Coronavirus (COVID-19)

I saw an interesting thread on Twitter about face masks comparing what people said early in the pandemic to later.

In the first week of March, here is Dr William Schaffner, professor of infectious diseases at Vanderbilt University, on masks.

IMG_1060.jpg

Here he is in June.

IMG_1062.jpg

From the same initial article, here is Lynn Bufka, a director of the American Psychological Association, on the “superstition” of mask wearing.

IMG_1061.jpg

And here is the same Lynn Bufka in June, giving advice about, er, how to control your anger when you see people who aren’t wearing masks [emoji848]

IMG_1063.jpg
IMG_1064.jpg

I’m sure it’ll be easy to find similar for U.K. people about masks and just about everything else this pandemic has affected.

Fucking hell I've just realised that guy who survived covid in Vietnam in a coma for 3 months was my best pal at primary school. Fucking hell. I thought he'd been a bit quiet on Facebook and now I think about it, he did post from a hospital there ages ago. Must have been before it got proper bad. 

3 hours ago, peasy23 said:

Gove has just said on the Marr show this morning that they won't be made compulsory in shops in England.

"Mask wearing in shops and enclosed spaces will be encouraged but won't be mandatory."

Which is utterly pointless and cowardly. Basically they know people should wear them but they're not going to tell them to. Shades of the messaging in March 

Edited by madwullie

3 hours ago, Paco said:

There’s going to be some terrific squirming from the gammons when Johnson sends out a grunt like Hancock or Sharma to announce face masks are mandatory in English shops next week.

They can brass it out like their hick cousins stateside

0 deaths in last 24 hours
19 new cases
That's a high number of cases again.

Hmmm.

Is there any calls for them to publish more about the positive cases? Or is that never happening due to confidentiality?

I trust the Scottish govt to be on top of this so i guess it doesn't matter. Wee bit concerning though. Hopefully there's a simple explanation.

4 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

That's a high number of cases again.

Hmmm.

Is there any calls for them to publish more about the positive cases? Or is that never happening due to confidentiality?

I trust the Scottish govt to be on top of this so i guess it doesn't matter. Wee bit concerning though. Hopefully there's a simple explanation.

Number of tests seem to have more than doubled since Thursday.

To do a trump more tests = more cases. 

12 were in Glasgow and Clyde today. 

You would expect to see more cases in a larger area like Glasgow and the surrounding area too I’d imagine.

Ok. That's reassuring.

I'd like to know how many new cases relate to hospitals and care homes, but like i said, i have faith that they'll be on top of the situation.

It's inevitable the number of cases will rise when people are allowed to do more tbh. I don't think less than 20 cases a day in a country of 5.5 million is really too much to be concerned about either. If that becomes 50 a day in a couple of days then yes it may be time for some concern. 

I suppose there are three things potentially at work behind caseloads.

1. Given that about 2/3rds of all cases today were in Glasgow, we might be looking at a cluster.

2. The increased number of testing, either by testing more people overall or carrying out more tests per person to remove false negatives may be catching more cases. The nubmer reported has probably always been a bit of an undersell.

3. We are seeing leakage from the move into phase 2. 

The Friday numbers are usually a bit higher (something to do with the way the drive through numbers are reported) and todays numbers are geographically concentrated. So it's maybe a combination of all of the above. No point worrying about it yet, until we have more data in the coming days.

3 hours ago, madwullie said:

Fucking hell I've just realised that guy who survived covid in Vietnam in a coma for 3 months was my best pal at primary school. Fucking hell. I thought he'd been a bit quiet on Facebook and now I think about it, he did post from a hospital there ages ago. Must have been before it got proper bad. 

Any particular reason you red dotted this post @Pcplum

43 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Any particular reason you red dotted this post @Pcplum

He's obviously an alias or a previously banned poster, so I wouldn't let it concern you, he's unlikely to reply. If you do get back in touch with your old friend, it would be interesting to know how he's doing, heard a very scary story on the World Service about the potential long term effects of Covid, not even severe cases. Might be a minority but there are people who are still struggling 6 months after getting infected, and there's no way of telling how much longer it could last. I'm going to carry on being very careful, basic precautions that is, it would be a bit daft to stay totally self isolating in the Highlands even if we are getting invaded by plague carrying weegies.