Coronavirus (COVID-19)

10 hours ago, RossDee01 said:

It’s absolutely bizarre. You’ve got a serious problem arising and the leader of a country thinks it’s best to let said problem get worse before taking any sort of action. How does that make any sense?

11 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Folk in the US and UK are going to be absolutely done over by this. 

Not because of how dangerous COVID19 is but by how their respective governments deal with this. 

I'm shitting it incase they shut shops etc, I work in retail and can't simply afford to not be working. 

Absolutely brutal. 

The cynic in me can't help but feel they would be happy with the long term side effects of a massive drop in the number of old and infirm people.

A few rumours of Switzerland taking the same approach as Italy and imposing some form of travel ban.

1 minute ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I work in mortgage collections and recoveries because I am a b*****d.

But, as far as we've been telt, it's business as usual to a degree. We can offer up to three months non-payment or payment holiday if someone's finances are adversely affected by coronavirus but we can do the same for almost anything anyway. If someone can't work for two weeks because of a broken leg is no different to someone who can't work because of self isolation.

The only difference is we're actively logging occasions when coronavirus is the cause. Gonna guess this is so the bank can say to the government "this cost us x amount" once it blows over in an effort to recover the money

Will interest still accrue on the balance or will that be suspended for the Corona cases?

25 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

They were just saying on the radio that loads of flights from Europe come to the UK for direct flights to the US. Are they banning Europeans or just flight originating from European hubs? As usual Trump just garbles any old shire.

Can passengers transit through the UK to the USA?

Question from Claire Tuck

2111f286-03e5-4f04-b786-75c1547b89ab.png

Tom Burridge

Transport correspondent

US border officials will be able to ask people for their original point of travel and if you’re connecting via the UK from a Schengen country then your airline ticket will show that.

However, if someone has travelled on the Eurostar from France or with an airline from any Schengen country and then days later catches a flight to the US from Britain, then it’s possible that might not be picked up by US officials as passports are not stamped.

But I certainly wouldn't do it. Anyone who has travelled past US border officials will know that would be a risk and US officials could ask to see your bank records for details of your previous travel.

22 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

In that case are not just better letting this spread and get it over and done with so we can all enjoy our summer holidays?

No.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Will interest still accrue on the balance or will that be suspended for the Corona cases?

Depends on a whole range of stuff. Generally it's only deaths or terminal illness where interest is cancelled but there are exceptions. At the minute we've just to take coronavirus as any other illness.

Got to hand it to the Corona virus. It's so advanced that it can even tell the date. Timed itself to perfection for the start of the new decade.

I’ve read this about 5 times, and still no closer to understanding what the f**k you’re actually trying to say.

I watched that statement live. It's still staggering that the man is president.

He's spent the last few weeks saying 'don't panic', and 'this is all media scaremongering'.

Yesterday he had been given a clear statement and was reading it like a 6 year old. No fucking clue.

And he said trade contact from Europe would also be suspended and then a few hours later admitted it wasn't.

And didn't seem to mention that the uk were not being included - until later.

Incredible.
Their response is better than ours.

Stages of the idiot.

1. What a load of fuss about nothing, it's just the flu.

2. Stopping meetings is stupid, the chances of catching anything is tiny.

3. Why didn't they ban everything from the start? They haven't a clue.

2 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Testing will just not exist in the provinces in either country and probably no point in trying as the healthcare would never be able to cope. The plus side is it may not reach some provincial areas. I am a bit concerned for the wifes’ family as they would be in that boat.

For the main centres and tourist places, Manila, Boracay, Puerto Princesa, Cebu and Jakarta and Bali, I’d be surprised if it hasn’t taken root.

These two scenarios from Singapore kind of answer the question. Sweep, sweep.

Cancelled being in Indonesia two weeks ago as two of the people from one company were down the flu and other virus (but not Covid-19) and cancelled being in Manila/Cavite this week.

Your in that provincial bracket as well, so hope it stays away from your world.

Yep...if we were to face anything like what many countries have faced we would be looking at a healthcare system which was completely swamped.  I fancy my chances where I am as we are, as you say, a little away from the likely hotspots  although we do get a fair few Koreans passing through on their way to Boracay.

Stay Safe! 

[mention=59448]D.A.F.C[/mention] get stuck in!
It's too far gone now, I dont know how bad it needs to get before people realise this is about more than money. I regret saying what I said but theres an element of truth in the way society seems to live hand to mouth.
I'm not looking forward to possibly losing wages either. Its nobodies fault apart from the government who could and should have shut down travel and big events weeks ago.

No. A long drawn out virus is better (for the health professionals) than a short massive spurt.
Will always disagree with this sentiment here (not neccesarily as it pertains to virus transmission)

I’ve read this about 5 times, and still no closer to understanding what the f**k you’re actually trying to say.
Some sort of tin foil hat stuff I imagine.

It really, really isn’t. Isolationist policy - go it alone - is counterproductive. The health experts are absolutely raging at Trump.
Are they allowing major events and people from Madrid to attend them?
The spanish flu showed that isolation works. This country is in total denial.

4 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Utterly amazed if the Schengen countries don't reciprocate. USA has over 1000 cases and is probably undertesting

Is absolutely undertesting - https://herald-review.com/news/state-and-regional/govt-and-politics/pritzker-expresses-frustration-with-feds-as-coronavirus-confirmed-outside-cook/article_f9d4f967-dba2-5a38-bd5c-47ee206d11a6.html

And that's only Illinois; I'd imagine it's worse in more rural states. 

16 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Stages of the idiot.

1. What a load of fuss about nothing, it's just the flu.

2. Stopping meetings is stupid, the chances of catching anything is tiny.

3. Why didn't they ban everything from the start? They haven't a clue.

Stages of welshbairn.

1. We're doooomed! Doooooooooomed!

Let's ignore the death statistics showing far greater dangers to peoples lives than this virus. 

Bet you have a cupboard stashed full of loo roll.

Edited by BawWatchin

Guest JTS98
53 minutes ago, Gaz said:

It would probably have slowed, but not stopped, the spread.

The spread will continue, containment will not work.

That's not the point. The point is stopping too many people getting it early.

The number of cases isn't the concern here, it's the concentration of that number. Delaying a lot of cases till later would be very good. We'll know more about the virus, we'll know more about treatment, health services will be better prepared.