Coronavirus (COVID-19)

12 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Loads of people from here go on all inclusive holidays to identikit hotels that could be anywhere in the world, and never leave. It's the ones who pay double to go to one in Mexico rather than Spain who get me.

On a tangent, those holidays are the absolute pits.

Did one a few years ago and never again. Cattle being herded through meal times then left to just get drunk by the pool until eventually shipped back to their UK hovels.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Sounds like hell on earth, going all that way to be surrounded by Brits and Yanks. So no, but I have been to Guanajuato, Oaxaca and Mexico City.

Fair enough. Personally I enjoy them but I can see why people don't

22 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

It's impossible to speculate on what will happen now, but even allowing for the current NRS numbers to almost double (which is incredibly pessimistic), Scotland would be looking to finish the year with around 60,800 total deaths, versus the 54,900 that would have been expected in a normal year.

The question then would be were the measures taken during the pandemic a proportionate response to an extra 16 deaths per day?

And the answer would be yes. 

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

Because, of course, without those measures the death toll would have been much, much higher.

And not just from Covid 19.

39 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

A very cavalier attitude from an ‘at risk’ group. Stay home, stay safe.

I’m talking about when it is deemed safe to go on holiday.

Stay home, follow the thread, stay informed.

22 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

On a tangent, those holidays are the absolute pits.

Did one a few years ago and never again. Cattle being herded through meal times then left to just get drunk by the pool until eventually shipped back to their UK hovels.

It depends what you are willing to pay for I'd say. We had never done this type of holiday before, but went to a luxury all inclusive place in Greece last April and actually enjoyed it. There was a free minibar in your room with proper spirits, they had proper restaurants for the meals, and also a buffet if you wanted, and lots of nice bars scattered around the place. They even had arrangements with local restaurants in the nearby town where you could eat for free in there as part of your all-inclusive.

However, the catch is that this place costs something like £600 a night in the summer - we were only able to afford it because we went before the proper tourist season kicked off, and even then it was something like £170, which is still a lot more than I'd normally consider paying per night.

We also checked it again for the same time this year (not that we'd have eventually been able to go anyway), and it was sitting up at something like £250 even in April.

Edited by craigkillie

14 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

And the answer would be yes. 

I get the impression that even if that number was 10 or 12 your answer would be the same.

Which is fine. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it, however it seems slightly utopian.

57 minutes ago, NewBornBairn said:

Bloody hell, 90 page backlog that I'm certainly not wading through.

Earlier someone posted about this -

1589438290690.png

Thought it was interesting to see who was organising it

Absolute scum bag right wing nra arseholes involved in organising these in the US, so not at all surprised to see the same going on here. 

1 minute ago, Todd_is_God said:

I get the impression that even if that number was 10 or 12 your answer would be the same.

Which is fine. It's your opinion and you're entitled to it, however it seems slightly utopian.

I think it would have been carnage if Boris hadn't mentioned social distancing measures on 15th March followed by lockdown a week later, it's easy to sit back and take you're blinkered view now, Scotland had 300 ICU beds at the start, another fortnight or so without intervention would have saw the NHS swamped IMO. 

1 hour ago, NewBornBairn said:

Bloody hell, 90 page backlog that I'm certainly not wading through.

Earlier someone posted about this -

1589438290690.png

Thought it was interesting to see who was organising it

Someone's having fun on their forum page. :lol:

image.thumb.png.839f501c8f3d51e0e026d023394a52bc.png

Just now, ayrmad said:

I think it would have been carnage if Boris hadn't mentioned social distancing measures on 15th March followed by lockdown a week later, it's easy to sit back and take you're blinkered view now, Scotland had 300 ICU beds at the start, another fortnight or so without intervention would have saw the NHS swamped IMO. 

I'm talking more about people still being barred from seeing friends and family in to almost June etc, and other restrictions looking likely until Autumn at least.

Is that proportionate to an additional death toll which will eventually just sneak in to double figures per day over the course of the year?

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It depends what you are willing to pay for I'd say. We had never done this type of holiday before, but went to a luxury all inclusive place in Greece last April and actually enjoyed it. There was a free minibar in your room with proper spirits, they had proper restaurants for the meals, and also a buffet if you wanted, and lots of nice bars scattered around the place. They even had arrangements with local restaurants in the nearby town where you could eat for free in there as part of your all-inclusive.

However, the catch is that this place costs something like £600 a night in the summer - we were only able to afford it because we went before the proper tourist season kicked off, and even then it was something like £170, which is still a lot more than I'd normally consider paying per night.

We also checked it again for the same time this year (not that we'd have eventually been able to go anyway), and it was sitting up at something like £250 even in April.

Agreed, they vary in quality, although admittedly I've never done a luxury one.

But like you say I think you end up paying way over the odds for an enjoyable one. I'd guess the majority of the time you'll get much better value for money booking flights/accommodation independently rather than going with package deals.

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I'm talking more about people still being barred from seeing friends and family in to almost June etc, and other restrictions looking likely until Autumn at least.

Is that proportionate to an additional death toll which will eventually just sneak in to double figures per day over the course of the year?

Unfortunately our politicians don't carry enough trust to change tack too much now, we've reacted at every turn without even a hint of proactiveness, unfortunately all 4 nations were tied at the hip until the point that it was no longer sensible to do much different. 

Just now, ayrmad said:

Unfortunately our politicians don't carry enough trust to change tack too much now, we've reacted at every turn without even a hint of proactiveness

I think that is absolutely spot on

It's the same with the media. Ask anyone what had happened to infections in Germany since restrictions were first lifted on April 20th and they'd tell you they'd tripled.

They haven't, they have continued to fall.

Germany being forced to reimplement lockdown measures. It hasn't. In fact it plans to ease more.

R apparantly was back over 1. It isn't.

I can't get my head around this type of reporting. People are obviously glued to news reports to see what's happening elsewhere. Why the need to be sketchy or dishonest with it?

Similar when announcing deaths. They still announce x number have "died in the last 24 hours" rather than mentioning a good chunk were from previous days. Absolutely fine to announce the total being recorded, of course, but why not be open and honest about when the deaths actually occurred?

It's no wonder people are as scared as they are.

Edited by Todd_is_God