how much is your council tax

Ylf

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Anyone with a 3 bedroom detached or bigger will likely pay in excess of £200 per month regardless of where they live.

It's a disgraceful tax and should be replaced by a tax based on ability to pay.

Another way to f**k over people who did what they were told and saved for their future now get ripped for the full amount if they have over £16k as a nest egg regardless of what their monthly income is.

I'm still annoyed that an apparently left wing SNP hasn't replaced it and the last Labour government just allowed it to spiral out of control in the rest of the UK.

I don't think replacing council tax with a local income tax is withing the Scottish Government's gift - not a devolved power.

19 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

How did you get away with for 6 years?!

I missed one payment last year and they sent me a letter within a week, threatening legal action and fees added on top, and from what I've read elsewhere they take it very seriously.

Is it different in Ireland?

Just noticed all these amounts posted are monthly! That's harsh.  I'm not surprised they are on the ball when chasing you for that kind of money.

What can they do if you don't pay?

My 330 is for the year and it's estimated by the revenue and it's probably over estimated so I could probably get a rebate if I engaged with them but I don't want to for other reasons.

What we pay is called LPT local property tax and when it came out at first you had to register to pay so I think the government had no idea who lived where and who owned what. They've recently brought out a public services card too which you need to claim social welfare or get a passport so it's basically an identity card so between that, the tax and whatever else they can get their hands on they are starting to get on top of it.

Water charges were brought it here few years ago and between the perma-protesters and few people paying they were overturned.

3 hours ago, The DA said:

I don't think replacing council tax with a local income tax is withing the Scottish Government's gift - not a devolved power.

He knows fine well that they can't change it. He's a trolling piece of shit.

29 minutes ago, Nkomo-A-Gogo said:

Just noticed all these amounts posted are monthly! That's harsh.  I'm not surprised they are on the ball when chasing you for that kind of money.

What can they do if you don't pay?

My 330 is for the year and it's estimated by the revenue and it's probably over estimated so I could probably get a rebate if I engaged with them but I don't want to for other reasons.

What we pay is called LPT local property tax and when it came out at first you had to register to pay so I think the government had no idea who lived where and who owned what. They've recently brought out a public services card too which you need to claim social welfare or get a passport so it's basically an identity card so between that, the tax and whatever else they can get their hands on they are starting to get on top of it.

Water charges were brought it here few years ago and between the perma-protesters and few people paying they were overturned.

Aye they take it very seriously and apply to have it taken directly from your salary after a certain amount of time, as well as bumping on fees for doing so. It's why debt management people and Citizens Advice always tell people that it should be a priority bill.

Not sure how often councils actually do it though, but I suspect that the threat is usually enough for most people!

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Not sure how often councils actually do it though, but I suspect that the threat is usually enough for most people!

Guy I work with does it every year. Gets something like 18% of his wage arrested for 6 months then that's him cleared. Lives high life for 6 month then the letter comes through saying he's getting a wage arrestment for last year's council tax. 

Mental behaviour.

Edited by Dele

9 minutes ago, Dele said:

Guy I work with does it every year. Gets something like 18% of his wage arrested for 6 months then that's him cleared. Lives high life for 6 month then the letter comes through saying he's getting a wage arrestment for last year's council tax. 

Mental behaviour.

Aye that insane stuff. How can anyone live like that?!