ship has long sailed, I'm afraid.

I've had 6 different Halloween parties this month with the various language schools I work at.

I obviously didn't wear my mask for the kindergarten kids as it's too scary for them but a 9yo boy did piss himself and cry.....

IMG_20191008_184955.thumb.jpg.105b1e498cb0c675e4fa9641fc2cabf4.jpg

4 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

My uncle in law (?) once hired a Noddy Holder outfit to go to a Halloween party.  He went awol (drink related obvs) and resurfaced in the outfit about a week later after the hire shop had chased him down.

Your uncle sounds Crazee.

Guest Moomintroll

Lasy Friday was Hallowe'en.  I used to love Hallowe'en when I was a kid, my mum used to make me my costumes, one year I went as a Roman gladiator with all the armour made out of cardboard she's painted gold.  We used to go round all the houses of other kids in the nearby streets, everyone thought it was great.  We all had to do a party piece, a joke or a rhyme or something like that to earn our sweets or nuts (or if they were total dicks fruit).  Nowadays, the creeping Americanisation of Britain has lead to 'trick or treating' becoming more prevelant, which I think is a shame, although maybe I'm just a miserable old man.
What are P&Bers doing for Hallowe'en?
Is anyone attending a costume party? 
Are P&Bers sending their offspring out guising or are the modern generation more interested in playing Minecraft on the Playstations than talling a joke for some chocolates?

FT for our Kilmarnock correspondents, does anyone of you know why that is the case??

I was obsessed with the Marx Brothers when I was wee so I went out as Groucho one year. It was a fountain of sweets I returned with, such was the delight of some of the older folks when they opened the door to see a wee midget Groucho standing there with a fake cigar. I used to have a photo of it but no idea where it is.

It's shite these days though, no imagination and not enough people make their own costumes. Ah you've purchased an over-priced Buzz Lightyear costume which you'll never wear again? Nice one.

Just back from driving around town on my motorbike dressed as a scout/cub (Thai school uniform for Thursday) with my son on the back.  He is dressed as a rhino.  Many many strange looks, we more than usual.

They don't do Halloween here.  Good laugh, which was the main idea. Boy loved it.

Guest Moomintroll
I attended a Hallowe'en party a few years ago dressed as a priest, and received an evening full of sectarian abuse for my troubles.
Spoiler

fintan-stack.jpg&key=b3560c967013dcc1da3cdd86a5c813523ee5599c0d77282e550b34f9db8c18a4

Never change Ayrshire, never change. Thank f**k I escaped.