Coronavirus (COVID-19)

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't understand why they have chosen to report these figures rounded to the nearest 100 every time - their model will presumably be giving them more precision than that so why not provide the actual numbers?

At a guess it could be because they are only estimations, and as such giving precise numbers doesn't really add value. Estimating a precise daily number, then using that number to extrapolate a precise infectious pool is probably not best practice.

I've no doubt once they get below 250 we will start to see rounding to the nearest 50, and below 100 the nearest 10.

2 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

At a guess it could be because they are only estimations, and as such giving precise numbers doesn't really add value. Estimating a precise daily number, then using that number to extrapolate a precise infectious pool is probably not best practice.

I've no doubt once they get below 250 we will start to see rounding to the nearest 50, and below 100 the nearest 10.

If you're estimating a number from some sort of model and also going to the lengths of providing an upper and lower bound on that estimate to indicate how much uncertainty is associated with that estimate, then it makes sense to use the actual figures rather than adding in an additional layer of error by rounding them.

49 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Not sure if this makes you sound more like a paedophile or a beastiality-er

I have a sudden desire to find out what the actual word for this is, but f**k typing "what do you call someone who is into bestiality" into google.

2 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I have a sudden desire to find out what the actual word for this is, but f**k typing "what do you call someone who is into bestiality" into google.

A convict?

The UK again producing a ridiculously unbelieveable new deaths figure

Scotland: 0

Wales: 0

N. Ireland: 0

NHS England: 16

Public Health England non-hospital deaths: 107

If 87% of genuine covid deaths in England are happening outside of hospitals I will eat my hat.

Edited by Todd_is_God

8 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I can only comment for General Practice and the DN's that use our building but we are absolutely swamped and have been for months.

I would suggest stress levels and burnouts are pretty high at present in our area from those I talk too.

By the time I'm done on a Friday my brain is melted and feel under pressure.  The amount of mental health consulatitons has quadrupled.

The fact the so many services are on hold has massively increased the pressure in General Practice and we are bumbling along with the same amount of staff or in fact less, but increased workload.   Its not great for staff and its especially not great for patients as we are firefighting.  

Will be interesting to see how things go as services open up but the backlog and after effects will take some amount of clearing.

Difficult times ahead health service wise.

I need a beer (when I finish).

I take it back then

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

You've jumped into a conversation late, mate.

The claim was 6 hours 'after' the end of the school day (before lockdown).

In terms of lockdown hours there was a huge disparity. I'd say the average for teachers in secondary was 3-4 hours actual work per day (some folk can sit in front of a laptop and time will fly by but in terms of actual solid work).

Guidance and management did much more, obviously, and so did normal teachers who decided to volunteer for some of the extra tasks that were available.

And then there's the shifts in the hubs.

You're absolutely right that English and maths had more to do, but it wasn't really too do with constant tasks (unless you chose to do that). It was more that many parents (understandably) focused much more on those two subjects, and so history teachers like me were getting much less work in (for s1 and s2 it was penny numbers, and more like 30-50% from s3 onwards).

All fair enough. Prior to lockdown my work during non-school hours was variable, depending on the time of year. Nowhere near 6 hours, except when out on a DofE expedition.

During lockdown my son was given Maths which was old hat to him and I told him to ignore it, and I let his guidance teacher know that he'd be focusing on other subjects which had provided new content. When the change from s2 to s3 came around there was the subject change but still no new maths. Fortunately he had Chemistry and Physics to get stuck into. Neither of my kids were able to submit everything given my own work commitments, but the impression I get is that some kids did next to nothing.

57 minutes ago, Tynierose said:

I can only comment for General Practice and the DN's that use our building but we are absolutely swamped and have been for months.

I would suggest stress levels and burnouts are pretty high at present in our area from those I talk too.

By the time I'm done on a Friday my brain is melted and feel under pressure.  The amount of mental health consulatitons has quadrupled.

The fact the so many services are on hold has massively increased the pressure in General Practice and we are bumbling along with the same amount of staff or in fact less, but increased workload.   Its not great for staff and its especially not great for patients as we are firefighting.  

Will be interesting to see how things go as services open up but the backlog and after effects will take some amount of clearing.

Difficult times ahead health service wise.

I need a beer (when I finish).

Mental health time bomb and that was before this.

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

Where is yours that they are not?

Ignoring everything else you’ve come up with in this thread, there’s nothing more annoying than when someone comes out with some unsubstantiated bullshit and then asks someone to provide evidence to disprove their shite. The emphasis is on the person who came out with the initial statement to provide evidence to prove it, not for others to disprove.

38 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

Neither of my kids were able to submit everything given my own work commitments, but the impression I get is that some kids did next to nothing.

I'd be interested in the comparisons, as I'm a primary teacher, but I had quite a few of my class doing no work at all, or if they did do anything it was very quick tasks and sporadic.  I probably only had a third who submitted work daily and who responded when I would get in contact.  One thing that was very frustrating was some parents complained about there being too much work, and others complained there wasn't enough.  Trying to encourage parents/kids to submit set work for marking was also frustrating and it definitely tailed off towards the end of the term (granted, the volume of school work tends to trail off towards the end of the year).  The good thing is I will be staying with my class for next session, so once we're back we can just get straight back into it.  

Edited by super_carson

14 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Ignoring everything else you’ve come up with in this thread, there’s nothing more annoying than when someone comes out with some unsubstantiated bullshit and then asks someone to provide evidence to disprove their shite. The emphasis is on the person who came out with the initial statement to provide evidence to prove it, not for others to disprove.

I don't believe that extends to having an opinion or an interpretation of something. If you think i'm mistaken, show me why.

Two people can hold/form a polar opposite opinion on something without any problem. But if one person demands the other must provide evidence to support their opinion, they should be prepared to do the same.

I, at least, explained what I had based my interpretation on.

In this particular case, despite not being reflective of every sector of the NHS, @Tynierose's first-hand account holds more weight than either my opinion, or @Melanius Mullarkey's "it's you therefore you are wrong" mantra.

Edited by Todd_is_God

17 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I don't believe that extends to having an opinion or an interpretation of something. If you think i'm mistaken, show me why.

Two people can hold/form a polar opposite opinion on something without any problem. But if one person demands the other must provide evidence to support their opinion, they should be prepared to do the same.

I, at least, explained what I had based my interpretation on.

In this particular case, despite not being reflective of every sector of the NHS, @Tynierose's first-hand account holds more weight than either my opinion, or @Melanius Mullarkey's "it's you therefore you are wrong" mantra.

😂 absolutely rinsed.

Looks like Boris is finally planning to go after the unfit, Covid-susceptible fatties with such stunning decisive health measures like, err, curbs on advertising. Because that way of course they'll suddenly forget that their nearest McDonalds exists for the next six months.

I'd suggest that we instead set up (massively reinforced) human-sized hamster wheels in restaurants and takeaways to at least get a solid 20 minutes of exercise out of the porkers per visit. 

13 minutes ago, virginton said:

Looks like Boris is finally planning to go after the unfit, Covid-susceptible fatties with such stunning decisive health measures like, err, curbs on advertising. Because that way of course they'll suddenly forget that their nearest McDonalds exists for the next six months.

I'd suggest that we instead set up (massively reinforced) human-sized hamster wheels in restaurants and takeaways to at least get a solid 20 minutes of exercise out of the porkers per visit. 

I heard about this, and whilst I don't disagree that the healthier, leaner you are the more likely you are to fight off Covid, it's a bit mental to be encouraging everyone to be dining out three nights of the week next month on the chancellor's tab.

Edited by Steven W

I heard about this, and whilst I don't disagree that the healthier, leaner you are the more likely you are to fight off Covid, it's a bit mental to be encouraging everyone to be dining out three nights of the week next month on the chancellor's tab.
If only there was previous form re the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing at UK government level.......