Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest JTS98

A big hub for infections in South East Asia was a huge event held in a mosque in Malaysia a few weeks ago. About 16,000 from numerous countries attended and 500 covid cases in a number of different countries have now been traced to it.

Great news is that 9,000 of these maniacs have now gathered for a similar event in Indonesia, including a bunch of Malaysians and people who have travelled from many other countries.

The Malay Mail today has a quote from one of the attendees saying "We are more afraid of God".

When people's brains work this way, what hope is there?

Edited by JTS98

On 17/03/2020 at 20:51, Geez a Braco said:

First the Orange walks are cancelled and now this  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/51936155   

Bit of a shame.  One of the best bits about Glasgow is the annual celebration of parliamentary democracy.

Still, the estimable Gers Vids on Youtube has been a bit of an uploading star today.  This is one of my favourites:

I muted viking-ton ages ago, but I saw this quoted and it's a perfect example of the kind of mistake an armchair amateur epidemiologist makes:

"Oh and if people are really looking for experts instead of ‘armchair epidemiologists’ to criticise what the UK has been doing, then look no further than the editor of The Lancet’s intervention today:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/mar/18/coronavirus-uk-expert-advice-wrong

There has been a lot more where that came from over recent days. Other academics and health experts haven’t been doing that to throw their government colleagues under a bus but because the government’s response to the crisis has been baffling and alarming in equal measure to those who know what they’re talking about as well."

The editor of The Lancet isn't an epidemiologist. He's a doctor. He believes that it's possible to contain Covid-19, but epidemiologists tell him he's wrong.

I've seen a few medics pass inaccurate comments on Covid-19. Doctors are experts at treating patients. Epidemiologists are experts at how a disease moves through a population and how to tackle it. Doctors understand medicine. Epidemiologists understand statistics, virology, behavioural science, social history and logistics. 

If you can't tell the difference between one science degree and another, you really, really aren't in a position to comment and when you do, you're just adding to the pointless, vacuous racket that's all over social media.

Gie's peace.

Edited by GordonS

54 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

A big hub for infections in South East Asia was a huge event held in a mosque in Malaysia a few weeks ago. About 16,000 from numerous countries attended and 500 covid cases in a number of different countries have now been traced to it.

Great news is that 9,000 of these maniacs have now gathered for a similar event in Indonesia, including a bunch of Malaysians and people who have travelled from many other countries.

The Malay Mail today has a quote from one of the attendees saying "We are more afraid of God".

When people's brains work this way, what hope is there?

I've seen a lot of comment accusing Muslims of being reckless on Covid-19. But here's the Great Mosque in Mecca, which normally has up to 1 million pilgrims around it. Who knew the floor was white? 

Guest JTS98
9 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I've seen a lot of comment accusing Muslims of being reckless on Covid-19. But here's the Great Mosque in Mecca, which normally has up to 1 million pilgrims around it. Who knew the floor was white?

I don't think it's about muslims, although the general religious line of still doing something the authorities have defined as dangerous - and which has proved dangerous just two weeks ago -  because you are 'more afraid of God' is clearly a factor. They're not just putting themselves at risk, the last time they did this they ended up spreading the virus very widely and probably will do again. It's a total lack of consideration for others based on religious belief.

It brings to mind the old joke about the devoutly religious person who knocks back various forms of help while stranded at sea and then upon arriving in Heaven asks God why he didn't save him. God answers, 'I sent you a boat, a helicopter, and a ship. What more did you want?'

So, the religious aspect is quite clearly a factor, but I think it's a general lack of seriousness about health and safety in South East Asia in general. Anyone who has lived in this part of the world will have a bunch of stories about driving, cooking, hygiene, workplace safety, fire regulations, you name it.

Just last night the Malaysian PM had to go on tv one day into a controlled movement order to tell the population to do what they're being asked to do because so many people were treating it like a holiday and going out and about visiting and spreading the virus around. Health and safety awareness in the whole region is miles away from what we are used to in Western Europe.

Edited by JTS98

20 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Woke up this morning with a sore throat, the shivers and a soaring temperature.

Feel like pure shit.

Just want Ollie Shaw back?

Edited by Savage Henry

That statement on the news last night that the U.K. Is very close to an antibody test is massive.

Way more significant than testing millions to see if they've currently got the virus, if you can establish who has had it then many thousands/ millions could in theory return to work and reasonable normality within a matter of weeks, depending upon how the government plans on using it.

I was wondering why we weren't focussed on more testing of the general population, as WHO were calling for, but I guess that is only relevant at that particular time. If you don't currently have it, and you don't know for sure if you've had it already or just had some other illness, then you can't return to public life. Whereas if this test is 100% accurate then you should be able to.

Football behind closed doors within the month lads...

3 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

That statement on the news last night that the U.K. Is very close to an antibody test is massive.

Way more significant than testing millions to see if they've currently got the virus, if you can establish who has had it then many thousands/ millions could in theory return to work and reasonable normality within a matter of weeks, depending upon how the government plans on using it.

I was wondering why we weren't focussed on more testing of the general population, as WHO were calling for, but I guess that is only relevant at that particular time. If you don't currently have it, and you don't know for sure if you've had it already or just had some other illness, then you can't return to public life. Whereas if this test is 100% accurate then you should be able to.

Football behind closed doors within the month lads...

Surely that's only if they believe you can't get it more than once no?

Anyway, what does a lockdown look like in reality? Still able to do things outdoors in open spaces or not?  Will I be shot for going ut on my bike?

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Anyway, what does a lockdown look like in reality? Still able to do things outdoors in open spaces or not?  Will I be shot for going ut on my bike?

I'm now halfway through day 2 of what is a lockdown in all but name in Malaysia.

Basically you stay home unless you have to go and buy essentials from the supermarket.

I haven't been out yet, but yesterday people apparently didn't take it seriously, and the PM went on tv to threaten to make the measures tougher if this continued.

Today, three of my mates have been out to the shop and all confirm there are police everywhere checking people in the street. You need to have your passport on you and it's a good idea to have a shopping bag to show that you're out for a good reason. If they don't believe you, you get a fine.

They're not calling it a complete lockdown to avoid panic, but it is essentially just that. You can only go out to get stuff you need to stay alive.

Guest Moomintroll

Only if you cross paths with PB.

13 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

You are allowed to exercise even if you have the virus apparently. That's for now. 

I take the dog out 3 or 4 times a day. I saw a clip of a guy taking a radiator out for a walk. They just be more stringent.

Cycling should be fine outside of Perthshire for now.

Still loads of folk out jogging. Sweaty plague spreading bastirts 😉

Local Tesco getting less and less in. Down to about 25% of usual lines.  Still plenty of fresh fruit and veg.

Obviously loads of sandwiches too.

Eggs were the latest shelf to be cleaned out though there were a few packs in a cage waiting to be put out.

36 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Woke up this morning with a sore throat, the shivers and a soaring temperature.

Feel like pure shit.

Take it easy m8. Cabin up and hope the bog roll lasts. 

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

You are allowed to exercise even if you have the virus apparently. That's for now. 

I take the dog out 3 or 4 times a day. I saw a clip of a guy taking a radiator out for a walk. They just be more stringent.

Cycling should be fine outside of Perthshire for now.

Still loads of folk out jogging. Sweaty plague spreading bastirts 😉

Just wondering what the official line might be as I don't want to be one of those twats who disregards it. But I don't want to be stuck int he house either. I have plans for what to do with my time, like I want to doa lot of work in my garden this summer whilst this is going down. Unsure if I will even be able to buy stuff though.... Plants etc. The uncertainty coupled witht he media scaremongering really is what causes me most anxiety about all of this.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Just wondering what the official line might be as I don't want to be one of those twats who disregards it. But I don't want to be stuck int he house either. I have plans for what to do with my time, like I want to doa lot of work in my garden this summer whilst this is going down. Unsure if I will even be able to buy stuff though.... Plants etc. The uncertainty coupled witht he media scaremongering really is what causes me most anxiety about all of this.

In all honesty, now is probably the time to get all your towels, plant pots, seeds and whatnot.  Things will get even stricter from now, and I'd imagine gardening centres will be opting to close pretty shortly.