Coronavirus (COVID-19)

Dont think it really matters a f**k what Marx wrote about class, or anyone else. It's a completely fabricated man made concept, nothing but opinions whether from from the greatest scholar to the football forum average joe and as such, in exactly the same way as with religion, theres absolutely no issue with having the opinion that it's a load of absolute shite.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Dont think it really matters a f**k what Marx wrote about class, or anyone else. It's a completely fabricated man made concept, nothing but opinions whether from from the greatest scholar to the football forum average joe and as such, in exactly the same way as with religion, theres absolutely no issue with having the opinion that it's a load of absolute shite.

You could say the same about countries. Or businesses. Or football clubs.

None of those things 'exist' but they're still very important in how the world works. Class is important as long as enough people agree that it is.

7 minutes ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

Shocked to the Corrs that a boomer hasn't posted that Morecambe and Wise sketch about class yet.

@Jacksgranda

Are you not thinking of this The Two Ronnies Show - The 'I Know My Place' sketch - This memorable sketch on the subject of class had the 6ft 5in John Cleese looking down on the 5ft 8in Ronnie Barker, who looked up to Cleese but down on 5ft 1in Ronnie Corbett. S) https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00hhrwl

Edited by Jacksgranda

As the seething Inverclyde revolutionary popular front states above, it's a combination of wealth and employment status that defines your social class.  Like any definition there are fuzzy edges but the general standard is the ABC1 used by most market research companies.  
Grade Social class Chief income earner's occupation Frequency in 2008[3] Frequency in 2016[4]
A upper middle class Higher managerial, administrative or professional 4% 4%
B middle middle class Intermediate managerial, administrative or professional 23% 23%
C1 lower middle class Supervisory or clerical and junior managerial, administrative or professional 29% 28%
C2 skilled working class Skilled manual workers 21% 20%
D working class Semi-skilled and unskilled manual workers 15% 15%
E non working State pensioners, casual and lowest grade workers, unemployed with state benefits only 8% 10%
Lot of pish used by the ruling classes and aristocracy to divide and conquer the working class. If you need to work to maintain your standard of living? Guess what? You're working class.

You could say the same about countries. Or businesses. Or football clubs.
None of those things 'exist' but they're still very important in how the world works. Class is important as long as enough people agree that it is.
And various folk find the importance placed in those things you mention utterly ridiculous. Although I would argue that those thing exist in a more tangible sense than class, and their importance to how the world works is a bit different to a completely made up system used to categorise people. Perhals a better example might be being "right wing" and implementing right wing policy is important to the world in exactly the same way, but that doesnt stop me from being able to have the opinion that its fucking shit and wrong.

The idea that because Marx gave his opinion on what class is, that others then cant is utterly laughable.

Categorizing people based on their wealth and state of employment, or by some status of birth right is a minter tbh. Not top of the list of human race minters, but it still is nonetheless. In this country it probably doesnt really mean too much, but there are some countries where being born in the wrong "class" guarantees you a life of shit because there is no social mobility allowed.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

And various folk find the importance placed in those things you mention utterly ridiculous. Although I would argue that those thing exist in a more tangible sense than class, and their importance to how the world works is a bit different to a completely made up system used to categorise people. Perhals a better example might be being "right wing" and implementing right wing policy is important to the world in exactly the same way, but that doesnt stop me from being able to have the opinion that its fucking shit and wrong.

The idea that because Marx gave his opinion on what class is, that others then cant is utterly laughable.

Categorizing people based on their wealth and state of employment, or by some status of birth right is a minter tbh. Not top of the list of human race minters, but it still is nonetheless. In this country it probably doesnt really mean too much, but there are some countries where being born in the wrong "class" guarantees you a life of shit because there is no social mobility allowed.

I don't disagree that it's stupid. Of course it is.

But in an awful lot of societies around the world it's exactly how life works and has tangible real-world impact. Look at the stranglehold the Oxbridge-educated have on the office of Prime Minister in the UK, or on the levels of representation of the privately educated in Parliament.

How many countries (even democracies) around the world have political dynasties. India, Canada, the USA, straight off the bat. Dozens of others. That's class.

It may be a daft thing and a made up thing. But it's about as important a daft thing as you can get in terms of how the world is organised.

Imagine what would have happened without Nicola being here to save us [emoji1317][emoji1317][emoji1317]
20200902_124623.thumb.jpg.4246ea9ea5de7066aed90ffe58dd5dd4.jpg

Genuinely, what is your argument here? Lockdown shouldn’t have happened?

I don’t think anyone operated under the illusion it didn’t do significant harm.

I don't disagree that it's stupid. Of course it is.
But in an awful lot of societies around the world it's exactly how life works and has tangible real-world impact. Look at the stranglehold the Oxbridge-educated have on the office of Prime Minister in the UK, or on the levels of representation of the privately educated in Parliament.
How many countries (even democracies) around the world have political dynasties. India, Canada, the USA, straight off the bat. Dozens of others. That's class.
It may be a daft thing and a made up thing. But it's about as important a daft thing as you can get in terms of how the world is organised.
I know that, and I think it's wrong. It seems amongst VTs shrieking that he thinks no one else is allowed to have an opinion on this because Marx.

More intelligent people than me are religious, doesnt mean I cant pour scorn on them if they tell me my soul is damned.

More intelligent people than me run about telling others what box they fit in based on nothing but opinions and theories. I think they can be told squarely to f**k off, and while you are obviously correct that it affects the way the world is run top to bottom, it follows from the above that I desperately hope the whole thing gets ripped down, once again, regardless of the opinion of Marx, or anyone else.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I know that, and I think it's wrong. It seems amongst VTs shrieking that he thinks no one else is allowed to have an opinion on this because Marx.

More intelligent people than me are religious, doesnt mean I cant pour scorn on them if they tell me my soul is damned.

More intelligent people than me run about telling others what box they fit in based on nothing but opinions and theories. I think they can be told squarely to f**k off, and while you are obviously correct that it affects the way the world is run top to bottom, it follows from the above that I desperately hope the whole thing gets ripped down, once again, regardless of the opinion of Marx, or anyone else.

Fair enough.

What VT thinks is seldom a reason to be bothered about anything.

2 minutes ago, Paco said:

Genuinely, what is your argument here? Lockdown shouldn’t have happened?

Yes. There is absolutely no evidence to support that our lockdown did anything that could not have been achieved by just introducing mitigating steps instead.

It was an absolute disaster, which will cause many times more deaths than the virus ever would have.

They are learning - keeping hospitality etc in Glasgow open is a sign of that - but the idea that the lockdown saved any lives needs put in the bin.