Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Jenny Harries, deputy CMO for England, has told the Commons Health Select Committee that the decision to abandon testing for anyone but the most ill in late March was down to capacity issues. ‘If we had unlimited capacity we would have done differently’, she said.

At the time she said it was ‘not an appropriate mechanism’ to continue testing on a wider scale.

Following the science?
She also lied on the radio when she said concerts and large gatherings were fine and that science confirmed this.
I posted the link to it earlier in the thread.
They're reaching trump levels of bullshitting now.

1 minute ago, jagfox99 said:

Murica

According to Wiki the population of the state is almost 7 million.  These people are a tiny part of a single percent.

They will get coverage but certainly don’t represent wide public opinion.

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

44 deaths in Scotland.

The lowest total for the first day following a weekend or public holiday since March 31st, and the first time the figure announced on a Tuesday has been equal to or lower than the figure announced on a Saturday since the outbreak began

There's simply no point in looking at single day figures from Scotland. The people providing them don't think they need to accurately reflect reality, so we shouldn't draw any conclusions from them. All we can do is look at longer term trends like seven-day average. Doesn't auger well for tracking and tracing, but this is all we're seemingly  capable of.

39 minutes ago, philpy said:

Everyone (well, not quite everyone) seems to have went from stockpiling bog rolls to building new fences or decking areas. Been overwhelmed by orders for it since we started back yesterday. 

Time you finish?

18 minutes ago, Paco said:

Jenny Harries, deputy CMO for England, has told the Commons Health Select Committee that the decision to abandon testing for anyone but the most ill in late March was down to capacity issues. ‘If we had unlimited capacity we would have done differently’, she said.

At the time she said it was ‘not an appropriate mechanism’ to continue testing on a wider scale.

Following the science?

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I don’t think it will ever be law. What are they going to do, give every older person who doesn’t own a phone a crash course in how to work them? The whole thing is nonsense 

Sounds like a good way of keeping old people (and conspiracy theorists)  at home without obvious age discrimination.

47 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Concerning but expected, sad as well.

I work for a company that supplies medical devices for diabetics and this has been in the private sector for as long as I remember only the parent company changed hands a couple of years ago from a multi national pharmaceutical company to a group of investors who see medical devices as large profit potential. The result of this we will see over the next few years but it doesn't look good. The pensions are suffering badly right now for example as they are tied up in the value of the shares. Ouch! So these 'duties' could be heading the same way at the mercy of private companies who might put profit before people.

After the crisis dies down we will probably have massive changes in our healthcare nationwide, certainly to the structure of the NHS.

There is a massive what will be seen as betrayal coming for the NHS once they are out of the spotlight, even if they see the knives coming there will be little they can do. There has to be massive reforms in our health care but there should always be an element that should always be left free from charge. Will as workers be paying more health insurance if available or will this be an increase in tax or some other contribution? Free care is never really free care anyway.

I fear for the Care Homes that are not private or who take some NHS patients and much of the care system that looks after vulnerable people.

This from Stuart Cosgrove the other day. Care homes should be brought back into public control. And yes, I'm aware it's not 'free' but I'm fine paying taxes. Like you say, it has to be paid for.

Scotland will have to reflect on how it is governed, too. There have been tragic deaths and ingrained failures in the care-home sector, and the Scottish Government must own a portion of the blame, but let us never forget that the big issue is the underlying ideology of social care. In 1993 as much as 95% of care homes were provided by councils and the public sector until two successive Conservative governments changed the game and embraced privatisation, while council budgets were slashed.

Now the statistics have reversed; around 95% of beds are provided by the independent sector. The profit motive and large-scale outsourcing since the early 1990s under both Margaret Thatcher and John Major is the root cause of a problem that has now washed up on Scotland’s shores.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/18420955.no-faith-tories-will-repair-society-crisis/?ref=twtrec

Britain leading Europe. Hurrah for Boris! This is our new VE Day.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain/britain-outpaces-italy-with-europes-highest-official-coronavirus-death-toll-idUKKBN22H0WH

More than 32,000 people in the United Kingdom have died with suspected COVID-19, the highest official toll yet reported in Europe, according to data published on Tuesday.

Britain leading Europe. Hurrah for Boris! This is our new VE Day.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-britain/britain-outpaces-italy-with-europes-highest-official-coronavirus-death-toll-idUKKBN22H0WH
More than 32,000 people in the United Kingdom have died with suspected COVID-19, the highest official toll yet reported in Europe, according to data published on Tuesday.

I believe 90%+ of them had underlying health conditions and of those who didn’t, the vast majority were over 70.

11 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Our council grassed areas need cutting.

I haven't been in town for a month but I guess that the riverbank and the castle hill now resemble a meadow.

The bunnies will be loving it.

Same here. It looks awful. No idea why they can’t cut the grass when the council “boys” are still out and about 

Just now, Snafu said:

That's usually how it works.

My mum can’t record anything off the TV, or work a mobile phone. I’ve shown her numerous times. Good luck to whoever I sent going to teach her on a crash course 😬

Bundesliga set to return on May 15th
But we absolutely, definitely, cannot play behind closed doors in over three months time.
1. The headline may well say that the Bundesliga is coming back on May 15th but the league and the players haven't actually said that. The landers have talked about relaxing some rules and that may well involve the teams going back into proper training rather than just doing individual stuff as they have been doing now. The positive tests of the Koln players won't have helped and there are plenty of questions to be asked about what happens if a player does test positive. For all the excitement about the headline, I'd be amazed if there were games as early as May 15th. End of May, early June? Maybe.

2. German clubs rely on TV money much more than we do, so can absorb the loss of ticket revenue. The domestic Bundesliga TV deal is worth €1.2 billion per year and they have just signed a 6 year contract with ESPN for the US market. They, like the English clubs could easily play games without fans and it would have very little effect on their income.

3. Nobody has said that we "absolutely, definitely" cannot play behind closed doors in three months. We possibly could, if the league could pay for testing (they probably can't), that test kits wouldn't be taken from those going to front line staff (will have to see on that), if the NHS can cope at that time (hopefully they will be able to if the R0 value keeps below 1), if the medical people who need to be at games can be released to go to them, if the police can be deployed to make sure crowds don't congregate outside the grounds, if there can be ways of broadcasting every game...

Other than that though, another top post.

Just now, Donathan said:

I believe 90%+ of them had underlying health conditions and of those who didn’t, the vast majority were over 70.

Exactly. Yet the whole country has had to stop for it. The economy could take years to return to how it was which means job loses and all the things that go along with that (depression, financial hardship etc). To steal from Corbyn, this whole situation was to benefit the few, not the many