What Gives You The Heebie Jeebies?

Dee Man

And the 2020 winner with the most bizarre heebie jeebie is...

2 hours ago, DAFC. said:

I also cannot eat food when there is Halloween decorations up. I have no idea why. Think it’s just the ugly decor and grousome props that give the boak whenever I try and eat around it. We used to go all out at Halloween when I was a kid, so there was plenty of decorations up. Still can’t do it to this day.

Congratulations DAFC. You win12ft of bunting featuring witches and ghosts, a large pumpkin and one of those bowls with a creepy hand on it that tries to grab you when you go to put your hand in it. Well done. 

The horrendous colours displayed when watching something on a VHS tape.
I originally thought it was a 80s/90s highly saturated TV thing which creeped me out but not too sure. Maybe a bit of both.
Can barely look at something like Rab C Nesbit or The Young Ones. Old family videos are a bit of a struggle too.

On 21/01/2020 at 22:25, 101 said:

I really hate spiral stair cases and I hated coming down from the Wallace monument.

Currently in the process of moving house. Current place is 3 floors up in a building that is several hundred years old. Quite a tight spiral staircase. Fine in the daylight but have had to walk it a few times when the landing lights have gone and it's pitch black. Fucking terrifying then.

On 28/01/2020 at 11:00, coprolite said:

Aeroplanes. Specifically being on them when they take off. Any change of pitch in the engine noise, clunking sound or sudden vibration makes me think the engines or wings have fallen off and I have seconds left. By the time they land I'm usually fine. 

Never something that has bothered me, but had a couple of incidents in the last year which terrified me. First was flying home from Melbourne. About 30 minutes after takeoff we hit the worst turbulence I have ever experienced, with the plane feeling like it was being used as some kind of giant cocktail shaker for a short period. A few folk screaming and crying, and I was silently praying to a god I don't believe exists. Lasted maybe 20-30 minutes but by f**k it felt a lot longer.

At the end of last year I was heading home, approaching Edinburgh Airport. Plane was turning over the Firth of Forth and taking a battering off the wind, as per usual, which was fine because I'm used to that. Got maybe 100 metres from touching down on the run way and the b*****ding pilot decides to take us back into the air with no warning. Not ashamed to say I absolutely shat myself. Captain had the cheek to use the intercom afterwards and tell us it was a "perfectly normal procedure" and was due to another plane being delayed while waiting to take off. It felt anything but normal.

Only flight I have taken since that last one was the return journey, which was fairly uneventful. Felt unusually nervous for most of it, hoping that isn't something that becomes an issue for me.

25 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Only flight I have taken since that last one was the return journey, which was fairly uneventful. Felt unusually nervous for most of it, hoping that isn't something that becomes an issue for me.

I used to enjoy flying until I had a couple of bad flights and always feel nervous whenever I fly now.  

Guest Moomintroll
Never something that has bothered me, but had a couple of incidents in the last year which terrified me. First was flying home from Melbourne. About 30 minutes after takeoff we hit the worst turbulence I have ever experienced, with the plane feeling like it was being used as some kind of giant cocktail shaker for a short period. A few folk screaming and crying, and I was silently praying to a god I don't believe exists. Lasted maybe 20-30 minutes but by f**k it felt a lot longer.
At the end of last year I was heading home, approaching Edinburgh Airport. Plane was turning over the Firth of Forth and taking a battering off the wind, as per usual, which was fine because I'm used to that. Got maybe 100 metres from touching down on the run way and the b*****ding pilot decides to take us back into the air with no warning. Not ashamed to say I absolutely shat myself. Captain had the cheek to use the intercom afterwards and tell us it was a "perfectly normal procedure" and was due to another plane being delayed while waiting to take off. It felt anything but normal.
Petrified of flying so a go around would probably be the last straw for me. Got 2 7 hour flights next week & I'm already bricking it.

2 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Petrified of flying so a go around would probably be the last straw for me. Got 2 7 hour flights next week & I'm already bricking it.

I have a few things coming up back home in the summer which I'll need to be back for. Not booked flights yet and not really considering anything else in terms of transport. Could drive or do it by train but I'd rather have 2 hours of the fear than spend 16 hours driving or 14 hours on a train.

6 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

I have a few things coming up back home in the summer which I'll need to be back for. Not booked flights yet and not really considering anything else in terms of transport. Could drive or do it by train but I'd rather have 2 hours of the fear than spend 16 hours driving or 14 hours on a train.

Valium is your friend. 

55 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Currently in the process of moving house. Current place is 3 floors up in a building that is several hundred years old. Quite a tight spiral staircase. Fine in the daylight but have had to walk it a few times when the landing lights have gone and it's pitch black. Fucking terrifying then.

I would never of moved there in the first place.

The place i stayed in Montreal have a rickety old stair case up the front of the house which I was sure was going to collapse.

Guest Moomintroll
Valium is your friend. 
I get diazepam prescribed & drink copiously, by rights I should be one of these air rage zombies you read about but the fear utterly transcends it all & sobers me up as soon as there is the slightest bit of turbulence.

And the 2020 winner with the most bizarre heebie jeebie is...

Congratulations DAFC. You win12ft of bunting featuring witches and ghosts, a large pumpkin and one of those bowls with a creepy hand on it that tries to grab you when you go to put your hand in it. Well done. 

I’m pretty sure we still have all those props in the maw and paw’s house.

But thanks anyway. I do like a good Halloween party.

A lot of folk have the absolute fear of lifts (elevators). But, statistically, the rate of deaths by falling down stairs are astronomical compared to deaths caused by lifts (either by pining the victim as the doors close and half them in two; the lift collapsing with the victim inside; or the victim mistaking the lift being open but plummeting to their death as they step out in to the abyss).

8 minutes ago, DAFC. said:

A lot of folk have the absolute fear of lifts (elevators). But, statistically, the rate of deaths by falling down stairs are astronomical compared to deaths caused by lifts (either by pining the victim as the doors close and half them in two; the lift collapsing with the victim inside; or the victim mistaking the lift being open but plummeting to their death as they step out in to the abyss).

That's because you just have to jump a wee bit as the lift crashes to the floor. (FACT)!