Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Guest JTS98
2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Yeah, for some definitely it's a goer. But a lot of people really need to reflect on whether they genuinely believe their employer is going to just put that level of trust in them to work unsupervised for the same amount of money but letting them be at home all day. 

Bearing in mind that most employers (via the middle management, promoted beyond their ability wankers who will be making these calls) grudge every pound you get and see you as the enemy. It's not happening in the way a lot folk think. 

Definitely heavily dependent on your situation. Some people will be turkeys voting for Christmas and not realise it, but I genuinely love it.

I'm secure in my job as long as the institutions I work with stay afloat, and my working day at home is miles better than being in the office. I get more done, I don't need to actually commute, I can build in natural breaks and do exercise or listen to music during the day.

Honestly. It's excellent.

Definitely heavily dependent on your situation. Some people will be turkeys voting for Christmas and not realise it, but I genuinely love it.
I'm secure in my job as long as the institutions I work with stay afloat, and my working day at home is miles better than being in the office. I get more done, I don't need to actually commute, I can build in natural breaks and do exercise or listen to music during the day.
Honestly. It's excellent.
I envy you in some ways. In other ways getting out to work has been a bit of a relief [emoji23]

But aye, in general caution is to be used when offering stuff up to your employer because it feels like a short term benefit. Like I say I have never had a job that it was even an option and not sure if I ever will, but turkeys/xmas is the correct analogy for a lot of folk.

Guest JTS98
7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I envy you in some ways. In other ways getting out to work has been a bit of a relief emoji23.png

But aye, in general caution is to be used when offering stuff up to your employer because it feels like a short term benefit. Like I say I have never had a job that it was even an option and not sure if I ever will, but turkeys/xmas is the correct analogy for a lot of folk.

I'd brought it up before with my employer and not had any luck.

Won't bore anybody with the details (will actually), but my job basically involves doing work for other institutions through my employer and occasionally independently of them.

A lot of my day is spent working on projects that take months and need to be done, but don't necessitate actually being in the office. I'm kind of in the perfect work from home situation. I can still contact all the people I need to contact, I can still access everything I need to access, and the rest of it is in my head. Easy.

I could really work from anywhere, but you need to know what I know to do the job.

I think the people at risk will be those in admin jobs that could well be done remotely by someone in a lower wage country. They're in the process of outing themselves as not needed physically in the office, and, yes, that may come back to haunt a lot of people.

For now they might as well enjoy it, mind you. Not much else for it.

Edited by JTS98

3 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I'd brought it up before with my employer and not had any luck.

Won't bore anybody with the details (will actually), but my job basically involves doing work for other institutions through my employer and occasionally independently of them.

A lot of my day is spent working on projects that take months and need to be done, but don't necessitate actually being in the office. I'm kind of in the perfect work from home situation. I can still contact all the people I need to contact, I can still access everything I need to access, and the rest of it is in my head. Easy.

I could really work from anywhere, but you need to know what I know to do the job.

I think the people at risk will be those in admin jobs that could well be done remotely by someone in a lower wage country. They're in the process of outing themselves as not needed physically in the office, and, yes, that may come back to haunt a lot of people.

For now they might as well enjoy it, mind you. Not much else for it.

Big companies have been offshoring admin jobs for years, so it’s nothing new. As the standard of living(wages) increases in these low wage economies some UK companies have been bringing jobs back.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Gallant Pioneer said:

Big companies have been offshoring admin jobs for years, so it’s nothing new. As the standard of living(wages) increases in these low wage economies some UK companies have been bringing jobs back.

It's not just the wage-rises, in some cases it's been the quality of work or the customer response to it.

When I was a student I had a call centre job that had been brought back from India because customers didn't like it.

For jobs that don't face or talk to a customer and just need a certain level of organisation and common sense, it's not inconceivable that companies start to think that they can cut down on office space costs as well as employing people on a fraction of the salary in another country. Customers will never know.

Just now, JTS98 said:

It's not just the wage-rises, in some cases it's been the quality of work or the customer response to it.

When I was a student I had a call centre job that had been brought back from India because customers didn't like it.

For jobs that don't face or talk to a customer and just need a certain level of organisation and common sense, it's not inconceivable that companies start to think that they can cut down on office space costs as well as employing people on a fraction of the salary in another country. Customers will never know.

Agreed but my point was that it has been happening for years already. My experience from India was that people were great following a defined set of instructions but had absolutely no ability to think on their feet. As they were so remote there was no company loyalty and people moved jobs every 9 months.

3 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I'd argue that the reason it had been brought back wasn't *in whole* because customers didn't like it, but that *enough* of the customers took their business elsewhere because of it.

Companies don't care if their customers don't like Indian call centres as long as the savings made from opening a call centre in Mumbai outweigh the number of people who take their business elsewhere because of it.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I'd argue that the reason it had been brought back wasn't *in whole* because customers didn't like it, but that *enough* of the customers took their business elsewhere because of it.

Companies don't care if their customers don't like Indian call centres as long as the savings made from opening a call centre in Mumbai outweigh the number of people who take their business elsewhere because of it.

Well, I wasn't in the board meeting to decide it. But we were told it as part of our training to do with customer service.

We were the second bunch of hires after the operation had been moved back to Scotland having had a spell of being based in India. Customers not liking it was the reason given. Obviously mattered enough to them to do it.

In the covid recovery years, at least for a while, folk will hopefully* be quite diligent about punishing companies who f**k over their employees to try and get back to pre covid profit.

*they wont, they will all to Wetherspoons the day it opens, the fucking c***s

I’ve no idea how they calculate the R number, and I wouldn’t say the findings here are shown in the daily cases reported, but it appears to be on the surge in England. The North West median is just above 1, and the South West is at 1.

Additionally London’s R was shown at 0.4 last time this data was published, now 0.95.

R is of course almost impossible to quantify but it doesn’t look great, unfortunately.

The government advice is clear and sensible. 
They don't want you playing golf. This is still a serious health situation and the more people that come into contact with other people, the more dangerous it is for everyone.

Pozbaird you seriously need to have a lie down. Using shared bathrooms is one of the most high risk situations for spreading a virus. They're clearly trying to discourage anyone from using them - but if you CAN play golf, or bowls or fishing, without sharing bathroom surfaces - then crack on.

So why are supermarkets allowed to open theirs. Seems daft that I can have a pee / wash my hands in a toilet where potentially 500+ people a day could visit but not in a private club with a fraction of that number. Toilets closed in train stations and council facilities but Morrisons ir Asda are safe to use, nonsense !!!

Guest JTS98
23 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:
2 hours ago, pandarilla said:
The government advice is clear and sensible. 
They don't want you playing golf. This is still a serious health situation and the more people that come into contact with other people, the more dangerous it is for everyone.

Pozbaird you seriously need to have a lie down. Using shared bathrooms is one of the most high risk situations for spreading a virus. They're clearly trying to discourage anyone from using them - but if you CAN play golf, or bowls or fishing, without sharing bathroom surfaces - then crack on.

So why are supermarkets allowed to open theirs. Seems daft that I can have a pee / wash my hands in a toilet where potentially 500+ people a day could visit but not in a private club with a fraction of that number. Toilets closed in train stations and council facilities but Morrisons ir Asda are safe to use, nonsense !!!

Because going to a supermarket is a necessity and having people pish themselves would be pretty rubbish.

Going to a golf club is not a necessity and they are clearly trying to discourage people from doing it.

3 minutes ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Is there not a law that if places serve food they need to provide toilets?

Public toilets are horrible, coronavirus or not.
Again, with good personal hygiene and being careful not to touch anything you won't catch any disease.

If you're having a pee it would be difficult not to touch something...

Golf isn't necessary but as far as exercise goes it's about as ideal as it can get as there is ample room for social distancing. 

The club is just minimising risk by shutting the toilets tbh. At any rate the toilet is useless after your round has begun and before it ends. 

Going for a walk is now at the stage where it's just  fucking boring. 

Edited by Michael W

1 hour ago, Paco said:

I’ve no idea how they calculate the R number, and I wouldn’t say the findings here are shown in the daily cases reported, but it appears to be on the surge in England. The North West median is just above 1, and the South West is at 1.

Additionally London’s R was shown at 0.4 last time this data was published, now 0.95.

R is of course almost impossible to quantify but it doesn’t look great, unfortunately.

Lady on BBC there was pretty much saying R is pretty irrelevant if infections are still dropping.

Also that the majority of R data is weeks old 🙈

You'd think they could pick a line and stick with it tbh.

Matt Hancock telling us not to go to the Black Lives Matter protests this weekend. I can’t tell whether that will discourage people or actually make them want to attend because doing the opposite of what the Tories ask is usually the correct action. Tricky.

Edited by Jambomo