Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Class can clearly change over time.

My Papa was an engineer and college lecturer. My Gran didn't have to work a day in their life. They raised three kids and had a very comfortable lifestyle.

My Mum married a bricklayer and worked part-time as a bank clerk. We lived in an ex-council house (that my mum and dad were able to buy through help from said grandparents) and both my parents smoked while my sister and I were younger. We weren't well off.

My Dad worked his way up and was a construction manager when he died. I went to university, as did my wife, both of us are teachers. Should my wife decide to go back to work full-time (we have three kids) we'd be very, very comfortable. As things stand we do just fine with her working part-time.

I think it's clear that my grandparents were a different social class to my parents, my parents' social class changed over their lifestyles, and despite being raised in a working-class household I would be classed as middle-class.

I've never understood why people claim that they're still working-class when they and their spouse are pulling in near six-figures and living in a detached four-bedroomed house on a 10-year old development.

14 minutes ago, Gaz said:

I've never understood why people claim that they're still working-class when they and their spouse are pulling in near six-figures and living in a detached four-bedroomed house on a 10-year old development.

Same reason as Old Firm fans claim referees are biased against their side. People like the idea that they've got where they are against the odds and 'nobody ever gave me anything'.

I know oil and gas people who are literally millionaires who love to bang on about this kind of thing. Sports cars and houses around the world, but bang on about being working class. I suppose it's natural.

Edited by JTS98

Class can clearly change over time.
My Papa was an engineer and college lecturer. My Gran didn't have to work a day in their life. They raised three kids and had a very comfortable lifestyle.
My Mum married a bricklayer and worked part-time as a bank clerk. We lived in an ex-council house (that my mum and dad were able to buy through help from said grandparents) and both my parents smoked while my sister and I were younger. We weren't well off.
My Dad worked his way up and was a construction manager when he died. I went to university, as did my wife, both of us are teachers. Should my wife decide to go back to work full-time (we have three kids) we'd be very, very comfortable. As things stand we do just fine with her working part-time.
I think it's clear that my grandparents were a different social class to my parents, my parents' social class changed over their lifestyles, and despite being raised in a working-class household I would be classed as middle-class.
Class, if there's such a thing, is what you feel.

The flipside is we're probably not far away from you and partner in terms of income but we are in a two bedroom ex-council flat. Not because we have to be but because we're happy in it.

Plenty of people with well paid jobs live in modest homes and drive modest cars and plenty live in big new builds and drive expensive cars. That in itself surely does not define class?

Class is about much more than what's in the bank and where you live. I do understand that in theory it can become fluid - someone brought up in a mining village, for example, may go on to be a champion at Equestrian. It's about habits as well - if you tend to have lots of dinner parties and spend your spare time playing Golf or Tennis, does that make you middle class?

Can only working class people play fives or go to the local Civil Service club for a pint?

The reality is there are two classes - the rich and the poor. If the middle classes exist at all, then they fall nearer the latter.

My family background was neither rich nor poor ( modest private house one car holidays to spain, but very light on any other luxurys) i earn a good wage at one of the better emplyers in the area but i am somewhat of an outsider as I don’t/ didn’t have a relative or close family friend working here when I started! Where do i fit in o wise one?

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

As the seething Inverclyde revolutionary popular front states above, it's a combination of wealth and employment status that defines your social class.  Like any definition there are fuzzy edges but the general standard is the ABC1 used by most market research companies.  

Grade Social class Chief income earner's occupation Frequency in 2008[3] Frequency in 2016[4]
A upper middle class Higher managerial, administrative or professional 4% 4%
B middle middle class Intermediate managerial, administrative or professional 23% 23%
C1 lower middle class Supervisory or clerical and junior managerial, administrative or professional 29% 28%
C2 skilled working class Skilled manual workers 21% 20%
D working class Semi-skilled and unskilled manual workers 15% 15%
E non working State pensioners, casual and lowest grade workers, unemployed with state benefits only 8% 10%

That's daft, an aircraft fitter would go below a office clerk.

45 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

There's nothing impossible.

That literally makes no sense.

You can spell it out as many times as you wish but it doesn't make you correct.

I honestly just can't be arsed with your stupid views. I feel like even writing this is a waste of my time.

Then feel free to log off instead of posting ahistorical drivel on a forum and having a tantrum whenever you get called on it. Next. 

For what's it's worth I'm pretty well versed in the world of Politics and Sociological thinking. I know what I'm talking about, I've conversed with enough scholars and thinkers and I've read more than one book.

So well versed that when prompted to name a single 'scholar' who has dismissed the entire concept of social class, you can cite nobody at all.

Seems legit. 

You need to open your mind - or maybe a book - and start to realise that there's a whole lot more to the social world than some structural systems that have been put in place to essentially keep people piped down.

Another chump who thinks that the likes of Marx were really working for the bourgeois interest all along I see. Try reading those books to dispel yourself of this absolute fucking nonsense belief before returning with more of your pish.  

Edited by vikingTON

45 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

For what's it's worth I'm pretty well versed in the world of Politics and Sociological thinking. I know what I'm talking about, I've conversed with enough scholars and thinkers and I've read more than one book.

Me irl when I match with an Arts student on Tinder

Another chump who thinks that the likes of Marx were really working for the bourgeois interest all along I see. Try reading those books to dispel yourself of this absolute fucking nonsense belief before returning with more of your pish.  
I've read his works. And many others.

I'm sick of you because you are so narrow minded. I've already explained as much.

16 hours ago, Donathan said:

I keep seeing the term “should not” used when talking about the Glasgow visiting restrictions. Does that mean it’s just guidance and therefore not legally enforceable?

Unless they had a bobby outside every house checking ID, how could it be "enforceable"?

2 minutes ago, scottmcleanscontacts said:

It clearly isn't.

Watch the scene from The Wire where Colvin takes the corner kids to the fancy restaurant. That will sum up the idea class is what you feel.

So as citation for your absolute nonsense views on the subject you refuse to mention any actual academic or scholarly works, and can only point to a single scene in a good drama series... Very cool

14 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

She put all her eggs in the #ZeroCovid basket, and now those eggs have smashed, is making it up as they go along.

This post becomes even better if you read it in the voice of Alan Partridge.

16 hours ago, Donathan said:

I keep seeing the term “should not” used when talking about the Glasgow visiting restrictions. Does that mean it’s just guidance and therefore not legally enforceable?

No - it's used as an imperative in this way just like Thou Shalt Not Kill.  

14 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

It's been a tough year for all of us. Now, more than ever, Christmas is all about family.

*heart-rending animation of granny getting fired into the sun plays*

*slowed down version of a rock song by a husky-voiced female vocalist accompanies*

Stay safe this Christmas with Tesco x

I would copyright that if I were you.

So as citation for your absolute nonsense views on the subject you refuse to mention any actual academic or scholarly works, and can only point to a single scene in a good drama series... Very cool
Alright, come on.

How are these views nonsense? That reply was in relation to the poser that class isn't what you feel.

The Wire is used in Academia, by the way, as a Sociological work. That scene with Colvin sums up perfectly the way people feel about their class.

People like Weber, Becker and Codore have spoken about a classless society.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
The forum has aged somewhat in recent years so you get fewer of the teenagers you used to get who'd create accounts and then confidently spout nonsense untethered from any reality like the above for a few months until they grew up. I'm not ashamed to say it's how I started out. I sincerely hope that's what's going on here and you're not a grown man who thinks that was a good argument. 
Such is the profound Sociological nature of that particular programme it is widely used in Academia.