Ayr v Queens

2 hours ago, No_Problemo said:

What even is this - we played Moffat as a lone striker in a 4-3-3 in our successful part of the season.

Secondly, why would we possibly go back to a 4-4-2 when we have looked far better when we reverted back to our 4-3-3 the past two games.

Ayr’s set up and results in 2019 over last 18 games 

played 4-3-3 12 games won 6 lost 6

played 4-4-2 3 games won 2 lost 1

played 4-5-1 2 games won 1 lost 1

played 3-5-2 1 game ended in a draw 

Formation going on what was provided to press 

Arbroath at home 3-5-2

Alloa at home 4-3-3

United Away 4-5-1

shows Kerr is not settled yet in his preferred formation , or showing that he is capable of changing formation against different opponents where as Ian McCall played 4-3-3 apart from 1game 

Edited by Robbo63

Ayr’s set up and results in 2019 over last 18 games 
played 4-3-3 12 games won 6 lost 6
played 4-4-2 3 games won 2 lost 1
played 4-5-1 2 games won 1 lost 1
played 3-5-2 1 game ended in a draw 
Formation going on what was provided to press 

Arbroath at home 3-5-2
Alloa at home 4-3-3
United Away 4-5-1
shows Kerr is not settled yet in his preferred formation , or showing that he is capable of changing formation against different opponents where as Ian McCall played 4-3-3 apart from 1game 

The Arbroath game was a one off because of the bad weather. Kerr had the team set up in the normal 4-3-3 until the night of the game and he changed it. I’d be very surprised if he did that again considering it would leave out our 2 best players and we don’t have the centre backs for it to work either.

I wasn’t at the Dundee Utd game so I can’t be sure how we set up but I would imagine it was the usual system but asking Forrest and McCowan to sit a bit deeper due to it being an away game and that Utd are also very dangerous on both flanks.

Imo you need a formation that gets the best out of Forrest, Kelly, Moffat and McCowan and the only one that does that (that we’ve used) is a 4-3-3. It’s pretty clear to see that we’re capable of beating anyone in this league with that system.

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

The Arbroath game was a one off because of the bad weather. Kerr had the team set up in the normal 4-3-3 until the night of the game and he changed it. I’d be very surprised if he did that again considering it would leave out our 2 best players and we don’t have the centre backs for it to work either.

I wasn’t at the Dundee Utd game so I can’t be sure how we set up but I would imagine it was the usual system but asking Forrest and McCowan to sit a bit deeper due to it being an away game and that Utd are also very dangerous on both flanks.

Imo you need a formation that gets the best out of Forrest, Kelly, Moffat and McCowan and the only one that does that (that we’ve used) is a 4-3-3. It’s pretty clear to see that we’re capable of beating anyone in this league with that system.

Could be usual , all I have quoted is what the the press are told of set up , not what my take on the formation was , it’s very easy for manager to change formation during game , what I have quoted was the formation at kick off , and yes my favoured set up is 4-3-3 with the wide midfielders pushing on at every opportunity 

Edited by Robbo63

Could be usual , all I have quoted is what the the press are told of set up , not what my take on the formation was , it’s very easy for manager to change formation during game , what I have quoted was the formation at kick off 

I agree that the formation is very easy to change. The 4-3-3 can easily become a 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1 depending on who’s on the pitch.

I just don’t think for the players we’ve got, a 4-4-2 is the best option.

12 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

I agree that the formation is very easy to change. The 4-3-3 can easily become a 4-5-1 or a 4-2-3-1 depending on who’s on the pitch.

I just don’t think for the players we’ve got, a 4-4-2 is the best option.

4-4-2 seems to be way out of fashion at the moment at every level.  I think the problem  is that you need wide men with real pace to make it work and at championship level there just aren’t that.many around.  Watching McCall trying to shoe horn Crawford in at left midfield or Andy Murdoch at right midfield was painful to watch at times.

1 hour ago, JessieField said:

Hope we get a decent ref who'll protect our players from Muirhead.

12 minutes ago, eibbod nehpets said:

Hope he wakes up to chlamydia on Xmas morning. 

Love how rattled Queens fans get by a player as average as Aaron Muirhead. 

Big one this - my first Saturday home game since Inverness beat us in October so looking forward to a wee day out for it. 

Team wise - any word on McCowan after Saturday there?  If he is out then I think we will struggle.  I'm all for giving Kerr a chance and will continue to do so until he has had time to build his own team - but as others have said - if he is choosing to make his mark by picking Moore over Moffat then it seems bizarre.  I like Moore and he is a better goalscorer than Moff but it's obvious to anyone (including a lot of opposition fans clearly) that Moff is the far better player and brings out the best in McCowan and Forrest. 

Re: the defence - does it matter? We seem absolutely incapable of a clean sheet unless the midfield and forwards are absolutely dominating - even then we tend to gift a consolation.  I can accept that when we are playing the 433 / 451 where you know we have a striker and 3 attacking midfielders swarming over teams.  Less satisfying otherwise 

Edited by Hursty

Going by snippets I've heard from various people. Kerr and McArdle just didnt think Moffat played well against Arbroath a few weeks ago and have switched him out. Nothing sinister, he will get back in.

I can see why folk get frustrated by Craig Moore, but with Doolan literally posted missing, he is all we have up top unless we take a punt on McKenzie

January business is going to determine my overall opinion on Mark Kerr as manager. Huge 4 weeks ahead