Coronavirus (COVID-19)

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

We used to go all inclusive to Benidorm. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Are you Bobby Knutt?

5 minutes ago, Hymlick Manouvre said:

There is no failure as long as Oor Nicola is at the helm 

Who would you have in her place?

Carlaw? Leonard? Rennie?

4 minutes ago, Hymlick Manouvre said:

There is no failure as long as Oor Nicola is at the helm 

Failure A: The continued 'och mebbe wear a face mask except if you just can't be arsed' advisory. As vouched for by that clownshoes figure Leitch on the basis of his zero-evidence, pop-sociological belief that unlike south-east Asia the people of Scotland have a deep-rooted, cultural aversion to, err, using a really fucking straightforward protective measure in the middle of a pandemic.

Failure B: The continued absence of any sort of credible contact tracing system to even follow up on the data that increased testing can provide.

Neither of those are acceptable for a government of any stripe fully eight weeks into a lockdown and three months since they started to take note of the situation unfolding in Italy.

40 minutes ago, dundeefc1783 said:

Personally I am happy to wait another couple weeks and see what the number is as obvously if we can get that as low as possible before easing restrictions hopefully that will shorten the length in the next stages

As i mentioned earlier the silence from NS on what the trigger for easing restrictions would be is poor. I've yet to see a single graph tracing R in Scotland, yet it is used as the main argument for us being behind England. It quite clearly can't be "nearly 1" else the 7 day trailling new infections wouldn't be bombing.

Another poster pointed out NS said a second week of reductions in death would need to be seen before considering it. We've had that now so I would like to know what her thoughts are now. The ticker along the bottom of the BBC news saying ScotGov is reminding us of the "Stay at Home" message suggests that nothing has changed at all.

My worry with that is that, even if as a result of a longer lockdown now, we were were in a position later to move on stages ahead of the UK as a whole (which may well be logical) we simply wouldn't do it.

The precedent for waiting to see what happens in England first then copying it if it works seems to have been set.

Edited by Todd_is_God

14 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

As i mentioned earlier the silence from NS on what the trigger for easing restrictions would be is poor. I've yet to see a single graph tracing R in Scotland, yet it is used as the main argument for us being behind England. It quite clearly can't be "nearly 1" else the 7 day trailling new infections wouldn't be bombing.

Another poster pointed out NS said a second week of reductions in death would need to be seen before considering it. We've had that now so I would like to know what her thoughts are now. The ticker along the bottom of the BBC news saying ScotGov is reminding us of the "Stay at Home" message suggests that nothing has changed at all.

My worry with that is that, even if as a result of a longer lockdown now, we were were in a position later to move on stages ahead of the UK as a whole (which may well be logical) we simply wouldn't do it.

The precedent for waiting to see what happens in England first then copying it if it works seems to have been set.

We might as well give England 10 or 12 days of a start on easing measures now, makes a change from us being the guinea pigs. 

We'll either be cursing for losing 10 or 12 days on them or mightily relieved we didn't ease restriction in unison, 10 or 12 days is not long for most. 

Edited by ayrmad

12 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

surely that should apply to the rest of the world.

If something works in say New Zealand or Singapore or Timbuctoo and it can be applied in Scotland then go for it.

7 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

Naw, he's deid, I'm just hauf deid.

How do we ken?

You could be deid and somebody is cashing in your pension.

And feverishly posting here in an attempt tae fool the authorities.

It's been known tae happen.

1 minute ago, Wee Willie said:

That would make sense if England were the first country to relax restrictions. But they aren't.

All i'm looking for is a bit of clarity on what the plan is looking like and the criteria. I don't think at this stage that's unreasonable.

3 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

If something works in say New Zealand or Singapore or Timbuctoo and it can be applied in Scotland then go for it.

How do we ken?

You could be deid and somebody is cashing in your pension.

And feverishly posting here in an attempt tae fool the authorities.

It's been known tae happen.

Folk will do anything for a free Fray Bentos and corned beef. 

24 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

We'll either be cursing for losing 10 or 12 days on them or mightily relieved we didn't ease restriction in unison, 10 or 12 days is not long for most. 

In the grand scheme of things, yes. But on the back of her passionate message on Sunday I get the impression the numbers from last week combined with the daily figures / 7 day averages have caught her slightly by surprise.

They contradict almost all reasoning given for taking a different approach.

Early on in this crisis I recall reading that people were subject to different levels of the infection and that frontline healthcare staff had the potential of contracting a ‘heavier dose’ due to their environment.  I’m not sure how scientifically valid this was.
Assuming there is a scientific basis for this I assume administering the virus would allow people to be infected with a light dose allowing antibodies to develop but minimising the impact.

Viral load is the term - if you are repeatedly exposed to coughs and sneezes from infected people you’ll are likely to get more virus particles which will cause a greater impact. If you get a couple on your hand from a handrail, then they stay because you Only washed your hands for ten seconds and then get infected because you touch your face then it’s likely there’s a smaller impact. This obviously depends on other factors, like underlying health etc.

Your second paragraph is basically describing vaccines, although it’s obviously a bit more complicated than that.

15 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

11 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

That would make sense if England were the first country to relax restrictions. But they aren't.

All i'm looking for is a bit of clarity on what the plan is looking like and the criteria. I don't think at this stage that's unreasonable.

You should have quoted my second line to make sense of the first.

I understand what you are saying but me personally am quite content to let our First Minister get on with the job.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

Viral load is the term - if you are repeatedly exposed to coughs and sneezes from infected people you’ll are likely to get more virus particles which will cause a greater impact. If you get a couple on your hand from a handrail, then they stay because you Only washed your hands for ten seconds and then get infected because you touch your face then it’s likely there’s a smaller impact. This obviously depends on other factors, like underlying health etc.

Your second paragraph is basically describing vaccines, although it’s obviously a bit more complicated than that.

Thank you, yes load was the term.  I’m sure vaccination methodology is very complicated.

2 minutes ago, Wee Willie said:

I... personally am quite content to let our First Minister get on with the job.

This is the thing. If the roles were reversed BJ would be getting pelters on here.

I like NS, I like the SNP, but that doesn't mean I automatically think everything they do is right

8 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

This is the thing. If the roles were reversed BJ would be getting pelters on here.

I like NS, I like the SNP, but that doesn't mean I automatically think everything they do is right

Boris deserves the pelters for his continual Vicky Pollard tribute act, I'm not even convinced he knows what he means at times. 

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Surely our very own super genius virginton should be on the panel, his superior intellect would have this sorted pronto.

She's just a wee lassie who should be doon the park drinking mad dog with her pals, a strange choice.