St Mirren vs Hibs

I wasn’t there tonight but I felt St Mirren were also, on the face of it at least, unfortunate to lose to us on the first game of the season.

Being consistently ‘unlucky’ with results not reflecting the chances created is not something to be encouraged by. I say that genuinely from years of experience rather than as a pisstake.

Conversely, 2 goals from 2 shots on target is an oddly satisfying stat to read after some of our earlier efforts in the season. Very pleasing start for Ross.

Watched the highlights there and looked a case of two penalties:one given correctly for Hibs and one wrongly not given for St.Mirren for the shove.

I expect Hibs to push Aberdeen for third place while St.Mirren are like the rest of us- a work in progress with their front line in particular  letting them down.

7 hours ago, Alan Stubbs said:

Being consistently ‘unlucky’ with results not reflecting the chances created is not something to be encouraged by. I say that genuinely from years of experience rather than as a pisstake.

Regularly losing when playing well generally relegate sides in this division, as eventually you'll stop playing well for a spell.

4 hours ago, Ye Olde Hamiltonian said:

Watched the highlights there and looked a case of two penalties:one given correctly for Hibs and one wrongly not given for St.Mirren for the shove.

Didnt see that at all on any highlights?

Can't understand this way of thinking that we somehow played well. We didn't. There were 4 or 5 individuals who played well but that was more than offset by some dreadful performances. Hladky was his usual self, Mcloughlin, S McGinn, Flynn, Foley and Obika (good player, not a goalscorer though) all had good showings. 

On the other hand, Magennis was absolutely rotten again, has been all season and is far overdue a spell out of the side. On the occasions when he did get the ball, save for one or two runs, he looked for MacKenzie or Mcloughlin every single time. I can handle that if you are giving and then trying to make runs to draw men out or find better space for yourself but his mobility yesterday was awful from minute one. 

Paul McGinn, MacKenzie and Waters were all poor. The first two now look like they are at the end of the line with us and Waters might end up back at Killie in January at this rate. 

Durmus started brightly but as soon as Naismith put him on his arse, we would have been as well hooking him as Naismith was then living rent free in his head.

Kyle McAllister came on and I think touched the ball once, a massively over hit ball straight out the park. Absolutely a disappointment so far since his return. 

Yesterday was not a good performance. A good performance is an aggressive, in your face, high energy showing. Several of our players looked absoultely lethargic, especially when we were breaking out of defence when players would look up and there were like 2 men ahead of the ball. That's simply not going to cut it when trying to attack teams. 

And let's not get started on our set pieces

2 minutes ago, HibsFan said:

Is there a chance we're all falling into the same trap we did under 714253935_heckysure.png.e5c05e1e301d4262ad8dda210c1919ba.png when he started off with a few wins on the bounce? Possibly.

Is there a chance that I don't give a f**k about this? Most certainly. Jackface.png.eb1c3b58ee15bdfd9540536fa729cb88.png

Hecky didn't have enough of these -----> hecky sure.pngto make it successful at this club.

No such barriers to being an absolute shagger exist this time. image.png

Can't understand this way of thinking that we somehow played well. We didn't. There were 4 or 5 individuals who played well but that was more than offset by some dreadful performances. Hladky was his usual self, Mcloughlin, S McGinn, Flynn, Foley and Obika (good player, not a goalscorer though) all had good showings. 

On the other hand, Magennis was absolutely rotten again, has been all season and is far overdue a spell out of the side. On the occasions when he did get the ball, save for one or two runs, he looked for MacKenzie or Mcloughlin every single time. I can handle that if you are giving and then trying to make runs to draw men out or find better space for yourself but his mobility yesterday was awful from minute one. 

Paul McGinn, MacKenzie and Waters were all poor. The first two now look like they are at the end of the line with us and Waters might end up back at Killie in January at this rate. 

Durmus started brightly but as soon as Naismith put him on his arse, we would have been as well hooking him as Naismith was then living rent free in his head.

Kyle McAllister came on and I think touched the ball once, a massively over hit ball straight out the park. Absolutely a disappointment so far since his return. 

Yesterday was not a good performance. A good performance is an aggressive, in your face, high energy showing. Several of our players looked absoultely lethargic, especially when we were breaking out of defence when players would look up and there were like 2 men ahead of the ball. That's simply not going to cut it when trying to attack teams. 

Yep totally agree about the two Kyles. Potential to be really good, important players for us but so far have contributed absolutely f**k all. Need more from them. A lot more.

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

We played well enough to create at least six or seven good opportunities, which resulted in Magennis missing his header, the post bring rattled, Obika making an arse of it, or many shots landing in Johnstone High Street. On many, many occasions at SMP, I sit and watch us struggle to string two passes together. The word I used to describe us last night was ‘decent’, and we were, until as always, we cannot score any / enough goals. Agree about set-pieces though, so many times we couldn’t even get a corner past the first man. Our crossing from open play was awful too. Over-hit blooters sailing high, wide, and not very handsome.

Edited by pozbaird

20 hours ago, Dominique Malonga said:

There’s not many clubs in Scotland with the same religious beliefs and general outlook which is a crying shame.

Celtic of Glasgow, Hibernian and St Mirren all sing from the same hymn sheet so you’ll never hear me say a bad word about St Mirren.

More power to them.

Just to expand on this rather excellent post, I couldn't help but notice that the Hibs support last night was numbered at one thousand, one hundred and eighty-eight.

Rearrange the numbers a bit and you have 1888, the year that our glorious bhrothers were born.

That can't just be a coincidence. There must be something special going on in this Holy Trinity we have.

13 hours ago, HibsFan said:

Can't believe it was only a few weeks ago that we were calling Doidge the Welsh goal virgin.

With his goal virginity well and truly lost now, Shagger Doidge is now cutting around picking up goals like it's closing time in the club. 36064888_JackLaugh.png.6ef38c76c69beaba4fe4a3dfaa17d8e3.png

Shagger Doidge ain’t hanging around till closing time.  He’s like the Gandalf of football.  He scored exactly when he means to.

8BE1091A-4D1C-4978-8ED9-6F3C401AD6DD.png

12 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

Shagger Doidge ain’t hanging around till closing time.  He’s like the Gandalf of football.  He scored exactly when he means to.

8BE1091A-4D1C-4978-8ED9-6F3C401AD6DD.png

So that's why I haven't been getting any matches lately. The mad shagger has a monopoly over the whole app.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

We played well enough to create at least six or seven good opportunities, which resulted in Magennis missing his header, the post bring rattled, Obika making an arse of it, or many shots landing in Johnstone High Street. On many, many occasions at SMP, I sit and watch us struggle to string two passes together. The word I used to describe us last night was ‘decent’, and we were, until as always, we cannot score any / enough goals. Agree about set-pieces though, so many times we couldn’t even get a corner past the first man. Our crossing from open play was awful too. Over-hit blooters sailing high, wide, and not very handsome.

It's important not to get the fact Hibs were really poor confused with us having a good performance, though.

1 minute ago, BIG BEN said:

Surprised the highlights never showed the keeper halting Magennis. Thought that should have been a red for excessive force/ endangering an opponent

The highlights are terrible.  Did they not miss us hitting the post the other week ? 

Not much in it for the first half hour until the goal, a weak/non-existent challenge on the Hibs striker and a bad deflection cost us. For the next half hour we let the game drift, the balance looked wrong, outside off the box Obika held the ball up reasonably well but all too often received little support from midfield, Durmus in particular seemed to give up after the ref decided not to book Naismith after about 30 minutes while inside the box Obika looked like a 5 goal a season striker. A couple of yellow cards for Hibs at the start of the second half which on other nights could've been red ended up with woeful free kicks from us. Things perked up for us after Mullen came on and hit the post but as we pushed for the equalizer we were hit with a sucker punch. Hopefully the consolation goal from Morias will give him confidence in the weeks to come. Our substitutions came too late - mibbaes worth a point but mibbaes not!

We have six games to play in December will and this may test our squad with Flynn, Magennis & Mullen all looking to have picked up knocks tonight - hoping to get to the transfer window in a position similar to where we are now.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

It's important not to get the fact Hibs were really poor confused with us having a good performance, though.

Personally, I’m not confused at all. I saw with my own eyes St Mirren create multiple good chances. The fact that Magennis missed the header, Mullen hit the post, Obika froze, and we muffed shots and put in some poor final balls is the galling part. How many good opportunities do you reckon we created last night? As I said, I’ve seen many shitfests from us at home, where we created the square root of F-all. Last night I stand by my view that we put in a decent performance - perhaps our decentness in the second half kept Hibs on the back foot for most of it? Can’t remember Hladky being very busy in the second half - or is that just down to Hibs being poor?