Coronavirus (COVID-19)

8 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I've just read an article about germany's r number rising to above 1.

Is that not the case?

Did it rise above 1? Yes, for about two days. You can see here how it's bounced around between about 0.7 and 1.1 in the 3 and a bit weeks since restrictions were eased.

The point is most uk media are reporting Germany's easing to have been a disatrous mistake which has seen cases soar. When that isn't the truth.

I don't know why they feel they need to do this.

20200513_185625.jpg

Edited by Todd_is_God

Belgian government have confirmed I can get a badly needed hair cut on Monday. Only by appointment, with a face mask and with social distancing observed where possible.

Though I don't have a face mask, which are supposed to be available from railway station snack vending machines, but aren't.

4 minutes ago, bendan said:

Yes, would mean the 500,000 deaths figure for UK was not far off reality.

That’s 50,000 in Scotland and 45,000 of them would be old folk.

A price worth paying surely.

Cheers Todd_is God. Granny Danger

28 minutes ago, bendan said:

The reporting has been shockingly poor, and it now gets amplified by social media. Like you say, most people seem to think Germany is going back to lockdown with rising numbers. 

The Scottish Government has been playing catch up the whole time. There's not an inkling of any proactive strategy. 

I'm not sure the population at large are at any point going to grasp the relative risk they face. The very old don't seem to get how incredibly dangerous it is for them and younger adults grossly exaggerate the risk. I've got someone on Facebook who posted a photo of people going to work in London who looked mostly in their twenties and thirties, and he said 'many of these people will die'. 

Statistically, that's a massive understatement. The long term mortality rate is 100%.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

That’s 50,000 in Scotland and 45,000 of them would be old folk.

A price worth paying surely.

Cheers Todd_is God. Granny Danger

No, I don't think it is, but the current method seems to be killing them anyway while the rest of us twiddle our thumbs.

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Statistically, that's a massive understatement. The long term mortality rate is 100%.

Absolutely true, and yet it's suddenly entirely unacceptable to the majority of people.

10 minutes ago, bendan said:

Absolutely true, and yet it's suddenly entirely unacceptable to the majority of people.

Given that economic depression and not being able to have fun or see family and friends is seen as worth it by some to prevent 150 deaths per day over the course of a year maybe rising to 166 this should hardly be surprising.

Edited by Todd_is_God

For anyone who feels that a massive recession and horrific disease are not enough misery, the BBC is starting to make Eastenders again. 

Hooray! 

Trump needs to force the liberal snowflakes back to work now so that I can get to see Fargo s4. MAGA.

9 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Given that economic depression and not being able to have fun or see family and friends is seen as worth it by some to prevent 150 deaths per day over the course of a year maybe rising to 166 this should hardly be surprising.

I think it was watching 1500 extra deaths a day even with a lockdown that caused a reaction. 

12 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

I think it was watching 1500 extra deaths a day even with a lockdown that caused a reaction. 

I don't know why you are using a UK figure to make your point here, other than because it's a bigger number.

You should work for a paper

22 minutes ago, coprolite said:

For anyone who feels that a massive recession and horrific disease are not enough misery, the BBC is starting to make Eastenders again. 

Hooray! 

Trump needs to force the liberal snowflakes back to work now so that I can get to see Fargo s4. MAGA.

Can't wait!

Screenshot-2020-04-23-at-20.40.25-80eb-e

3 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Loads of people from here go on all inclusive holidays to identikit hotels that could be anywhere in the world, and never leave. It's the ones who pay double to go to one in Mexico rather than Spain who get me.

Aye but the gear in Mexico is probably worth the extra expense

22 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't know why you are using a UK figure to make your point here, other than because it's a bigger number.

You're the one taking figures for a few weeks and spreading them over a year.

What number of excess deaths per day is acceptable to you in a UK or Scotland only context without spreading them out over a year or whichever time unit you require to make it look small? 

36 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

Who do you work for ?  You sound like a resurrection of a certain malky.

Edited by beefybake

13 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

You're the one taking figures for a few weeks and spreading them over a year.

What number of excess deaths per day is acceptable to you in a UK or Scotland only context without spreading them out over a year or whichever time unit you require to make it look small? 

That's generally how daily averages over a year work.

I said weeks ago a 10% increase was acceptable. If we didn't have a single newsworthy cause, a 10% increase wouldn't raise many eyebrows.

On a day to day basis that is  about166 per day in Scotland up from the usual 151.

It's not about making it look small. It's about being realistic. The headline making death numbers will take place over around 6-8 weeks of the year as a whole. The economic impact of shutting everything down will resonate for years.

Both the Scottish and UK governments have had plenty time to work on finding a way out. It's time to start putting those ways out in motion.

Edited by Todd_is_God