Coronavirus (COVID-19)

No. A long drawn out virus is better (for the health professionals) than a short massive spurt.
Will always disagree with this sentiment here (not neccesarily as it pertains to virus transmission)

I’ve read this about 5 times, and still no closer to understanding what the f**k you’re actually trying to say.
Some sort of tin foil hat stuff I imagine.

It really, really isn’t. Isolationist policy - go it alone - is counterproductive. The health experts are absolutely raging at Trump.
Are they allowing major events and people from Madrid to attend them?
The spanish flu showed that isolation works. This country is in total denial.

4 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Utterly amazed if the Schengen countries don't reciprocate. USA has over 1000 cases and is probably undertesting

Is absolutely undertesting - https://herald-review.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/pritzker-expresses-frustration-with-feds-as-coronavirus-confirmed-outside-cook/article_f9d4f967-dba2-5a38-bd5c-47ee206d11a6.html

And that's only Illinois; I'd imagine it's worse in more rural states. 

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Stages of the idiot.

1. What a load of fuss about nothing, it's just the flu.

2. Stopping meetings is stupid, the chances of catching anything is tiny.

3. Why didn't they ban everything from the start? They haven't a clue.

Stages of welshbairn.

1. We're doooomed! Doooooooooomed!

Let's ignore the death statistics showing far greater dangers to peoples lives than this virus. 

Bet you have a cupboard stashed full of loo roll.

Edited by BawWatchin

Guest JTS98
53 minutes ago, Gaz said:

It would probably have slowed, but not stopped, the spread.

The spread will continue, containment will not work.

That's not the point. The point is stopping too many people getting it early.

The number of cases isn't the concern here, it's the concentration of that number. Delaying a lot of cases till later would be very good. We'll know more about the virus, we'll know more about treatment, health services will be better prepared.

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I got an acquaintance on facebook convinced the government are letting Coronavirus turn into an epidemic as some sort of ethnic cleansing in the UK

Why would the tories wish to kill off their only source of support. The over 80s?

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

That's not the point. The point is stopping too many people getting it early.

The number of cases isn't the concern here, it's the concentration of that number. Delaying a lot of cases till later would be very good. We'll know more about the virus, we'll know more about treatment, health services will be better prepared.

That's... literally what I've said. Do you know what "slowed" means?

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Gaz said:

That's... literally what I've said. Do you know what "slowed" means?

Depends what you mean when you say 'will not work'. If it keeps the heat off the emergency services until they're better prepared, then it has worked.

4 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

Stages of welshbairn.

1. We're doooomed! Doooooooooomed!

Let's ignore the death statistics showing far greater dangers to peoples lives than this virus. 

Bet you have a cupboard stashed full of loo roll.

^^^hasn't got to stage 3 yet.

2 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

We don't really have much of a clue what the 'death statistics' are for this, and we probably won't until it is pretty much over. 

2 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Depends what you mean when you say 'will not work'. If it keeps the heat off the emergency services until they're better prepared, then it has worked.

I said containment won't work. I said it will slow it down, not stop it.

Guest JTS98
7 minutes ago, BawWatchin said:

You do realise that this is added to all the other dangers to people's lives? It's lots of extra people who will die who wouldn't have otherwise died.

Your argument is like saying drink-driving isn't a big deal because smoking kills more people.

Up in the big Tesco in Cumbernauld yesterday, two whole sections of the store were completely empty. Toilet roll, and, I kid you not, Auntie Bessie’s frozen Yorkshire puddings. Seriously, what’s going on? Defrost the puddings to use as arsewipes?

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

Up in the big Tesco in Cumbernauld yesterday, two whole sections of the store were completely empty. Toilet roll, and, I kid you not, Auntie Bessie’s frozen Yorkshire puddings. Seriously, what’s going on? Defrost the puddings to use as arsewipes?

Quite honestly I could live on Yorkshire puddings for a couple of weeks. They're magnificent.

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Of all the famous folk in the world, it infects one of the least c*nty. FFS.

If you phone up your doctor here with these symptoms......tired, achy, chills....they'll laugh at you and tell you to stay at home for a few days, take paracetamol and drink tea.

No way in a million years will you get the special treatment that the Hanks' got, rushed into a private hospital for immediate testing. For normal people, they'll only test you under a very strict set of circumstances. 

If any of us catch this virus, there's a huge chance that we won't even know about it. We'll just lie on the couch watching Sky Sports and drinking Lemsip until we feel better and go back to work.