Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I've got a bit of sandpapering today so I've just been to Bunnings (Aussie B&Q) to buy a dust mask - sold out. Staff said people are buying them in bulk due to the virus and workers who genuinely need them right now can't get them anywhere. I had to buy a combo safety pack that contained safety goggles, ear defenders and 5 dust masks. 

Does anyone want to buy ear defenders or safety goggles?

Email received this morning from the head of HR with the usual warnings and advice. Saddened to hear that all business trips to China have been cancelled. This will affect absolutely no one in the organisation right now, so it's quite a shock to see them announce something so drastic.

24 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Email received this morning from the head of HR with the usual warnings and advice. Saddened to hear that all business trips to China have been cancelled. This will affect absolutely no one in the organisation right now, so it's quite a shock to see them announce something so drastic.

Got a text from one of my colleagues today who was due to give a training course in Ningbo in two weeks and got a call this morning saying it's cancelled and there are no immediate plans to reschedule.

Our office here in KL was meant to be hosting a regional training thing for new managers soon, which I gather has also been binned for the foreseeable future.

We're just a small example, but I imagine the economic disruption from this will be huge. Aside from business travel and trade, this will surely have a impact on tourism.

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Got a text from one of my colleagues today who was due to give a training course in Ningbo in two weeks and got a call this morning saying it's cancelled and there are no immediate plans to reschedule.

Our office here in KL was meant to be hosting a regional training thing for new managers soon, which I gather has also been binned for the foreseeable future.

We're just a small example, but I imagine the economic disruption from this will be huge. Aside from business travel and trade, this will surely have a impact on tourism.

Yeah, definitely going to see billions lost as a result. I just thought it was funny that they announced the cancellation of all business trips there when right now there are absolutely none planned anyway.

The economic impact will be huge. Extended holidays which companies will need to foot the bill for. Extended downtime in manufacturing will knock supply chains out for months. Cancelled flights, as well as the huge impact on moving people will have an impact on freight and again supply chain.

Chinese are also inherently bad for returning to work after either of the big holidays so this will be a delaying factor.

I may have said before, but the death rate of this, which some people are focusing on is one of the lesser issues. The speed of the spread of the virus is the bigger concern. That and Chinas handling of this (I think you alluded to this right at the start) are the big factors.

That and if all the Chinese sneeze at once the earth with jump of its axis.

Guy I work with is in Singapore at the moment and his team at work are going off their heads saying they don't want him to come back unless he gets fully tested.

So obviously I'm adding fuel to the fire here by saying 'aye there's a few cases over there right enough' 'I wouldn't be having that' etc,

11 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Through the 7000 barrier in China (now 170 deaths from 7158 infections) These guys are unplayable!

Many Airlines either canceling or scaling back flights to China.

Thailand certainly seem focused on second prize with such gems as ‘to avoid tourist areas like Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Phuket.’ Nothing like being specific. This kind of vague attitude should ensure they see of the challenge pt Singapore and Malaysia for bronze.

Thailand confirming they had the foresight to import 25,000 professionals on flights from Hubei and other infected areas of China without screening. *Slippery P, can you do something about that before I arrive Monday?

France move up the table on 5 points and certainly the Strongest European performers.

However, Spain look to get into the game with a unique move:

Wuhan Zall, the Chinese Super league team arrived in Malaga ahead for pre-season training.

Stranded Wuhan citizens were finally shipped home from Singapore on a specially arranged Scoot flight after previous flight suspensions.

Staff checking them in wore full protective clothing including safety googles.

WHO are planning. declaring this a global event, Olympic committee to consider it for a future regular event.

Wexit for the British nationals in China has been delayed (like its bigger cousin, Brexit) and UK and China could not agree on the terms of the transfer. Looking back at the pictures of the nuggets, it looks clear that no one actually wants them.

Have they diarrhoea as well?