Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, philpy said:

After being sent home today and told that's us for at least 3 weeks, just got a text from the boss saying we could be back tommorow. f**k sakes...

Was wondering about that, where would builders get their sheets of ply for vital works? The chain goes on and on.

2 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

What on god's green earth is this person spending their money on that it comes to this for a month for essentials?!

She's a freelance marketing consultant and thinks she's "bottom of the pile".

Maybe a good dose of reality is what she's needing along with quite a few others !!!

6 minutes ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

How the f**k can your bills come to that amount? The only thing I can think of is school fees. 

My car lease and Council Tax are well in excess of £500 between them.

3 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

What on god's green earth is this person spending their money on that it comes to this for a month for essentials?!

I spend that on Prosecco, essential oils and tanning lotion alone.

Just now, MixuFixit said:

the tax is an essential, the car lease isn't.

OK I’ll stop paying it and if the finance company contacts me I’ll say “MixuFixit from Pie and Bovril says it’s fine”.

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

From the latest BBC story,

"Without the mortgage, my essential bills come to £948 a month," she said. "£94.25 a week [the Universal Credit payment] - how is that going to pay anybody's bills?"

Welcome to the real world love, hard to believe I know, but some people don't even earn £948 a month.........

When I was claiming Carer's Allowance I was getting £62.00 odds a week. Probably a wee bit more than that now.

My pension is £179.80/week.

4 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

you can surrender the lease and buy a banger. spending hundreds a month on a car is a choice not an essential.

You’re talking through your arse.  You can’t ‘surrender’ a lease without the lessors agreement, it’s a legally binding contract

ETA I notice you edited your post once you realised how daft it was.  Even before this there would have been a massive cost to break a lease.

Edited by Granny Danger

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

OK I’ll stop paying it and if the finance company contacts me I’ll say “MixuFixit from Pie and Bovril says it’s fine”.

You're paraphrasing slightly there.

Times like this when my refusal to take out loans (mortgage being the only exception) seemed like a very good idea.   'Save up the money until you can buy it outright' has always been my approach as I've seen what sudden loss of income can do to countless others with car loans etc in the past.

As my dear (aforementioned) granny used to say "if you don't have the money, you can't afford it"

2 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

You're paraphrasing slightly there.

Slightly.  The point still stands though.

There will be folk with all sort of things that they have contracted to pay for that they just can’t stop paying; we will be looking for some sympathy from those who are owed money but it could be in short supply.

10 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

When I was claiming Carer's Allowance I was getting £62.00 odds a week. Probably a wee bit more than that now.

My pension is £179.80/week.

How do you need that amount for soup and adult diapers. 

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

Times like this when my refusal to take out loans (mortgage being the only exception) seemed like a very good idea.   'Save up the money until you can buy it outright' has always been my approach as I've seen what sudden loss of income can do to countless others with car loans etc in the past.

As my dear (aforementioned) granny used to say "if you don't have the money, you can't afford it"

It’s a fair stance to take.  For people wanting/needing new cars on a repeating basis a lease deal is often a far more cost effective option than buying.  I know because I’ve tried both.

I’m on probably my 8th or 9th lease though if I had predicted COVID-19 I might have avoided this one.

Half the trade places in Perth are opening up again today after saying theyd be shutting for weeks 😂

Absolute NAP your big garages will also reopen before the end of the week when they discover the smaller ones are getting all the work.

Absolute farce.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

we will be looking for some sympathy from those who are owed money but it could be in short supply.

My mortgage provider keeps asking me if I would like like to reduce my payments "during this difficult time for many".

Nice people and absolutely nothing to do with making more money as a result of interest on a higher balance, I'm sure.