Ireland

Crùbag

Those polled have never been to Larne or Ballymena. Would the Republic seriously take a million furious loyalists to its bosom. How else are people expected to answer a question on part of what is supposed to be the national political creed? Northern Ireland is a political, financial and, to some extent,moral basket case and that might be a consideration in an actual vote. 
It will certainly be considered in any vote but genuinely think that about 60-70,% will vote for it. It's a partitioned country remember

Yes, I understand this and the emotional attraction of freeing the last green field from bondage.  I genuinely think that singing songs and mythologising martyrs is as far as some nationalism goes. The loyalists used to be accused of being loyal to the half-crown - we'll see how fervent the appeal of a United Ireland is if and when a vote comes. Of course Ireland should never have been partitioned but, in some ways, it must have  seemed a rational short-term solution. I would actually like to see unification sooner rather than later, just anticipating some element of realpolitik.

Intended as reply to John Lambie's Doos.

Edited by Thane of Cawdor
Didn't quote intended recipient.

1 minute ago, John Lambies Doos said:

FF will get most seats by one. SF left around 7 seats behind.
SF have moral right based on highest voting percentage

How do you see it going down?

I can see SF/FF/ and take your pick of the left with the left candidates agreeing to back Mary Lou.

Will FF go for it. If they don't SF grievance it up to the max and stand the correct number of candidates in another election?

Surely SF will stand more candidates if there is another election? Seems like a massive mistake not to do so here. Even an extra two or three TDs and they would have been able to claim, beyond dispute, that they had won election. Now they will likely come second, in terms of seats at least.

It's obviously a mistake in hindsight but they had a shit locals and Euros.

Of course they will stand more in a new election.

Not all their new seats would come from FF/FG though. Their transfer left strategy seems to have been pretty effective.

A new election should see SF win but I don't know radically it changes the arithmetic 

3 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Who has the moral authroty to be the Taoiseach ? Most seats or most votes?

Actually now looking extremely squeaky bum for FF even getting most seats now.

Most seats I would have thought given it's an STV system after all where the destination of transfers also very much matters. SF blew it big time by not standing more candidates.

The numbers probably do work for a short-lived FF plus independents backed up in confidence motions by FG type arrangement to keep up a cordon sanitaire where SF is concerned. Will be interesting to see what FF decide to do.

I can see SF/FF/ and take your pick of the left with the left candidates agreeing to back Mary Lou.
Will FF go for it. If they don't SF grievance it up to the max and stand the correct number of candidates in another election?
Ironically if SF can avoid government and the rest cobble together something (that will last month's only) SF will sweep board in a new election.

Surely SF will stand more candidates if there is another election? Seems like a massive mistake not to do so here. Even an extra two or three TDs and they would have been able to claim, beyond dispute, that they had won election. Now they will likely come second, in terms of seats at least.
You could argue they won same seats as FF. Ie the speaker FF gets in without a vote. Hence it's 37 37

15 hours ago, doulikefish said:

Off blackpool average is about 80 -100m thats some length of legs youll need there off Galloway emoji23.png

Back in the early eighties Jack Ups with max 300 feet legs were drilling comfortably with an air gap of 50 feet hull to sea level off Blackpool and Morecombe bay.

Crew changes by chopper were out of Blackpool.

The non FF/FG parties have the required over 80 seats to form a Government. I didn't hear any of the small parties or independents say they were unwilling to work with Sinn Fein on the RTE coverage. They might agree on a programme for Government and a cabinet, but I doubt it will last long without Fianna Fail backing. The likes of the Healy-Rae brothers will probably bring down the Government if they don't get a tunnel from Kerry to Boston.

1 hour ago, John Lambies Doos said:
10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Ironically if SF can avoid government and the rest cobble together something (that will last month's only) SF will sweep board in a new election.

That's the way I see it. FF should hold their noses and form a coalition with SF - "for the good of the country/stable government/listening to the electorate's wishes" - and when it all goes down the pan - 9/12 months? - have another election.

8 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

The non FF/FG parties have the required over 80 seats to form a Government. I didn't hear any of the small parties or independents say they were unwilling to work with Sinn Fein on the RTE coverage. They might agree on a programme for Government and a cabinet, but I doubt it will last long without Fianna Fail backing. The likes of the Healy-Rae brothers will probably bring down the Government if they don't get a tunnel from Kerry to Boston.

I think that's something everyone could get behind. Imagine the size of their St Patricks Day Parade then.